West Marine Amazon Price Match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The series was written by a pulitzer prize winner, though not for this work. Mike McIntire. He also parlayed it into a book, which contains just as many "discrepancies." I seriously doubt he cared what I had to say. It should have never gone to print, but that is "journalism" today.

Maybe so, Doug. Not trying to be argumentative, but there are always multiple points of view for any story. Have 20 people witness an event and you’ll get at least 18 variations. Reporters have to make judgements about who’s credible and how they’ll create a full account of things they haven’t witnessed. Everybody thinks it’s easy until they try it.

And what does any of the arguing currently taking place have to do with West Marine?

Answer: Nothing.

This was started as a good thread, good topic. West Marine has taken a bold step that benefits boaters. That's what is important to recognize.

Maybe so, Doug. Not trying to be argumentative, but there are always multiple points of view for any story. Have 20 people witness an event and you’ll get at least 18 variations. Reporters have to make judgements about who’s credible and how they’ll create a full account of things they haven’t witnessed. Everybody thinks it’s easy until they try it.

Don't worry, I didn't take it that you were being argumentative at all. I appreciate your informed view on things. I know it's not remotely the same as your experience, or his, but I minored in journalism in college and was editor in chief of my now defunct college newspaper. I learned enough to know it is a very tough job.

What bothered me about this situation, especially after the book came out, is that it was clear that the writer came in with an agenda that he wanted to prove....a strong preconceived notion. Or perhaps he saw an opportunity to spin a story in a way that would generate a lot of attention if he conveniently left out a lot of facts. I'm not sure which is worse.

My very close friend did the grunt work of the investigation for the PD, there were many key things left out of their coverage. He was never interviewed by the NYT. When the local paper presented a more objective series it was spun as home cooking in a tiny town (population 385,000) that had something to hide. Same thing was said about the State Attorney, even though he is employed by the third largest state in the US. I was really shocked when I watched it unfold. It shook my faith in journalism, to be honest.

Anyway, back to boats. My faith is still strong in them, lol.

Well I tried their price match today for 2 items
1. A Garmin GRA 10 rudder angle indicator adapter -WM was 199, Hodges 159 - so no problem they match it. A great start!
2. 10 feet of Shields 120 bilge hose 1 1/8, I found it on go 2 marine for 61 cents per foot - after 25 minutes on the phone with WM customer service they wouldn’t price match a $6 piece of hose because there was a one number difference in the item number when comparing WM and GO2Marines listing for the hose. I had really only done it to save shipping on the bilge hose.

So what started as a no problem nice customer service experience turned into a generally a misearable experience and waste of time with West Marine today. Surprised they would do that for a six dollar hose
Cheers
Eric

Last edited:
And what does any of the arguing currently taking place have to do with West Marine?

Answer: Nothing.

This was started as a good thread, good topic. West Marine has taken a bold step that benefits boaters. That's what is important to recognize.

I am shocked . . . shocked! . . . that we’ve had a thread drift on TF! :D

Anyway, back to boats. My faith is still strong in them, lol.

Ditto! Cheers, Doug. :thumb:

1. A Garmin GRA 10 rudder angle indicator adapter -WM was 199, Hodges 159 - so no problem they match it. A great start!
2. 10 feet of Shields 120 bilge hose 1 1/8, I found it on go 2 marine for 61 cents per foot - after 25 minutes on the phone with WM customer service they wouldn’t price match a $6 piece of hose because there was a one number difference in the item number when comparing WM and GO2Marines listing for the hose. I had really only done it to save shipping on the bilge hose.

So what started as a no problem nice customer service experience turned into a generally a misearable experience and waste of time with West Marine today. Surprised they would do that for a six dollar hose
Cheers
Eric
I’m surprised you would do that for a $6 hose. Skip the 25 minute call, pay the $6 and move along.

..2. 10 feet of Shields 120 bilge hose 1 1/8, I found it on go 2 marine for 61 cents per foot - after 25 minutes on the phone with WM customer service they wouldn’t price match a $6 piece of hose because there was a one number difference in the item number when comparing WM and GO2Marines listing for the hose. I had really only done it to save shipping on the bilge hose....Surprised they would do that for a six dollar hose
Eric
Suppose it depends how much WM was above $6.10,but you were saving freight,delay,etc. No surprise the 2 products have to be 100% identical.

I buy most of my supplies from them. It may more expensive but they have a good stock on hand I can have a good look the items before I buy them. If something doesn't work out they take it right back, no problem. The crew at the Houma store are friendly and very helpful like at other WM stores I have been in. Their rewards program will help get some of your costs back.
We were in Gulf Shores, Alabama when our shower pump went out, I checked the local WM store, none on hand. The manager found one in Pensacola WM one of their people brought it to my boat at the marina that evening.
That is hard to beat!

I buy most of my supplies from them. It may more expensive but they have a good stock on hand I can have a good look the items before I buy them. If something doesn't work out they take it right back, no problem. The crew at the Houma store are friendly and very helpful like at other WM stores I have been in. Their rewards program will help get some of your costs back.
We were in Gulf Shores, Alabama when our shower pump went out, I checked the local WM store, none on hand. The manager found one in Pensacola WM one of their people brought it to my boat at the marina that evening.
That is hard to beat!

Now that’s some good service! We’ve been to the Houma store a few times when we go to visit my parents. It’s not a huge store, but it’s bigger than the one here in Mandeville.

It's my understanding they have regular stores and also some larger super stores. For those of you who have shopped with them, have you noticed a difference? Do you have a preference?

It's my understanding they have regular stores and also some larger super stores. For those of you who have shopped with them, have you noticed a difference? Do you have a preference?

Some stores are bigger than others and there are smaller "West Marine Express" stores. If they don't have what you're looking for, they will get it. Sometimes tomorrow, sometimes within a week.

And this price match policy is not something new. They had this previously and then changed it to where they would only match local store prices.

We used to go to the small WM store in Spokane when our sailboat was on Lake Pend Oreille. They always were friendly and had what we needed. I was always amazed at what they crammed in that small space.

I have not been to a WM for many years, went today, purchased a propane (composite) tank. Was 169$ at WM and 99$ at Amazon. They matched. Still will frequent my local marine store (Harbor Marine) but will start to head for WM on certain things.

I have not been to a WM for many years, went today, purchased a propane (composite) tank. Was 169$ at WM and 99$ at Amazon. They matched. Still will frequent my local marine store (Harbor Marine) but will start to head for WM on certain things.

I'm sure that one shook them up a bit. My biggest matching episode was me once stopping at a Fry's Electronics in the Dallas area when I was visiting my wife prior to our wedding. We'd just looked at several things online including some software but hadn't ordered. They had a huge sign saying they matched online. Well, I got carried away and loaded my cart with $800 at their prices but $250 at match prices. Some $299 software was available from Amazon for $79. Hope WM handled it much better than them though. Turns out the salesman can't do a discount of that amount. Need a manager. Manager is in a meeting. This goes on and finally I go to the customer service counter and still they won't get the manager so I tell a person there to call whoever the manager reports to at corporate. I don't know if they were just incompetent or just hoping I'd give up. I wasn't going to let them off the hook now. Magically manager emerged from meeting. He was very angry and rude, but I got the discount and left and called corporate as I did.

I have price matched at Office Depot with no problems. I just scan the items using Shop Savvy and it pulls up other prices which I show at the register. I know a girl who price matches at Wal-mart on groceries. She goes in with the other grocery ads. I'd hate being behind her in line, as bad as coupons.

West Marine probably made nothing on your sale. Probably a special buy of some sort on Amazon, but perhaps they still made $10 or $20. Even if not, still the cheapest customer acquisition they could do. Customer acquisition costs are outrageous for some companies and yet they won't spend the same for customer retention. At $169, they had no customer. At $99, they have one. Cost of acquiring you was zero. They didn't lose $70 as they never had a chance of getting it.

I'm sure that one shook them up a bit. My biggest matching episode was me once stopping at a Fry's Electronics in the Dallas area when I was visiting my wife prior to our wedding. We'd just looked at several things online including some software but hadn't ordered. They had a huge sign saying they matched online. Well, I got carried away and loaded my cart with $800 at their prices but $250 at match prices. Some $299 software was available from Amazon for $79. Hope WM handled it much better than them though. Turns out the salesman can't do a discount of that amount. Need a manager. Manager is in a meeting. This goes on and finally I go to the customer service counter and still they won't get the manager so I tell a person there to call whoever the manager reports to at corporate. I don't know if they were just incompetent or just hoping I'd give up. I wasn't going to let them off the hook now. Magically manager emerged from meeting. He was very angry and rude, but I got the discount and left and called corporate as I did.

I have price matched at Office Depot with no problems. I just scan the items using Shop Savvy and it pulls up other prices which I show at the register. I know a girl who price matches at Wal-mart on groceries. She goes in with the other grocery ads. I'd hate being behind her in line, as bad as coupons.

West Marine probably made nothing on your sale. Probably a special buy of some sort on Amazon, but perhaps they still made $10 or $20. Even if not, still the cheapest customer acquisition they could do. Customer acquisition costs are outrageous for some companies and yet they won't spend the same for customer retention. At $169, they had no customer. At $99, they have one. Cost of acquiring you was zero. They didn't lose $70 as they never had a chance of getting it.

100% agree, amazing what price match and a reasonable return policy will do for a company in loyalty. I buy from amazon not because it’s the cheapest, but because it’s reasonable and convenient. I shop at harbor marine because they have (more times than not) what I need even though they are far from cheap, I will now shop at WM because they have great prices ( because of match) and want to keep them around and near the boat.

Cheers
Eric

I would love it if West became competitive again. But until THEY go do their pricing homework rather than ask me to do it, and THEY offer competitive pricing in the first place rather than making me request it, and THEY don't waste my time haggling over price like they wasted yours, I'll continue to use them only as a last resort.

We spent close to $3k there the other day.
One of the things we bought was a Magma grill. Unpacked it when we got to the boat to find out it was used. The grills looked like someone had just cooked a meal on it and didn’t even bother to try and clean it. It was gross.
It was a pain because we had to go all the way back to the store in Fort Myers to exchange it.
Obviously someone returned it and they just stuck it back on the shelf.
David was not happy about the whole thing but mostly the time wasted to go and exchange it. We made sure to open the box and check the new one before we left the store.

I matched on a float switch purchase a few days ago. WM $40. Brought up Defender on my phone and showed the store manager the $32 price. She verified the part number and rang me up for $32 plus tax. No problem. Piece of cake.

I am a bog Amazon shopper. The problem with all of us buying online is that many of our brick and mortar stores will close. It's nice to be able to walk in and buy what I need. So in response to the OP, I have no problem letting WM (or any other brick and mortar store) price match. Just my .02

I am a bog Amazon shopper. The problem with all of us buying online is that many of our brick and mortar stores will close. It's nice to be able to walk in and buy what I need. So in response to the OP, I have no problem letting WM (or any other brick and mortar store) price match. Just my .02

I agree. I like to feel and squeeze the things. And if I wanted it tomorrow I would go the the store tomorrow.

I agree, but increasingly when I go into a retail store, they don't have what I need. It seems that many are reducing inventory to cut costs, but in doing so are accelerating their own death by undermining the primary reason people still visit retail stores.

We may save money in the short run but suffer over time. I shopped in a small neighborhood hardware store, Lowe’s and Home Depot took much of their business. The owner complained to me more than once that is business had shrunk that he would have to close. He did and I regretted the closing as I hate large stores that don’t provide the service the family store did.

......Customer acquisition costs are outrageous for some companies and yet they won't spend the same for customer retention.......

Banks are the worst !!

I went into a local bank to get change for a $100 bill....I was the only customer in there...and they said "they only make change for their customers"!!! I was stunned. Here they had a chance to create some goodwill at no cost to them, and they couldn't see it.

What was even more ironic was they had a promotion going on at the time that if you opened a checking account they would give you $25. So the corporate office was spending money to attract customers, but the front line employees weren't on board.

....sorry for the thread drift.

I like to feel and squeeze the things.

Careful what you say, you can get in trouble for that sort of thing. Or elected president.

I agree, but increasingly when I go into a retail store, they don't have what I need. It seems that many are reducing inventory to cut costs, but in doing so are accelerating their own death by undermining the primary reason people still visit retail stores.

This has been my biggest issue with WM, too. I hope they fix that, along with the other changes they're making. They need to understand that asking a customer to wait a week for the next store delivery isn't going to cut it nowadays.

We may save money in the short run but suffer over time... The owner complained to me more than once that is business had shrunk that he would have to close. He did and I regretted the closing as I hate large stores that don’t provide the service the family store did.

Same with our neighborhood hardware store. Although there was a happy ending. The owners retired and got a boat, while the new owner made it into a distillery. Win-win-win.

Seriously though, having a hardware store close by was handy for me, but not very efficient. They didn't do enough in sales to justify the inventory they maintained. The only way the owners kept it going was they also ran a construction business, and used the store as their warehouse. The husband did the construction and the wife ran the store.

These are all great examples of capitalism. Someone will always find a way to make a buck through innovation, technology or just plain clever use of resources. There's a reason Amazon is doing so well.

for new boaters Defender Marine offers (at least used to) a discount to those outfitting a boat...call customer service.

I would think others might negotiate depending how much you spend.

I recently had a great experience at WM. Usually I go to Fisheries Supply as it's closer to my boat, is well stocked, has smart, experienced people who are super friendly and helpful, etc. but, I needed to return something to WM so I thought I'd see if they had two vented loops. They did, but at $79 they were almost double what Fisheries sells them for. I show the person as the counter (who also happened to be the new store manager) that item at Fisheries on my phone and bam, same price.

She then let me know the company is now private with a new CEO and they are changing things. Price matching, service, in store training and events, etc. They are also building a new showcase store here in Seattle to replace the one on 15th which according to her is too small to stock what the market needs.

I just purchased 4 Taylor Made fenders from West Marine and they matched the Amazon price over the phone. $261 WM total reduced it to $181 to the iBoat/Amazon price. (fenders go on sale in the spring but I didn't want to wait)

"$261 WM total reduced it to $181 to the iBoat/Amazon price."

WOW almost a 50% markup for most customers.

Folks, remember stores must make a reasonable profit to remain in business.
Failure to make a profit, the will close the store.
It used to be a reasonable profit was about 30%.

Greetings,
Mr. OD. I don't begrudge a store a reasonable profit. One of my relatives used to work at WM and on occasion I was able to apply his employee discount to my purchases. To the best of my recollection, it was in the 40% range which was still above WM's cost. I think he said WM's cost was 20% below his discounted price.

That being said, I was at WM on the weekend and the associate actually looked up the item on the Defender site and applied the Defender price to my purchase. Saved $3 on a $25 item.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom