'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should have said "available for refund" or something like that.

Again, I think they are really lame people behaving as they are, but just trying to keep it in context.

Wifey B: Definitely not the end of the world. Not the end of my world. Not even in my world. :ermm: One of those things we read about but in reality it doesn't affect any of us so getting too upset about it makes no sense. :eek:

Just as there are a lot more worthy things to raise funds for, there are a lot more worthy things for us to devote our energy too. Now, as an interesting topic for a recreational boat forum, then it's fine. :)

Glad to see the tone of this thread take a turn in the last day or so. I have no desire to defend them, either, but holy... most ado I’ve seen about something that affected no one in quite some time.
But here I am commenting on an Internet forum, so no room to cast stones...

Glad to see the tone of this thread take a turn in the last day or so. I have no desire to defend them, either, but holy... most ado I’ve seen about something that affected no one in quite some time.
But here I am commenting on an Internet forum, so no room to cast stones...

Wifey B: The stone I'll cast is a big one though. People doing what this couple did and others cheering them on does lead to more totally unprepared people trying the same and being encouraged to do so and ultimately leads to some injuries and even deaths. There is a certain portion of the sailboat world that encourages sailing across oceans even if you have zero experience and they always site someone who made it, never those who didn't. This couple is certainly less offensive than the four dogs recently (oh that was wicked but I can't use the other word for two of them on this site). They didn't have a string of lies. People just need also to be careful how much encouragement they give of such behavior. The guy who gave them the boat could be very regretful of that if something happens. I only hope they get a little training and start the next trip better prepared. :)

Better to have interior ballast with the keel an integral part of the hull and not an add-on.

Most production sailboats have bolted on keels. Collectively they rack up a lot of sea miles every year. Nothing wrong with that as a design.

Most production sailboats have bolted on keels. Collectively they rack up a lot of sea miles every year. Nothing wrong with that as a design.

Unless one knocks off the keel. If they were automobiles, they'd been recalled. :eek:

"I still give money to homeless people when I know that I just paid for booze or crack, so I really can't say anything."

Hope springs eternal,

I still vote for folks that went to skool to be Liars for Hire , and mostly failed , so became politicos.

Same promises since IKE , "clean up waste fraud and corruption ", not happening yet.

"I still give money to homeless people when I know that I just paid for booze or crack, so I really can't say anything."

Hope springs eternal,

I still vote for folks that went to skool to be Liars for Hire , and mostly failed , so became politicos.

Same promises since IKE , "clean up waste fraud and corruption ", not happening yet.

and "Beware of the military industrial complex"

Wow Mr Cross certainly earns kudos with that backwoods engineering.

Guess OSHA has pretty much given up on that sawmill :cool:

Wow Mr Cross certainly earns kudos with that backwoods engineering.

Guess OSHA has pretty much given up on that sawmill :cool:

It does look like an arm gobbler.

Conall

Greetings,
"Just grab somethin' and see what happens..." Gotta love scientific explanations.

Mr. RTF, that was my approach the first time I took our new to us trawler out. Luckily I grabbed the two black knobs by the wheel and we went straight.

Mr. RTF, that was my approach the first time I took our new to us trawler out. Luckily I grabbed the two black knobs by the wheel and we went straight.
That`s no way to refer to your crew :D.

Last edited:
Like real estate, they're not making any more of it.

The strong slow-grown old wild stuff anyway.

Like the 150-lb salmon the early PNW fishermen used to catch. . .

That old growth needs to be investigate with a metal detector before putting a saw into it.
Not unusual to find a RR spike or nails. They have to be dug out first or chew up and break the band saw blade. Once that blade breaks, run away, quickly.

Ain't nobody can run that fast.

Operator really should be shielded.

Prolly that timber's virgin, getting pulled out of the back swamps

Having survived that long with that setup, Mr Cross knows what he's doing.

Bet lots of missing bits in the family going way back :cool:

Oh yea, just reminding you?
Up north, folks think it is proper to shoot at black walnut trees. That can ruin the black walnut logs for many things.
All the sawyers I talked with said they had never found a black walnut log without metal in it.
Even in the south, the sawyers scan the pine logs for metal.
Band saws are not tolerant if metal.
I was a professional forester for over 20 years.

Last edited:
Cool sawmill - classic redneck engineering - and I know of which I speak:thumb::thumb: In high school we bought a used army truck (army surplus 4 ton 6x6) - but it had a massive scissor lift on the back instead of a bed - was used to lift bombs into belly of bomber planes! We got an old truck bed also, and cut the lift down a bit and mounted/welded the bed onto the scissor lift - Rube Goldberg would have been so proud. We bolted 2x4's across the bed (when we lifted it up the bed was tilted back a bit - 2x4's kept the deck chairs from sliding off - we took it to many sporting events - when lifted up we were about 15' off of the ground - great views:thumb: When we all went off to college we sold it to some pulp wood haulers who stripped off our contraption and mounted wood racks. Powerful machine indeed, and so much fun.

FoxtrotCharlie, be glad OSHA didn't see it. LOL
Or maybe that was before OSHA.
Ah yes, the good old days of "Here's watch this. Hold my beer."

FoxtrotCharlie, be glad OSHA didn't see it. LOL
Or maybe that was before OSHA.
Ah yes, the good old days of "Here's watch this. Hold my beer."

Yep, it was definitely a "hold my beer ... " event. And I was so proud the afternoon my son (high school jr at the time) called and said "Dad, we've found this old school bus we want to buy and fix up to go to football games, track meets..." Makes a Dad happy when his son follows in his steps:hide: When those boys went off to college, they sold that diesel bus to a guy that took it to Guatemala to his home village to start a transportation business!

Last edited:
I found this in some larch when I was building the frames for our boat last summer. Lead and copper are pretty soft so I wouldn't worry about bullets. I didn't even know I hit it until assembly time when it caught my eye.

IMG_4492.jpg

I found this in some larch when I was building the frames for our boat last summer. Lead and copper are pretty soft so I wouldn't worry about bullets. I didn't even know I hit it until assembly time when it caught my eye.

IMG_4492.jpg

Yup, framing no problem but think about peeling it into veneer and trying to match the panels.

IMG_4492.jpg

How did it get in there without disturbing the grain??

If I recall correctly, larch is not noted for being a 'hard' hard wood, like white oak and live oak, combined with the velocity of the projectile.

All of the wood outside of the bullet is new wood - formed in the years following the bullet strike. The tree heals the wound and continues to produce new growth over top of the damaged area.
Drive a nail into a tree 5' off the ground, and come back ten years later. The nail will still be 5' off the ground, but partially "swallowed".
Come back maybe thirty years later, the nail will still be there, but you won't be able to see it without a metal detector.

All of the wood outside of the bullet is new wood - formed in the years following the bullet strike. The tree heals the wound and continues to produce new growth over top of the damaged area.
Drive a nail into a tree 5' off the ground, and come back ten years later. The nail will still be 5' off the ground, but partially "swallowed".
Come back maybe thirty years later, the nail will still be there, but you won't be able to see it without a metal detector.

But, look at it. the grain is across it. It had to enter from SOME direction and unless it went straight end on into the wood so that the path is hidden ....or.....it was laid on the surface and glued in place as the tree grew over it.......nope, I dont see it.

Back
Top Bottom