Oil filter equivalent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Would like to upgrade my Fram PH8A oil filters on my FL 135's and was looking at good ratings on the Mobile 1 filters. The cross reference charts I find show nothing compatible but I see comments referencing the Mobile 1 M1-301. One even said that the PH8A is listed on the M1-301 box. Other choice is the NAPA Platinum 41515. Hopefully I don't star an oil filter war... just feel like I could do better than the Fram.

Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..

Last edited:
That's exactly what happened. Getting ready to change oil and thought I would investigate a little and didn't like what I saw so...looking for a replacement. I know the two I mentioned are triple the cost of others but no big deal given how often they are changed and I don't think this is an area to save money on.

What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

I use WIX filters. They are pretty good.

Look at YouTube cutaways/reviews of Frams. You'll never use one again. I'm a fan of the Napa's and use them for both oil and fuel. No cardboard internals, much larger filtration area etc. Your mileage may vary..

What filter is the engine supposed to use? What does the owners manual recommend?

NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted

I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.

All the Owners Manual says is to use a "Full flow, disposable cartridge, spin on." These are 1987 FL SP135's. Fram's were on the engines when I bought it 11 months ago.

NAPA filters are made by WIX. WIX also builds for OEM. A Deere and a WiX filter are identical down to the internal stamp marks, just different exterior paint. You will also find WIX makes all kinds of fuel filters like the ones on my Deere, the Kabota engine in my Onan generator, and the final fuel filters on my B And C series Cummins engines.

Fleetfilters.com is a good source for them. They and WIX have online converts to cross most other brands to WiX filters.

Ted

From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.

I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.

I’m pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but i’ve never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.

Fleetguard has an excellent cross reference tool, and they are another quality brand. Google cummins filtration and you should find it.

From what I have read, to say one brand is bad totally is incorrect as the manufacturers like WIX build to different standards. One may be great while another not so much. If I remember right there are only 3 major companies that make all of the filters. Again, to different standards. Color. Logos. I believe the WIX 41515 is the exact same as the NAPA Platinum 1515.

Not sure what you're saying or implying. It is my understanding that WIX filters meet or exceed OEM standards. If you disagree, please provide a link to your information source.

Ted

I use the Napa (1515) ( made by Wix)on my Sp135's. These are Ford diesel's and these are regular Ford filters they have used for many years. You can usually find a NAPA store in every small or large town, anywhere in the US.

I worked for in the auto parts business for over 35 years and have sold hundreds of them.

You guys are absolutely right about Fram being all cardboard inside. Million's of dollars spent on marketing gets lots of filters sold, no matter what the quality is.
No, not all Fram filters are all cardboard inside. Their Ultra Synthetic model uses dual-layer synthetic media. Lots of misinformation out there on Fram filters. That Youtube stuff is old news perpetrated by the uninformed. My choice, however, is Amsoil filters but my second choise would be a Fram synthetic media filter.
I would suggest cross-referencing from the original. Unless the manufacturer recommended the Fram, I wouldn't cross-reference from that.

I’m pretty sure that PH8A is an oil filter designed for ford passenger cars. You can try cross referencing it to Baldwin filters. I use wix, Baldwin and cats because of the ease to acquire but i’ve never Seen an oil filter fail when changed out every 100 hours.
No, the PH8A is not designed for Fords. Where do folks get these ideas? Filters, all filters, have a thread and body size. If it fits, use it as long as it has a by-pass valve ( most do) if your engine requires a by-pass valve.

Most domestic v8's pre 1990's used that size filter. It will cross to many different mfg and should be able to get just about anywhere. Baldwin numbers a b2.

The Fram PH8A is definitely a Ford car and truck filter. I was selling them back in the early 70's until I retired in 2009. They may have made some improvements since then. They needed to!!

Fit the 260,289,302,351,352,360,390,428,429,460, engines. Also some early Chrysler. Doesn't fit today's vehicles as the manufactures have gone to much smaller filters on most of their models.

There was previous discussion of this and a useful video posted of a guy reviewing a number of brands of filters, including cutting them open to compare and evaluate. Someone with more time might be able to locate it.

I've always used NAPA filters in my cars, trucks and boats. I know a lot of people put down the Fram filters, but if they are really as bad as so many people say how come they are still in business after all these years?

I prefer to use Fleetguard filters, they were highly regarded in the heavy equipment industry, and Tony Athens reccomeds them for marine applications, which is a golden reference, IMO.
There are huge differences, even within a brand, so due diligence is required to make the right choice.

OK guys before jumping to conclusions...well on TF I know that aint gonna happen....

The remote filter adapter for my 120, and I bet a boatload of other engines with generic aftermarket remote filter adapters will accept many models of filters.

I know the remote adapter for the 120 will take a motorcraft FL-1A, which I think is the same as a PH8A and Purolator LS 30001.

If an adapter, then it may take many more numbers as long as the threads match and the o ring snugs against tbe bottom plate.

So, use a filter of choice, but dont feel like it has to be engine specific, just has to fit the adspter if it is one.

Last edited:

Agreed, should be thinking of other things. Just thought since I was about to buy new filters for the oil change, none came with the boat, I would investigate a little. I thought I'd spend 5 minutes to search and decide on a good filter, order them, and move on. Nope. Not that easy. It's a boat.

Fleetguard has an excellent cross reference tool, and they are another quality brand. Google cummins filtration and you should find it.

Thanks, used their cross reference and they don't have anything that matches the Fram or the Mobile 1 M1-301 which is shown on other cross ref. charts.

Surely someone on this forum with SP135's knows the specific oil filter part number they use. Its not that hard of a question.

I prefer to use Fleetguard filters, they were highly regarded in the heavy equipment industry, and Tony Athens reccomeds them for marine applications, which is a golden reference, IMO.

Fleetguard certainly makes good filters. Think part of Tony's recommendation comes Fleetguard's willingness to make filters for his fuel filter system. Unless I'm mistaken, they are the only ones making filters for his system.

Ted

Thanks everyone. Think I will go with the NAPA or WIX 51515. Their "Platinum" filter which seems to have some better features and are available pretty much everywhere I look. Will do so knowing that the extra $5 will mostly likely only go towards making me feel good about it. :)

I use Wix filters on my FL135s and my generator. Oil tests at the end of each season have always come back excellent so I know the filters are doing their jobs.

Oops, not so fast. One last question. I have seen some filters that come in a "2 quart" version. I assume they are longer and have more filter media? Any REAL benefit to these?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom