West Marine Amazon Price Match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you been to the Jacksonville Florida WM? It is HUGE!!! Has lots of stuff and a great place to spend a few hours!! Wish all the WM were this big!

I am a port supply customer too and I have found WM very competitive for most of their items, especially large items. Simple stuff yes you can find it cheaper via website, but then after shipping and waiting a week, same price as WM.

We do have Fisheries, Sure Marine and others about 2 hours up the road, Those of you you on the east coast have Defenders. Still the WM in Jackson is amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a sign of change in WM and instead of people taking shots at them, I would think would be welcomed. Not sure of their price match rules, but most who price match Amazon, only do so on items being sold by Amazon, not third parties.

I think we need West Marine to survive and to succeed as in many areas they are all we have. We don't regularly use them, but we use other local suppliers and we source from manufacturers. However, if I could get the same price or even close from them as from Amazon, I'd always choose WM. I do shop Amazon but mainly for items I don't know where to find locally and some commodity items. 2018 is going to be the year Wal-mart out Amazons Amazon though. Sadly, Amazon was built on service and now it's a technology company, not a service company and that's not going over well. So, I applaud this move by WM and hope it is one that works for them.

For many of us, even in larger markets, West Marine is the only "brick and mortar" marine store. Sure, you might find some stuff at Walmart or a sporting goods store but basically, West Marine is our place unless we have the time to wait and get what we need from an Internet vendor.

Someone made a comment about the lack of knowledge of the staff. That has not been my experience. If a staff member doesn't know they answer, they will find someone who does. I've had them call the manufacturer or another staff member at home. And of course you can look at and measure a product before you buy it and bring it back if it doesn't fit or work for you. I would hate to see West Marine stores disappear. In many ways, West Marine "earns" their (sometimes) higher prices.

As for the price matching policy, at one time they would match any price, Internet or local. They changed that to just local stores. It would surprise me if they matched amazon.com prices but I haven't asked them to so I don't know if they do or not at this time.

The people at our local WM store are very friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately, it’s a small store so unless it’s a very basic item, they may not have it.

Ask and they will get it. Usually within a week.

If I know exactly what I want, I'll often order it on Scamazon but if I need the help or info of someone with expertise, or just need it today, I'll gladly pay the additional cost of supporting a brick and mortar store. However, there is only one person at my West Marine whom I trust for her knowledge and advice.

Last edited:
If I know exactly what I want, I'll often order it on Scamazon but if I need the help or info of someone with expertise, or just need it today, I'll gladly pay the additional cost of supporting a brick and mortar store. However, there is only one person at my West Marine whom I trust for her knowledge and advice.

isnt that one more than ordering online thankfully?

and I dont think West has many counterfeit items.

I appreciate the "I need it NOW" sentiment. Been there, done that, and had buy wherever I could get it, at whatever price was charged.

But in many places there are still independent, brick and mortar marine stores. Rose Marine in Gloucester MA, Hamilton in Portland ME, Defender in CT, Jamestown in RI, Fisheries in Seattle, SeaMar in Seattle, Marine Exchange in San Diego, I'm forgetting their name in Sitka. And these are just the ones I've run into.

These are all excellent stores with inventory on the shelves or a day away, normal prices at a discount off list price as opposed to a markup over list price, knowledgeable staff, and top quality stuff. I'm not talking about mail order, or bargain shopping for the cheapest price. These are apples to apples, retail to retail comparison's to a WM store, and are universally better in all dimensions.

WM may have killed off a lot of local stores, but man are still around are around and better than ever, and superior to WM in every way.

The people at our local WM store are very friendly and helpful.
Unfortunately, it’s a small store so unless it’s a very basic item, they may not have it.

Ask and they will get it. Usually within a week.

I don't have anything against WM. I shop there when they have what I need. The people there are usually pretty nice, even knowledgeable. Sometimes you can actually get things at a fair price.

That said, The problem with ordering an item for in-store pickup is they seem to only get one delivery a week. With so many on-line options, waiting up to a week then finding my way back to the store (our local stores aren't that convenient) is not worth it.

I've also noticed lately that they've been way to aggressive about inventory reduction. Sometimes they only have one in stock - of things that are needed in pairs. It's just not worth the aggravation sometimes.

I keep hoping things will improve. Having another local brick-and-mortar is always a good thing.

needed flares this week...WM $29 and new. other stores 1yr old flares, and $39.

it is what it is.....

needed flares this week...WM $29 and new. other stores 1yr old flares, and $39.

it is what it is.....

There is no one that is always best in inventory or prices. That leaves people with two choices. 1-Patronize the store that serves their needs best and accept that on some things they may have to wait or may not get the lowest price unless the store price matches. 2-Shop many stores and sites and decide individually on each purchase going to considerable effort to get the best deals.

I had an aunt who went grocery shopping every Friday night. She went to at least three stores, working from the newspaper ads for the week so she paid the lowest price and got all the specials. All I remember is when I was at her house on Fridays nearly starving while waiting for her to get home from grocery shopping. Did she save money? Probably even after the extra mileage if one doesn't put a cost on her time her husband's time.

I've always tried to find someone I liked patronizing and giving the majority of my business to. We purchase OEM and from manufacturers and from a local wholesaler. However, if I wasn't doing that, the West Marine price match would make me very likely to buy everything from them.

A couple of you mentioned Port Supply. Recently a yacht manager friend of mine was shocked that WM would not provide any port supply discount on YETI products. Have you encountered that on other products?

I've been watching this, and it's one of the better prices I've seen yet. WM actually had it for $10 less a while ago, but it's still about the best price you're going to see. Very close to what you can get it for on eBay today, and far less risky.

It's almost identical to my 740s, with the addition of WiFi, video input and Active Captain data display. I would love to upgrade but just can't seem to justify it right now. Otherwise I'd jump on it!

West Marine's price matching policy has eased up considerably. My local West Marine has matched Defenders online Miami boat show sale prices. One item was not in stock so they shipped it to my house for free! Making it cost less than buying at the Defender Sale.

I think West Marine is moving in the right Direction!

I have a Port Supply card so I have access to more than West Marine.
WM does give me a discount but not always as great as other suppliers.
I also have a Port Supply card but haven't found any other stores that honor it.:blush:

I get the sentiment, but truthfully, I gladly pay extra $$ on those days when I'm desperate for an item to complete the project. Like everyone, I now do my shopping online--but I also support WM because I NEED them to be there for me! Plus, the Anacortes store is less than a mile from my boat :)) I say give them some slack.

This is my sentiment as well (and one that I’ve expressed repeatedly here).

My Son’s generation doesn’t get it. He and his would rather save a buck ordering from even the slimiest operator today, and not worry about maybe needing that brick and mortar operation in the future. I don’t mind spending a little more to keep the local chandler, or even my local West Marine.

BOW honors it but not based on it being theirs. Competitor honoring.

Make a note: In 2 months I will be back in the Ft Lauderdale area and I will scrounge up the name and address of the place that sells to BOW IF you remind me.

Make a note: In 2 months I will be back in the Ft Lauderdale area and I will scrounge up the name and address of the place that sells to BOW IF you remind me.

I'll save you the effort. D. S. Hull Company. They are the same company. BOW honors Hull discounts and pricing. Also, the owner has a company, Yacht Equipment and Parts.

I'll save you the effort. D. S. Hull Company. They are the same company. BOW honors Hull discounts and pricing. Also, the owner has a company, Yacht Equipment and Parts.

and one more in the same neighborhood a ways back from the restaurant

and one more in the same neighborhood a ways back from the restaurant

Another name for Yacht Equipment and Parts, BOW Worldwide Yacht Supply. A couple of decades ago this all came out of Cable Marine and some employees buying this operation.

Another name for Yacht Equipment and Parts, BOW Worldwide Yacht Supply. A couple of decades ago this all came out of Cable Marine and some employees buying this operation.

Cable Marine is a fantastic organization. They reworked the bow thruster of my Nordhavn, increasing the HP and changing out the prop to make if more useful. Plus did a bit of electronic work for me too.
I would recommend them without hesitation. They have at least 2 yards in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Cable Marine is a fantastic organization. They reworked the bow thruster of my Nordhavn, increasing the HP and changing out the prop to make if more useful. Plus did a bit of electronic work for me too.
I would recommend them without hesitation. They have at least 2 yards in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Cable is well respected. Two yards.

Port Supply, West Marine
DS Hull, Boat Owners Warehouse

Interesting as both have a wholesale entity and retail stores. West Marine has relabeled things as West Marine Pro and not really a separate entity now as much as just discount pricing. The discount is all a matter of what level they classify you though. Seems yards at a lower level, yacht managers at a mid level. Port Supply was highly regarded by yacht managers and yards. West Marine Pro less so. As a result some rebuilding needs to happen there too. Thing is that they don't wholesale all products so there are products so can be confusing.

DS Hull offers a single wholesale pricing that includes yards and yacht managers. Typically they are less than West Marine Pro/Port Supply. Therefore in South Florida they have the business of yacht management companies and yards over West. Now, of course, they aren't local to most of the country so lose elsewhere.

So, in South Florida we'll talk Hull/BOW vs. West but it's not relevant to most areas. It's like those in CT talking Defender's store. Well, it's just one store.

Some areas have local chandler's and some of those are very good. HopCar is a great example. A lot in the PNW. However, most areas of the country either don't have them or the ones they have are not really very good.

We're not West Marine Shoppers, but I am a WM supporter. I hope they make the moves to be successful. I believe the boating community of the country greatly needs them and can benefit from their presence. There isn't another choice nationwide. I'm impressed by two moves. One is the aggressive price matching and the other is the re-evaluation of their product mix. I hope these things work for them.

Their prices are higher, but WM and the local stores have always been fair with me.

I confess to using Amazon a lot, but Brick and mortar stores are handy as others have noted so I use them whenever possible. Amazon has its issues including a fake pair of Hobie sunglasses I once received.

I don’t recognize the world we live in from 30 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve found that some items sold on Amazon with the free shipping (i.e. Amazon Prime), end up being less at other sites even after the shipping, so it pays to shop around.

I get what I can at “Western Marine” (no affiliation with West Marine) and it’s generally competitive locally. Other stuff (like Sac anodes, etc.) I get mail order from the US and sent to Point Roberts.

Last edited:
I confess to using Amazon a lot, but Brick and mortar stores are handy as others have noted so I use them whenever possible..

We use Amazon far less than we once did. Others have stepped up. The advantage of Amazon was delivery. Well, you can get same day or next day office supplies from Office Depot, Walmart matches all Amazon's delivery, you can get Costco delivery with Instacart. Google delivers from Bed, Bath and Beyond but then they also offer free delivery and 20% discounts for $29.99 a year.

In my opinion, the trend is actually toward online sales from stores with Brick and Mortar. It may be too late, but in my opinion if Sear or JC Penney wanted to save themselves it would be to have all stores online and delivery from your local store on online orders at no cost and either same day or next day. We have all store inventories online and deliver from all.

I think adding the ability to actually communicate with the person pulling your order is a huge advantage too. It's like having a personal shopper.

Grocers have it right now. Especially Albertsons/Safeway, etc. Deliver from the store. They failed years ago with central warehouses as that just added cost. They also use store inventory online. That's who we think is on the right path.

Amazon knows the flaws in their system are now exposed. They're seeing the results of what is now a very impersonal customer service and the lack of physical presence.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom