Hi-Low table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Ok now that we are buying a new boat, I’m going to be posting a lot and bugging the crap out of everybody...lol

Does anyone know of a source to buy a nice sturdy wooden hi-low table that doesn’t cost $3k-4K ??!?!?!

Every boat built in the make and model of the boat we’re buying came with a table that looks like this. It isn’t a hi-low table. You can see it has hinged sides so it folds out to make it larger. For whatever reason, at some point in time it was removed from the boat so there’s no dinette table. We have a small coffee table but I’d like a table to eat at.

Attachments

• 3762D35D-3763-4FF1-87CB-1C6CAF08ED6C.jpg
    3762D35D-3763-4FF1-87CB-1C6CAF08ED6C.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 157
I didn’t realize they were so expensive. My table folds out but it’s also a high low. I open it often because I do a lot of entertaining. When I don’t have it high, I have it folded and down low to use as a coffee table. I have been taking it for granted! Geez, don’t want to replace that!

Did you try the standard sites like Craig’s list and eBay? You can always refinish it if you buy it second hand.

Yeah, they are expensive, otherwise I’d probably have one, but I have seen quite a few high-low pedestals (gas assist and electric) in Marine Thrift, Salvage and Surplus stores around FL. Used pedestals run 450-1000 and nice table tops are better found on non-marine sights or Craigslist if you don’t need to use teak.

Of course, there’s always this convertable automan from Crate & Barrel. I’ve been looking at this design, maybe with thinking I would coppy the mechanicals for my own home built version. It could be made with expanding leaves also, but it’s going to be heavy.

Attachments

• 80A3EFD2-BA0C-410E-B37D-F3984A32A144.jpg
    80A3EFD2-BA0C-410E-B37D-F3984A32A144.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 195FA845-8627-4BA6-AE44-F4E57CCA214C.jpg
    195FA845-8627-4BA6-AE44-F4E57CCA214C.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I didn’t realize they were so expensive. My table folds out but it’s also a high low. I open it often because I do a lot of entertaining. When I don’t have it high, I have it folded and down low to use as a coffee table. I have been taking it for granted! Geez, don’t want to replace that!

Did you try the standard sites like Craig’s list and eBay? You can always refinish it if you buy it second hand.

The ones I’ve found so far are stupid expensive. I don’t need it to be teak or any exotic wood.
I’m still on the hunt.
We called Cruisers Yachts first to see if the original table was still available but they said the company that made those particular tables for them went out of business.
They sent us a picture of tables they are using on new boats and they won’t work well for our boat at all so looking for another option.

Yeah, they are expensive, otherwise I’d probably have one, but I have seen quite a few high-low pedestals (gas assist and electric) in Marine Thrift, Salvage and Surplus stores around FL. Used pedestals run 450-1000 and nice table tops are better found on non-marine sights or Craigslist if you don’t need to use teak.

Of course, there’s always this convertable automan from Crate & Barrel. I’ve been looking at this design, maybe with thinking I would coppy the mechanicals for my own home built version. It could be made with expanding leaves also, but it’s going to be heavy.

That’s pretty neat!

The variable height cabin table is often intended as table when set high and part of a bed when set low, rather than as a dining/coffee table. Ours is that type and as you`d hope is solidly built, on a heavy steel tube(?10" diameter). It has a rotation "turntable', and is asymmetric when rotated, so the edge on one long side is supported by and integrated with a narrow ledge on the fixed seating which also forms part of the bed. The complexity may account for the cost(well, for some of it:)).

The variable height cabin table is often intended as table when set high and part of a bed when set low, rather than as a dining/coffee table. Ours is that type and as you`d hope is solidly built, on a heavy steel tube(?10" diameter). It has a rotation "turntable', and is asymmetric when rotated, so the edge on one long side is supported by and integrated with a narrow ledge on the fixed seating which also forms part of the bed. The complexity may account for the cost(well, for some of it:)).

Yup, that’s exactly what I have. No need for the extra sleeping space, so coffee/dining table is what I use it for.

If I was in your situation, I would take some measurements, draw up some plans, head for the lumber yard and then to the garage where my tools are.

A skilled (or in my case, semi skilled) woodworker could make exactly what you want in any size and any finish. If you want to be able to raise and lower it, adjustable bases are available in the marine world (often used for seats). Gas struts will help to raise it.

Since making the table yourself didn't automatically come to mind, I'm assuming that you are not handy with woodworking tools so my suggestion is to look around town for someone to make you a table. Someone with a woodworking hobby may be less expensive than a professional but be sure to see some of his work first.

I was on a boat last summer with a hi/lo table. Just push a button to raise/lower it. I don't think it cost $4K-$5K either, unless you only wanted the mirror finish varnish job on it (i.e., just the varnish without the table).

By using a seat pedestal the table will be adjustable both up and down and slid if required .

On RV we have use 2 seat sliding sections back to back to extend the tables range of motion..

try googling boat table hi-lo under IMAGES. Lots of products and ideas to choose.

If I was in your situation, I would take some measurements, draw up some plans, head for the lumber yard and then to the garage where my tools are.

A skilled (or in my case, semi skilled) woodworker could make exactly what you want in any size and any finish. If you want to be able to raise and lower it, adjustable bases are available in the marine world (often used for seats). Gas struts will help to raise it.

Since making the table yourself didn't automatically come to mind, I'm assuming that you are not handy with woodworking tools so my suggestion is to look around town for someone to make you a table. Someone with a woodworking hobby may be less expensive than a professional but be sure to see some of his work first.

Actually it did come to mind first. David is quite handy at such things and has all of the necessary tools to do it...but doesn’t exactly have much in the way of TIME to do it. So that is sort of our last option. If we can’t find anything, then we will just do without until he can get one made. It doesn’t HAVE to be hi-low. I do like the way it’s hinged so it can folded up and take up less space.

David and I built our outdoor kitchen ourselves. Took us several months to do it but it came out beautiful! The only part we didn’t do ourselves was the granite
installation.

Attachments

• 2E7536B0-5CFF-4932-8C88-627F1993AC34.jpg
    2E7536B0-5CFF-4932-8C88-627F1993AC34.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 74
  • F429E8B6-6693-4E4E-9AFD-DFCAAFB89ABD.jpg
    F429E8B6-6693-4E4E-9AFD-DFCAAFB89ABD.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 75
  • A77FC5B3-532F-4F4D-A39B-D3A13902FAE3.jpg
    A77FC5B3-532F-4F4D-A39B-D3A13902FAE3.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 73
Actually it did come to mind first. David is quite handy at such things and has all of the necessary tools to do it...but doesn’t exactly have much in the way of TIME to do it. So that is sort of our last option. If we can’t find anything, then we will just do without until he can get one made. It doesn’t HAVE to be hi-low. I do like the way it’s hinged so it can folded up and take up less space.

David and I built our outdoor kitchen ourselves. Took us several months to do it but it came out beautiful! The only part we didn’t do ourselves was the granite
installation.

That looks good. He can start planning the table and what features you want, then start building when he has the time. There's a lot of pride in building something like that, provided you know how to do it right. Keep in mind that there's a lot of moisture on a boat so use the appropriate materials and adhesives.

That looks good. He can start planning the table and what features you want, then start building when he has the time. There's a lot of pride in building something like that, provided you know how to do it right. Keep in mind that there's a lot of moisture on a boat so use the appropriate materials and adhesives.

Thanks...good advice! :thumb:

One other option is to keep your eyes on the boating classifieds. Every so often I've seen hi/lo salon tables for sale.

Ken

Plywood is cheap, and you don't know yet just what you need .

Knock a house plywood table together in an hour and you wont feel bad if you decide to modify it, sometime later.

Here's what I did. I took the teak top off my standard, screwed to floor table in my Nordic Tug. I purchased a 3-stage table pedestal from Lebroc Industries for $283. Bolted the pedestal base to a piece of oak stair thread, bolted my table top to the pedestal, and voila... Now a movable dining table or coffee table. The table in the down position fits underneath the slide-out settee berth.

Attachments

• table_up.jpg
    table_up.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 75
  • tabel_down.jpg
    tabel_down.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 56
Very nice puffin!!

Puffin: That looks really nice and professionally done!

FWIW, While we have a large folding table, we simply rely on folding TV tables when we eat. We really appreciate the space that's freed up in our saloon the rest of the time. We have a 3 seat sofa and a chair with an ottoman for seating.

Jim

Puffin: Great job!

Jim: I have the same fight about space/convenience going on all the time. I like the utility value of the original tables but rather have the ease of movement through the space.

Last edited:
If you want to save money, forget the adjustable center post and go with 2 different lengths of fixed length tubing. I think my Regal was set up like that.

You may want to try Greatlakesskipper. It is a clearing house for boat manufacturers over run items and equipment. I looked on their site and they have a number of table tops and pedestals. You would need to assemble the parts but it sounds like you have that covered, happy shopping! P.S. There is also a site called flounderpounder that has a lot of Sea Ray parts as well.

Back
Top Bottom