Paint color of 1993 vintage Cummins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kip Anderson

Vessel Name
Summer School
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 double cabin
Have engine out of boat due to fuel tank replacement, 1993 marine trader dc, and would like to repaint before reinstalling. Does anyone know the paint color for a 250 cummins 6bta. Is there a preferred paint brand for engines. I know it isn’t white and it doesn’t seem to be Cummins tan. IMG_1014.jpg

My 6BT 210 HP vintage late '80s was Cummins tan.

Ted

I use white on my '95 6CTA.

My 1999 6BT is tan, I suspect it's Cummins tan, but I found that Dupli-Color Santa Fe (GM0545) is a match. The only problem is that the Dupli-color is lacquer, and it can wrinkle if it's sprayed too thick. If you can get Cummins paint that matches, that would probably be your best option. If you're going to paint the whole engine, does it really matter if it matches the old paint? Any good quality enamel paint will hold up fine.

An alternative might be to have the local automotive paint supplier mix paint. Some of them will mix paint and put it into a spray can for you. A Preval sprayer will work for custom-mixed paint. I've sprayed 3 part polyurethane with a Preval, no problems.

I'll be going white with blue silicon hose and tbolt clamps when I give the NTA855m its birthday present

12308749_1652042818389183_4957674522744657354_n.jpg

17308922_1845432552383541_46090890454904099_n.jpg

2 pack industrial enamel used here.

Our Cummins 280 6bta 1999 was. a perfect match with standard Rustoleum
I forget the exact color but might have been almond.

My 2006 270 hp 6BTA perfect paint match is Rustoleum 50/50 mix of Gloss White and Gloss Almond.

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to try rustoleum almond and also duplicolor and see which matches up the best. I’m very impressed with simi 60 paint job and new hoses.

NAPA sells Cummins beige.

Before you paint, you might want to look at some coolant upgrades for your motor.
I have been around the block with these motors, and have learned that the barely adequate cooling system is their Achilles heel.
Tony Athens at Seaboard Maine is the absolute Guru re Cummins motors, visit his website and/or call him, he can set you up with the proper stuff.
Check out his CCV system too, simple, sensible and cheap.
I have no affiliation with these guys, I’m just a happy customer spreading the word.

Before you paint, you might want to look at some coolant upgrades for your motor.
I have been around the block with these motors, and have learned that the barely adequate cooling system is their Achilles heel.
Tony Athens at Seaboard Maine is the absolute Guru re Cummins motors, visit his website and/or call him, he can set you up with the proper stuff.
Check out his CCV system too, simple, sensible and cheap.
I have no affiliation with these guys, I’m just a happy customer spreading the word.
Totally agree. The cost to do the upgrade is minimal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom