View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Star0210
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Well, I was hoping.....

That I was going to be able to come and post that everything went great and the boat is going to be ours within a few days. I guess that would have been just too simple.

I think it will all work out in the end but we’ll see.

Everything was going ok, surveyor and mechanic doing their thing. They leave for the yard for the haulout. Boat ran great, everybody feeling good so far about everything. Surveyor had found a few small things, but nothing that were dealbreakers.

Then they haul the boat out. This was the part that we had been the LEAST concerned about because the broker/owner had just had it hauled out a few months ago before he took it as a trade in. He had told us that everything was fine but that it was going to need a bottom job soon. So we were expecting that.
What nobody was expecting was to find a rather large hole in the shaft on the starboard side. A good bit of corrosion. A bad prop. How this wasn’t seen at the last haul out is a mystery. Owner/broker said he wasn’t physically present when they hauled it out. His surveyor was there and a captain that had driven the boat to the yard. After some discussion, he decided he wasn’t comfortable running the boat any further so we could not continue on with the actual sea trial. Owner/broker went and talked to the yard and he came back and said they could take the boat right then and start doing the repairs. They said it would take about a week. He and David talked and decided they would just go ahead and do the bottom job too.

The current plan is for us to get the survey reports of what they were able to do. The owner/broker is going to get all the costs from the yard for the work they have to do and then they will talk and decide how to proceed forward. The only other thing the mechanic found so far is a small leak in a riser on the generator. I have no idea what these things mean but obviously it’s something that needs to be addressed. The surveyor and mechanic will have to go back once the work is completed to finish their jobs. It’s unlikely David will be able to return to Florida for that so they will have to finish everything without us present.

The only significant thing the surveyor found was a small leak in a starboard side port light innhe second bathroom. It caused a hanging cabinet to rot. Doesn’t appear to have caused any other damage other than that one small wooden cabinet.

We are a little disappointed. The chance of us being able to make our time window to go and get the boat and bring it home is about slim to none. So we will have to go to plan B or C.
Attached Thumbnails
B4BB89C4-C30A-42F5-9F1A-065233073AC9.jpg  
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote