Old 02-24-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
IF stablilizers cost $100k, wouldn't you be better off with a larger boat in the first place ?Length doesn't affect roll, hull form does.

which will roll more, a 36 footer with stabilizers or a 40 footer without ? 40 footer.

Is the point of the stabilizers safety or comfort. Yes and yes

If you are a weather window watching cruiser will stablizers allow you to go for it, when non stabilized boat would have to wait ? Sometimes.

Or will both boats have to wait for the same window, but the stabilized boat will be more comfortable ? And safer

Gerr's "The Nature of Boats"
and Beebe/Leishman "Voyaging Under Power" are excellent primers/
I had the effect of stabilizers demonstrated last summer when crossing the Straight of Georgia from Pender Harbour to Silva Bay. Waves were making a direct course more and more uncomfortable as I approached the middle of the Straight, so I needed to alter course to take out some of the roll. ALtering to port introduced enough pitching to introduce too much water on the windows, to Stb put us into area Whiskey Golf, when active, so was not possible.
A stabilized boat was overtaking us, and his destination was to Port of ours. He was on the radio to someone else, discussing his stabilizers, so I learned that he had altered course to match ours, to take out the pitching, and as soon as we passed the corner of WG he altered more to Stb to take out more of the pitching. The stabilizers effectively controlled the roll, so his passage was somewhat more comfortable (less fatigue on the helmsperson too) than ours.