ASD Spring Upgrades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Horns

While I am waiting for new pedestals, I installed new horns. Actually Train Chimes. The old air horns were loud and good quality (made in Italy) but they just didn't have that "HEY" factor. Installation of the horns wasn't to and then a 12Vdc air compressor. I installed a on/off switch for the compressor. The existing horn buttons on the bridge and salon were already properly wired.

The first time I hit the button was a big "WOW" factor. They are LOUD!!! I stood on the bow and recorded the blast and I almost dropped the phone.:eek::eek:

On to the next project.....

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 123
We need an audio file! :whistling:

If you guys are headed this direction, just to let you know we'll be out of town (Europe!) June 7-23rd. Also, July 12-15.

Just about any other time would work. Dilly Dilly, and I'll bring a bunch of Klondike Bars.

If you guys are headed this direction, just to let you know we'll be out of town (Europe!) June 7-23rd. Also, July 12-15.

Just about any other time would work. Dilly Dilly, and I'll bring a bunch of Klondike Bars.

Dilly Dilly.......:thumb:

Going to Jazz fest?

The horns are way cool, Tom. Too bad you didn't have them on when you were....conferring. ...with that pita sailboat from last summer that you kept running into. You could have crept up behind him, blasted the horns and scared the hell out of him!

Get a REMA cooking sheet or an AirBake. Lena’s been using one for almost 20 years. We have an original REMA that is 9.5” x 14” which fits the Force 10 and still allows air to circulate.

She dosent make biscuits but her scones are to die for. :dance:

Okay, I had to buy a set of 3 AirBake. One would have thought I had given a lady, in the marina office, gold. She had determined she needed more cookie sheets and in I walked. I gave her the large AirBake and the two smaller baking sheets. She was more than happy. Perfect timing for her.
I haven't had time to bake but, when I return to the boat, I shall try the cookie sheets.

Last edited:
While I am waiting for new pedestals, I installed new horns. Actually Train Chimes. The old air horns were loud and good quality (made in Italy) but they just didn't have that "HEY" factor. Installation of the horns wasn't to and then a 12Vdc air compressor. I installed a on/off switch for the compressor. The existing horn buttons on the bridge and salon were already properly wired.

The first time I hit the button was a big "WOW" factor. They are LOUD!!! I stood on the bow and recorded the blast and I almost dropped the phone.:eek::eek:

On to the next project.....

Tom:

I am jealous of your ability to get things done in the winter! I too have an "adequate" set of horns, but "WOW" would be so much better. I like the idea of a 12v air compressor to drive them. Could you post the specs, including price, on the compressor you are using?
I have a set of Italian FIAMM air horns that I took from my first Motorhome when I upgraded it to HADLEY Truck horns. I have tried them on the boat, but the little 12v compressor that easily drove the existing horns would only drive one of them, so I have been looking for a solution. I have a small 120v compressor with me that I will try when I get it home, but 12v would be so much easier.
Thanks.

Kahlenberg

Hi Keith,

Not to push Tom's thread too far off-course...

Kahlenberg has some nice options AND a slick 12- volt air compressor. Some were installed on IRENE and they work well. I called Kahlenberg last week with a problem; they gave me specific instructions regarding how to maintain my diaphragms. It fixed my problem.

Good Luck

Tom:

I am jealous of your ability to get things done in the winter! I too have an "adequate" set of horns, but "WOW" would be so much better. I like the idea of a 12v air compressor to drive them. Could you post the specs, including price, on the compressor you are using?
I have a set of Italian FIAMM air horns that I took from my first Motorhome when I upgraded it to HADLEY Truck horns. I have tried them on the boat, but the little 12v compressor that easily drove the existing horns would only drive one of them, so I have been looking for a solution. I have a small 120v compressor with me that I will try when I get it home, but 12v would be so much easier.
Thanks.

Here is the link to where I bought them. I got the 46115. I have no interest in this company...

https://www.airhornsoftexas.com/collections/train-air-horns?gclid=CO7Pmsvu-M8CFUqUfgod63wC_g

Helm Seats and New Electronics

Been busy the past few days installing new helm chairs. The first pic is the old uncomfortable original helm seat. These are Todd helm seats and Springfield Mariner II pedestal. I had to modify the carpet a bit in order to meet the 22" clearance per instructions.

I also removed the old Lowrance (backup MFD) and moved the 9" c97 in its place. Then I installed a eS127 with a 12" screen. I have to install another sonar transducer and new cables between the two MFD so they can talk to each other.

Come April, I will be having a Raymarine EV 400 auto pilot.

On to the next project.......

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 130
Dyam Tom, them are some pretty fancy butt holders y'all got there.

Wow...very nice!!!

You are going to really enjoy the Raymarine es. Excellent feature set and easy to use. We had one on the last boat - a very capable piece of gear.

Been busy the past few days installing new helm chairs. The first pic is the old uncomfortable original helm seat. These are Todd helm seats and Springfield Mariner II pedestal. I had to modify the carpet a bit in order to meet the 22" clearance per instructions.

I also removed the old Lowrance (backup MFD) and moved the 9" c97 in its place. Then I installed a eS127 with a 12" screen. I have to install another sonar transducer and new cables between the two MFD so they can talk to each other.

Come April, I will be having a Raymarine EV 400 auto pilot.

On to the next project.......

I am NOT gonna let my BOSS see those. Not gonna happen.:eek: So Tom, whatcha gonna do with the old pedestal? Mike could use a little updating.

Marty.......................:D

Do those seats fit on the standard pedestals?

Now.......some mat black on the dash....just to match the new seats!

Nice set up, where did you get the foot rest.

I am NOT gonna let my BOSS see those. Not gonna happen.:eek: So Tom, whatcha gonna do with the old pedestal? Mike could use a little updating.

Marty.......................:D

They didn't last long. I put them up for grabs with our yacht club and they lasted 5 minutes!

Do those seats fit on the standard pedestals?

There is a metal plate on the bottom so you can make them fit any pedestal. The pedestal I bought are Springfield Pedestal. Seats are Todds

Dyam Tom, them are some pretty fancy butt holders y'all got there.

In my case, I would be afraid I'd get too comfortable and drift off to sleep.

We used Boat Blanket from Sailrite to make a dash mat for our boat. It really cut out all the glare and reflections from the white dash. It comes 72” wide and is $19.95 per yard. The neat thing is that you cut it to size and the edges need no binding. It will stick to velcro. We also used it to make covers for the bimini top tubing, just cut to size and sew on the hook side of velcro tape. No need for the loop side.

Auto Pilot

For those that know me, I like doing my own work. But with the auto pilot the rudder cooper tubing will need to be cut and a pump motor installed. So I have actually hired a company here in the Portland area to do the install.

Plus I don't have to run any cables/wires, so my knees are saved. :thumb:

The project started yesterday. I am having a EV-400 Raymarine system with a remote control installed. I am also keeping it in the Raymarine family.

I had to determine which hydraulic ram I have for the rudders to match it up to the pump. I have a K-2 Ram and will be using a type 2 pump.

The electronic Compass was installed with the SeaTalk backbone. Funny we found an old Raytheon "tin can" under the drawer. It is a NEMA 0183 compass. When ASD was new it was a show boat, so it came with all the best at the time like a 48" open array radar and a color depth sounder with Loran stuff. Brian, my installer told me that for the time it was a good system.

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 74
Ahoy Tom,

We had a Raymarine autopilot on the previous IRENE and were very happy with it. I liked the setup process, the way it learned the boat, and the integration with the MFD. I think you will be very happy with it.

Don't store your toolbox next to the white disc with protruding wires :blush:

Thanks Bud for the pic, was about due for a new Avatar!

Ahoy Tom,

We had a Raymarine autopilot on the previous IRENE and were very happy with it. I liked the setup process, the way it learned the boat, and the integration with the MFD. I think you will be very happy with it.

Don't store your toolbox next to the white disc with protruding wires :blush:

LOL Thanks buddy. The white disc thingy is mounted in behind a drawer of towels.......

LOL Thanks buddy. The white disc thingy is mounted in behind a drawer of towels.......

Mark that drawer so you won't be tempted to store anything metallic in it. Friend of ours hung a left one day cuz their new BBG toolset slid near their compass on a roll one day. Surprised the heck outta them at the time.:D

Marty......................

ASD

Looking good. Maybe I missed it, what brand of helm chairs did you install? Happy cruising this summer. How much water upstream is coming at you? Lots of H2O in BC right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom