USS Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
As some of you know I'm spending another winter in Sun City West, AZ. One of the great benefits of being in this city is there is a club or activity for ANY and EVERY hobby or sport or activity one enjoys. Today there was a large old car show in a huge parking lot about a mile from home. I wandered down there to take a look at the cars, and did wander around for awhile, but what REALLY caught my eye was the USS Arizona.

Now as we all know, the USS Arizona was sunk during the Pearl Harbor attack. The one on display here is a model of the original. Built to scale.

Well, as close to scale as they could get it. This model has a long and colorful history. Built over a 3 year period ending in 1991, it went to a lot of parades and shows. Then was donated to a semi-government organization (which the lady I spoke with refused to name). It languished and fell into serious disrepair.

The organization was going to pay a scrap company to haul it away when this woman stepped in and offered to take it off their hands for free. They agreed so she hauled it home and surprised him with it. Can you imagine--"Honey, I got a boat."

They spent 3 years tearing it down to the basic hull and rebuilding it from the ground up. Or should I say "from the hull up". Here are the results of their efforts, all done to scale.

20180210_104919.jpg

20180210_104933.jpg

20180210_104945.jpg

20180210_104957.jpg

20180210_105008.jpg

20180210_105032.jpg

20180210_104725_1.jpg

20180210_104854_1.jpg

There were some pretty cool old cars there, but we've all seen photos of them. This is much cooler and not something you see at the car shows.

Pretty cool. I would love know what his reaction was. :eek: And what a great model!

We have friends who keep their boat at Borden Light Marina, Fall River, MA who we visit with most summers. Battleship Cove is always a morning or afternoon walk through for me. There’s something about seeing that part of history.

nice...the guys who threw my retirement party had an American flag flown at the Arizona memorial for a day and had it encased for a retirement gift for me.

means A LOT to me.....

Attachments

• 20180219_184606.jpg
    20180219_184606.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
nice...the guys who threw my retirement party had an American flag flown at the Arizona memorial for a day and had it encased for a retirement gift for me.

means A LOT to me.....

Where is the Thumbs Up emoticon?

Never mind, I downloaded one!

Attachments

• thumbs up.jpg
    thumbs up.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 66
USS Arizona Memorial

Nice model. I lived in Hawaii from 2003 to 2014 and I would go over to Ford Island in the early morning hours on December 7th, before the bridge was opened in preparation for the anniversary commemoration. Every year a ship from the Pacific Fleet would be selected to cruise clockwise around the island and pass in review of the Arizona Memorial at the exact time (0755) that the attack started. This photo was taken at sunrise in 2010.

Attachments

• DSC06239.jpg
    DSC06239.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 57
IslandBound, great story and picture. Nice to know that some traditions still carry on.

Thanks for sharing them.

Every ship I served aboard rendered honors when coming abreast of the USS Arizona and I’m sure that US Navy tradition is still in effect.
That attack created a verb that was still in use when I went thru navy boot camp in 1953. “Getting japed or he japed me” referred to the attack at Pearl Harbor. Traditions have a long history in the navy, I don’t know if that verb is still in use today but no one who mans the rail when passing the Arizona will ever forget it.

Back
Top Bottom