Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Knowledge. Knowledge. Did I mention knowledge.

Why?
Why are you involved in this forum?
Is it only for informative purpose?
Is it because you feel part of a community or "family"?
Is it only by curiosity?
Is it only because you have nothing else to do?

Sometimes I ask myself that very question. :banghead:

It's all the things you listed except the curiosity. I get frustrated at times wit the people who can't seem to post an answer without being critical or "snarky". Otherwise, it's a great place to teach and learn.

I started conversing on this forum because I bought a trawler and I wanted to meet others that have the same brand and learn more about trawlers and passage making. I also found the folks here to be very polite, helpful and generally a cut above other similar forums. I don't use The Hull Truth anymore. Kind of rude over there. At least that was my experience. I was having trouble doing something I forget now but instead of helpfulness I got comments like "what's it worth to you?". I finally gave up and never went back. I have no patience for sarcasm. The moderators also showed a thinly veiled contempt for certain brands. I was shocked at that. I'm not a thin skinned person. You don't run a business with employees for 30 years being thin skinned. I just don't like to waste my time with that kind of behavior anymore. I know there are a lot of nice folks over there. Many of them frequent both sites. But when the moderator sets a tone like that it's time to go elsewhere.

Lots of info and discussions, Hendo, wood boats are tolerated and it’s a great place to find ideas for my next crazy project.

I had some pretty negative experiences over on THT. There were several really bigoted, ignorant, mean people there. I found myself on the verge of argument several times before I realized it was a toxic environment and not at all worth my time. Sounds like I’m not the only one to feel that way.

I'm here because when I say I like the sound of my Screaming Jimmies at least one other person agrees with me, sometimes even more than one.

I had some pretty negative experiences over on THT. There were several really bigoted, ignorant, mean people there. I found myself on the verge of argument several times before I realized it was a toxic environment and not at all worth my time. Sounds like I’m not the only one to feel that way.

I agree 100%. I've been gone from there for years.

I don’t care if you laugh at my ignorance, as long as you give me some sound (or funny) advice.[emoji4]

Like my daddy told me, “everyone you meet knows something you don’t”.

Like my daddy told me, “everyone you meet knows something you don’t”.

My dad told me... you know something that everyone you meet doesn't. Be careful to whom you tell what! And, listen carefully to what they divulge. ;)

A lot of forums on the internet are like that. I follow one for radio control airplanes and the people who post the most are the most obnoxious.

IF the dont like you or respect you, you dont need them.

Yup! Bunch of pretty good folks on TF. Smart too... Many are specialized and nearly all are really ready to assist in whatever way they can. :D

Occasionally a dumb-assed troll, or some other sort of demented bugger comes aboard. Usually it takes TF "family" not too long of belittling he or she before the creep heads for the hills. Not recalling the handles of a few really nerdy nerds that just couldn't take a hint... then in that case there are the Mods, God bless em - who excommunicate the dummies before they drive us nuts!! :thumb:

Happy TF Communication Daze! - Art :speed boat:

200w.gif

Because i am addicted to boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
My dad told me... you know something that everyone you meet doesn't. Be careful to whom you tell what! And, listen carefully to what they divulge. ;)

Ha, I’d like to think so.

The... "listen carefully to what they divulge' is most important portion of quote from my dad; because, of course, the others also know things that you do not.

Nearly equally as important [or, even more so in some tender situations:D]... "Be careful to whom you tell what!" In other words - don't get your ass in a bind you can't get out of! - :eek: :lol:

What is the difference between
Active Captain and Becky at Dockware???

Because i am addicted to boats!

I feel your pain! :rofl: :lol:

There's a 12 step for this addiction that embeds itself in many of us.

1st step - Know how to swim!

12th step - Swim a lot!

Steps 2 thru 11, summation: Don't fall overboard unless you plan to go swimming! And, use your boat often as possible to try and fulfill needs of your addiction!!

Happy Boat-Addict Daze! - Art :speed boat:

What is the difference between
Active Captain and Becky at Dockware???

I could take a guess, but I am afraid the MOD would delete my post!:rofl:

I think the attraction for me is to help other people if possible. I was taught to do one good deed every day of my life and if I can pass on some practical help then I've done a good deed.
Now there's anchors, Bruce versus CQR, versus Fisherman's. Twins versus singles, Para vanes versus stabilizers, complicated fuel polishing versus basic filtration systems, ah what else using wine as ballast versus lead or concrete.
That should start several discussions.
In truth its like minded people enjoying the fellowship of friends, sharing a common hobby, and freely giving information to help our brothers and sisters to improve our collective lifestyle with passion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom