Velvet Drive for Lehman 120 Interchangeability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Catalina Jack
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of newly-rebuilt transmissions at a very attractive price. The ID numbers on one is AS14-71C (2.57 ratio). I know that the pair is for port and starboard. My question is will these mate to my Lehmans? I am 3,000 miles away from my boat right now so I am unable to ascertain exactly what I have in my boat. These particular transmissions had been for Chevy 350 gas engines if that makes any difference.

slines for dampner plate have to match, but the case probably will.

also the ratio is way high for your current props I would think.

Can't imagine buying these rebuilt units being less expensive than having your existing units rebuilt.

Make sure the rotation is correct. Some gasser apps one engine rotates reverse. Both your lehmans spin the same way, and one gear reverses.

Last edited:
Make sure the rotation is correct. Some gasser apps one engine rotates reverse. Both your lehmans spin the same way, and one gear reverses.

Thanks Ski. I have been doing a lot of digging and had just learned that. If I have it correct, it's important to know which direction the arrow on top of the input end is pointing. I have requested pictures. Another responder suggested that it would be less expensive to have mine rebuilt. In this case, no. I can get both transmissions freshly rebuilt with new clutch plates, seals, and bearings for $1,000. If only one spins in "my direction", I may take it to keep as a spare.

slines for dampner plate have to match, but the case probably will.

also the ratio is way high for your current props I would think.

When I get home next Sunday, I will certainly check the reduction ratio that I have. My props are 25 x 20 and, at full throttle with a clean bottom, I achieve 2,450 RPM as measured with a photo-tac at the engine. I think 2,450 RPM is an acceptible number, is it not?

Can't imagine buying these rebuilt units being less expensive than having your existing units rebuilt.

Private sale. The seller is getting rid of stuff acquired for a project boat. Priced to sell quickly.

If you have twin lehman's you may also have velvet drive CR2's. The starboard transmission reduction assy is geared to rotate in the opposite direction of the engine, thus counter rotating props. The 10-13 units are based on the 71C series.

Many of the AS14-71C main transmission parts are interchangeable with the main exception being the planetary carrier. The clutch packs, pistons, control valve and oil pump are probably identical. Not sure about the drive shaft. I think the early AS14's used bushings, the later 1017 used needle bearings.

A velvet drive rebuild with clutches, o-rings, gaskets, and seals will probably cost $750 each. Replacing bearings would be a major overhaul and would cost substantially more.

If you do have CR2's, note the the output shaft is lower than the input shaft. (drop center) If you replaced them with another type you would have to raise the engine.

My opinion: If you can get the 2 AS14's for $100 or $200 each you can cannibalize them and use the parts to rebuild your CR2's. If they need it. AT $500 ea it would be cheaper to just buy ALTO rebuild kits.

Last edited:
If you have twin lehman's you may also have velvet drive CR2's. The starboard transmission reduction assy is geared to rotate in the opposite direction of the engine, thus counter rotating props. The 10-13 units are based on the 71C series.

Many of the AS14-71C main transmission parts are interchangeable with the main exception being the planetary carrier. The clutch packs, pistons, control valve and oil pump are probably identical. Not sure about the drive shaft. I think the early AS14's used bushings, the later 1017 used needle bearings.

A velvet drive rebuild with clutches, o-rings, gaskets, and seals will probably cost $750 each. Replacing bearings would be a major overhaul and would cost substantially more.

If you do have CR2's, note the the output shaft is lower than the input shaft. (drop center) If you replaced them with another type you would have to raise the engine.

My opinion: If you can get the 2 AS14's for $100 or $200 each you can cannibalize them and use the parts to rebuild your CR2's. If they need it. AT $500 ea it would be cheaper to just buy ALTO rebuild kits.

To add:

Your current trans probably have 1.95 ratio on the port and 2.05 reversing on Stb.

Back
Top Bottom