New member Melbourne Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigKev

Vessel Name
Ithaka
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
Hi
I am purchasing a Mainship 400 and will start my trawler live in 3 weeks.
Is there any Aussies out there in central Queensland that have ideas of where to go before I bring the boat to Melbourne :)

Hi
I am purchasing a Mainship 400 and will start my trawler live in 3 weeks.
Is there any Aussies out there in central Queensland that have ideas of where to go before I bring the boat to Melbourne :)

Well I assume you mean the boat is on the coast - not in central Queensland - a bit high and dry if it is:socool::D.

Anyway, wherever you will be starting your trip from (Mackay?) then Moreton Bay down to Southport/Gold Coast is worth a week before your trip starts to get serious and you enter the treacherous/dastardly and dangerous waters south of the border - if you can, try not to make landfall in NSW - your boat will become infested with cockroaches:dance:

Let us now when you hit Moreton Bay - Manly Marina, which is probably the biggest marina on the east coast has some great eateries and pubs within walking distance.

Enjoy the new boat and delivery trip

Brisyboy
The boat is at Yeppoon at the moment and we are thinking of going north for a bit then back south. I have just purchase a copy of cruising the coral coast for references. Open to suggestions from locals.

Welcome to the forum,and also the mainship family

Brisyboy
The boat is at Yeppoon at the moment and we are thinking of going north for a bit then back south. I have just purchase a copy of cruising the coral coast for references. Open to suggestions from locals.
Sorry Kev, I should have said welcome first up. There are quite a few Qld members here - most down in the South East but I know some of them make the trip north fairly regularly so they should be able to give you some tips.

Moreton Bay still remains my tip for when you head south.

Big Kev, welcome to our happy group. I suppose if you are going to head north from Roslyn Bay then you will at least go to the Whits, don't forget to buy "100 Magic Miles" the best cruising guide for the area. Don't head south until later in the year when you have a better chance of getting a break from the trade winds with some calm days or light northlies.
Lots of forum members up and down the East Coast who can give advice. I was based in mackay for a year or so but back down in Moreton bay for a few more months. I will probably head north again about July so if you are still up there we may cross paths.
Cheers
Benn

Brisyboy

Welcome BigKev. Yes, all good advice so far. Plenty of info available for the Whitsundays. Well covered in that book. Coming south from Yeppoon, the book you have bought will be much help. However, for Sandy Straits/Fraser Island region and down via Moreton Bay to the Tweed in Northern NSW, I'd also recommend obtaining the Beacon to Beacon boating guide. Might only be in download form now - not sure, but it is invaluable for the more close-in navigation of the Southeast Qld/Northern NSW coast and bays.
No, here it is. Best 49 bucks worth ever... https://www.whitworths.com.au/bk-beacon-beac-ed12
:smitten:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom