'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure suicide means a tougher life, just not able to cope with it whether easy or hard.

That may be just proving having "too much" in terms of input shows the lack of character to be able to handle it....self control simply.

A quick perusal of the reasons why there is a recent rise in suicides seems inconclusive....

Well, I lived thru the Second World War with camouflage nets over the entire city of San Diego because we were afraid the Japs would fly over and bomb us to kingdom come while we slept.........

I lived thru the Cold War when we dug holes in the ground to hide in if the Russians decided to drop a Hydrogen Bomb on us.............

I lived through the Korean War while I worried I might be drafted and sent to where I could be used as target practice by the Chinese hoards.............

But, I sure would hate to be courting today where I would never know till too late what kind of genitals my date had, or if he/she/it had AIDS.

When I was a sub teenager I could hitch hike from LA to San Diego without fear. I could go hiking in the bush with a gun without fear. I packed a suitcase and took a bus to LA and a boat to Catalina for a week end in a hotel on the beach (My parents approved). I could build bombs from Black Powder and set them off in my back yard. All of these would, today, get my parents sent to jail.

Last edited:
car wash, sac aktum, fabulous, warm, highly decorated, shallow cave down there.:D

In the early days, you could camp on the beach, maybe still can.

Yes, am down with friends who been diving here for 22 years. This is my second trip. Did Jailhouse, White River, and a couple others I can barely pronounce and certainly can't spell. Doing two 90 to 120 minute dives a day with no deco. Gotta love nitrox!

Ted

Yes, am down with friends who been diving here for 22 years. This is my second trip. Did Jailhouse, White River, and a couple others I can barely pronounce and certainly can't spell. Doing two 90 to 120 minute dives a day with no deco. Gotta love nitrox!

Ted

i'm so jealous. I do get to do some caving in N FL next week. Sooo not the same as Akumal. but, I won't get the trots in FL :eek:

Tragic. Schools, at least up here, have room numbers on the outside of the buildings, even the 2nd story. So first responders can find/track the active shooter via texting or phone. My kids have a couple active shooter drills during the school year.

Its been true for a while now, GSW (displacing fire) is the leading cause of primary school death. Overall, a very low risk, thankfully.

Last edited:
opposed to the casualties of WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam that the draft was in effect for?

Seriously? War is war and always will be. A school was never supposed to be a killing field.

I had more friends die young in Vietnam than my kids lost friends in school

so who had a tougher post high school life?

and again, I sympathize with victims, but is it a sign that this generation(tuned shooters) just cant handle reality?

I think this discussion is going too wide to sound intelligent in several sentences at a whack so I will beg out.... I can only hope I am wrong and the attitudes of youth I see all too often arent really the future.

Last edited:
Elementary, middle, and HS have it bad, but it's worse in the Army? Is that some kind of argument?

Greetings,
At the risk of having this thread relegated to OTDE and with my limited knowledge of the outside world, it seems to me that this "youth" situation is pretty well limited to the US. One doesn't hear the same "problems" being experienced by young people in other countries. Is suicide, teenage pregnancy, school shootings and addiction to social media prevalent in other parts of the world?
TF has such an international following, it would be interesting to hear if young people in other countries are having it tougher or are subjected to more stresses than their parents/grandparents.

All but the school shootings. Add to that cyber bullying,trolling,bullying at school,as a significant cause/aggravation of youth suicide and mental illness.

Been a number of knife attacks in schools in China. Nothing like we have going though.

The point was never to diminish anything in the past, but simply to say today's kids don't have it easy either like some were implying and today's kids are very good in the minds of many of us here. It was basically to refute stereotyped attacks on millenials and to make the point that the couple who took the ill-fated cruise were not reflective of a generation.

There was a tragic shooting today. Does it really matter whether it's a worse event than some event 30 or 60 or 100 years ago? I can't see what is being argued at this point or why. We have stores and employees in Parkland. Those employees have family and friends impacted by this.

All but the school shootings. Add to that cyber bullying,trolling,bullying at school,as a significant cause/aggravation of youth suicide and mental illness.

There are over 3000 students and 100 teachers plus more staff in that school. Their lives will never be the same after today. Most will recover, some will even use it for positive motivation, a few will spiral downward.

i'm so jealous. I do get to do some caving in N FL next week. Sooo not the same as Akumal. but, I won't get the trots in FL :eek:

Have done a fair amount of N FL cave diving, Ginnie Springs, Peacock, Cow, Madison Blue, Little River, and a few in Eagles Nest. Last few years it's mostly been trips to the Mill Pond (Jackson Blue) in Marianna, FL.

For those few of us who can appreciate cave diving, here I am today in Cenote Xulo (pronounced Shoe- Low) Tulum, Mexico.

IMG_2978_ps.jpg

Ted

There are over 3000 students and 100 teachers plus more staff in that school. Their lives will never be the same after today. Most will recover, some will even use it for positive motivation, a few will spiral downward.
That may well be so, but my post you quote does not relate to that school or the shooting:
"Originally Posted by BruceK
All but the school shootings. Add to that cyber bullying,trolling,bullying at school,as a significant cause/aggravation of youth suicide and mental illness."

My post simply responded to the inquiry from RTF in post 194 about factors affecting young people in countries other than USA.

You must know Edd we go way back[emoji847]

We will have to start a thread elsewhere.

Yes, I know Edd the "Deity of Sidemount Diving". He taught me everything I know about sidemount. Sadly he probably taught me a lot more that he has to periodically remind me about. :rolleyes: Great mentor!

Ted

I have a few Edd stories. We invited him on an expedition to grand bahama. For a couple years my team was working on enlarging a system. About midway into the dives he took a call from FL. It seems a guy went missing in vortex and LEO from the state wanted him for a recovery. I protested and said we had him captured offshore. Anyway he went as far as anyone in that hell hole and found no evidence of the guy. It may still be a mystery. Left a car at site and other stuff. Weird.

Another time he took off solo in his cherokee6 from lantana during a tropical storm. I guided him thru feeder bands into near the panhandle via cellphone[emoji15]. Wild stuff

I`m guessing GoFundMe gets a buck outta this too. What`s their cut?
It`s a world of expectation. Either it`s someone else`s fault, and they pay, or if not you launch a bludger appeal. It`s their fault, they should wear it, no one`s problem but their own.
Bludger Defined: Urban Dictionary: bludger

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bludger

"One who lives off or profits by the work of others while making no contribution. Originally British slang meaning pimp, its currency has continued in Australia while it has died out in Britain. Why don't you get off your arse and give us a hand, ya bludger!"

Last edited:
I`m guessing GoFundMe gets a buck outta this too. What`s their cut?
It`s a world of expectation. Either it`s someone else`s fault, and they pay, or if not you launch a bludger appeal. It`s their fault, they should wear it, no one`s problem but their own.
Bludger Defined: Urban Dictionary: bludger

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bludger

"One who lives off or profits by the work of others while making no contribution. Originally British slang meaning pimp, its currency has continued in Australia while it has died out in Britain. Why don't you get off your arse and give us a hand, ya bludger!"

Actually GoFundMe changed last year. They were taking 5% as a platform fee. Now they just take 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction as a payment processing fee. What part of that they keep and what part goes to the card processor, I don't know. Donors are also allowed to give GoFundMe tips for providing the program. I don't know how much of that they get but even if a very small percentage of people tip it could still mount up. Last they get some benefit from the cash balances they hold until the person withdraws the money from them.

I think a library card would be a better gift in the long run than free currency.

Back
Top Bottom