'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MurrayM posed the question, is it better to help your kids out, or let them live at home to save money? .

I had neither as did most people I know.
Given nothing, moved out into a share house at 16 , fought for every dollar earned and never looked back.
Its why I get so annoyed at the lightweights of today, so many crying on social media and being given everything and even then, its not enough.

Last edited:
Didn't bother to read all the interim pages, but the news said today that the GoFund me amount exceeded $14K........Apparently some felt sorry for them..

Proof that fools and their money are soon parted.
Better set me up a go fund me page

When I was young, there was no such thing as a "Go fund me page". People had to take personal responsibility for their mistakes. Their own responsibility. I might give to some causes but not something like this.

Time for them to man (and woman) up, get jobs and take care of this on their own.

When I was young, there was no such thing as a "Go fund me page". People had to take personal responsibility for their mistakes. Their own responsibility. I might give to some causes but not something like this.

Time for them to man (and woman) up, get jobs and take care of this on their own.

Nothing like taking responsibility to teach you what NOT to do in the future....believe me, I know from experience. Ive done some stupid things over my life time (seemed like a good idea at the time, Right?) and each one is remembered and learned from....

Hmmm, a GoFundMe? I think my boat will sink very soon. I will need about $6mil to recover.

Have you found a recording barometric pressure app so one can determine the trend?

The app “Barometer and Altimeter” records the trend but you have to have opened it on each of those days for the trend to function. It shows the trend up to 30days.

The app “Barometer and Altimeter” records the trend but you have to have opened it on each of those days for the trend to function. It shows the trend up to 30days.

For free too. I have downloaded it and will see how well it works.
How does it effect the run time on the battery?
Thanks.

Need to be young and cute

OR....I am thinking.....old and cute. My wife and I can be very cute and I really need a new boat.

Twice my wife and I have been traveling and after finishing our dinner we were told that someone had already paid our bill.

When we travel we wear our grungies and I guess we look homeless. The last time it happened, the people that paid our bill were still in the restaurant and I told my wife we better get out of the parking lot fast before they see the TownCar we are driving....LOL I wanted to tell them we werent homeless but I didnt want to rob them of the joy they got from being generous or to embarrass them.

We try to dress better since that second incident, but to get a new boat we could be really pitiful.........really for a nice boat I would grovel.

I agree as well, probably the rough ride of prior years is missing in the glossy eyes of todays kids.. not much misery seen so everything is expected to end well.

That aside, its still a sad story!

I agree as well, probably the rough ride of prior years is missing in the glossy eyes of todays kids.. not much misery seen so everything is expected to end well.

That aside, its still a sad story!

Wifey B: You and others really have no idea what today's kids go through. They have demands placed on them far beyond prior generations. It's different, but that does not make it easier. :ermm:

Wow, there's a lot of 'get off my lawn' in this thread.

Wifey B: You and others really have no idea what today's kids go through. They have demands placed on them far beyond prior generations. It's different, but that does not make it easier. :ermm:

BrandB, I sure am glad I am not a kid. I grew up when it was possible to walk in the woods near the house.
You are so correct, so many demands.

Last edited:
Wow, there's a lot of 'get off my lawn' in this thread.

Anyone who thinks it's appropriate to generalize about an entire generation is extremely ignorant.

Generalizations are just that, not all inclusive.... but something is usually present to cause broadstroke comments

I would like to know what average "demands" are placed on todays kids or what they have to go through that was not there or equivalent in the past.

We at least had to memorize how to get places or read a map and know where phone booths were or how to organize a group at a mall to find each other without a phone. :D

Last edited:
"I would like to know what average "demands" are placed on todays kids or what they have to go through that was not there or equivalent in the past."

They have to be PC , and never express their actual thoughts as free speech is now OUT.

Imagine the stress of meeting and speaking to a new person and not knowing which of 70+ "genders" they chose that day!

The lollypops really have it rough if they do not want to be non PC.

Ya'know, we had a lot more fun growing up. There was no such thing as being PC. We could laugh at all the jokes, play outside and TV was in its early childhood. So many things to do that did not involve electronics.

Awareness, perspective and courtesy about other people’s feelings aren’t PC. People don’t choose their genders. Pigeon-holing an entire generation is ignorant. My parents used to rail about how soft my generation had it - - - to hear them tell it, they walked to school barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways. Each generation confronts the reality they inherit in their own way.

I have heard of dumber things, like cave diving

I'm presently dowwn in Akumal, Mexico cave diving. It's like most things that people have no knowledge of and base their opinions on brain dead network news stories, misunderstood.

Ted

I'm presently dowwn in Akumal, Mexico cave diving. It's like most things that people have no knowledge of and base their opinions on brain dead network news stories, misunderstood.

Ted

car wash, sac aktum, fabulous, warm, highly decorated, shallow cave down there.:D

In the early days, you could camp on the beach, maybe still can.

Generalizations are just that, not all inclusive.... but something is usually present to cause broadstroke comments

I would like to know what average "demands" are placed on todays kids or what they have to go through that was not there or equivalent in the past.

We at least had to memorize how to get places or read a map and know where phone booths were or how to organize a group at a mall to find each other without a phone. :D

Wifey B: In school, it's all a competition with many parents pushing hard. They start working on building resumes very early. Test scores are critical. Participation in activities and holding office important. GPA and class rank have many thousands of dollars riding on them. The top high school students are probably taking several AP classes or even IB (International Baccalaureate). Student Council officer with work days and some type project every week. National Honor Society. Then perhaps the debate team or maybe they're in band or choir or on a sports team. If any of those, they miss days of school for games or competitions and must cover all that work. Then on top of it they may have afternoon or weekend jobs. Competition for scholarships and even for admission to some schools. This competitive environment starts young too.

Kids today are also exposed to more things earlier than prior generations. Sex and decisions about it presents itself at 12 or younger, not at 16 or 18 or even 14. Drugs are around them as early as elementary schools. By high school, binge drinking is everywhere.

Teen suicides rise every year. They reflect the pressures mounting on kids. When most of us went to schools, at the very least they were safe havens. School shootings are daily occurrences and lockdown procedures are a common part of most students lives.

Then there is their home life. Divorced parents or parents together and fighting. Parents they live with but whom are really absent from their lives. Parents undergoing a lot of pressure and passing it on. Job insecurities of parents have tremendous impacts on the kids. More parents, and more kids, worried about losing their homes. Many home environments are mentally very unhealthy. In most cities, the number of homeless kids, with and without parents, is shocking.

A lot of kids grow up in dangerous neighborhoods with shootings commonplace and the most successful people they see being drug dealers. Kids are turned into runners for drugs, bookmaking, shoplifting and theft.

Now we have an additional group of kids under extreme pressure worried about their parents being snatched up and deported. Just imagine that pressure on the kids.

Then all the inflamed topics of society, the hatred being tossed around daily at all levels and in all environments.

Kids are growing up faster and not shielded from the adult world. Then toss in social media. You say kids shouldn't be on it. I personally agree with you. Except. They have to be. Most school organizations today, from honor societies to sports teams to student councils use twitter as their primary means of communication.

Most of all, kids are not allowed to be kids. For some, that works out fine. In fact, some are successful adults sooner. For others though it varies between unhealthy and tragic. Families, as once known, rare today. Both parents working, children unsupervised. Access to trouble that we didn't have. One wanders into drugs, another into alcohol, another into cam shows, another into sex, but these aren't just the 18 year olds, these include as young as 12 or even younger.

None of this is to say kids of prior generations didn't face challenges. They certainly did. I did. My hubby did. Most of you did. But, please, just because it's different today, don't live under the illusion that today's kids have it so much easier than prior generations. They have it much different, but that doesn't translate into easy.

It's odd how things come along presenting new challenges. Many cite social media today. I was talking to a man last night who is around 60. He said the world of raising his daughter changed with MTV and Madonna. Obviously before my time but I've heard Britney Spears blamed for the ruin of society and now I guess it's the Kardashians. Still, I wanted to know what he meant. Well, he meant the first time he saw his six year old in front of the tv screen watching Madonna on MTV and copying the dance moves and wanting to dress like that. Well, I can relate because I thought she was the coolest person ever and could sing every song she ever did. I didn't know what "sexy" even meant, much less what it was.

I'd say this just in general. Never judge how life is for others. You don't know. Not for another generation, another race, another religion, another gender, another anything. You see people you think have it so easy and have no idea what challenges they're dealing with. I try to think of it just in my daily life. Some waitress is unfriendly. I am tempted to think, "what a b..ch". But there may well be something serious troubling her. About five years ago, a restaurant in Annapolis for breakfast. I step to the restroom and as I return I see my hubby with the waitress sitting close to him, his arm around her. (prior to me corrupting him, he would have been concerned but not pursued). I saw her tears and asked the manager about it, then arranged for her to have the day off. Her husband had left her and her son, taken the rent money, because she was married still she hadn't been able to qualify for any help, and the three day eviction notice had been posted two days earlier. I recall her biggest fear was picking her son up from school that afternoon and telling him they weren't going home, because they had their home no longer. We spent the day helping her but the impression on us is forever and that is that you never know what the absent minded or rude waitress or sales clerk or anyone else is dealing with today. Maybe a sick child. Maybe their mom just died.

And certainly don't judge a group or generation. Most of you here are older than me, many much older. I don't even profess to fully understand what it's like to be 75 or what life was like when you were young. By listening and observing, I've learned a lot but then that's only about a small group and may not be representative. As some of our family ages, it scares me. When one here mentions having lost their wife, I feel pain, but it's still not the pain they feel. I know I have an idyllic life. However, I've not always and even today I spend time around those far less fortunate and try to get to know them and understand.

Today's kids are so wonderful, but they do have it tough. So did yesterday's. So will tomorrow's. I love them all. :)

Wifey B: In school, it's all a competition with many parents pushing hard. They start working on building resumes very early. Test scores are critical. Participation in activities and holding office important. GPA and class rank have many thousands of dollars riding on them. The top high school students are probably taking several AP classes or even IB (International Baccalaureate). Student Council officer with work days and some type project every week. National Honor Society. Then perhaps the debate team or maybe they're in band or choir or on a sports team. If any of those, they miss days of school for games or competitions and must cover all that work. Then on top of it they may have afternoon or weekend jobs. Competition for scholarships and even for admission to some schools. This competitive environment starts young too.

Kids today are also exposed to more things earlier than prior generations. Sex and decisions about it presents itself at 12 or younger, not at 16 or 18 or even 14. Drugs are around them as early as elementary schools. By high school, binge drinking is everywhere.

Teen suicides rise every year. They reflect the pressures mounting on kids. When most of us went to schools, at the very least they were safe havens. School shootings are daily occurrences and lockdown procedures are a common part of most students lives.

Then there is their home life. Divorced parents or parents together and fighting. Parents they live with but whom are really absent from their lives. Parents undergoing a lot of pressure and passing it on. Job insecurities of parents have tremendous impacts on the kids. More parents, and more kids, worried about losing their homes. Many home environments are mentally very unhealthy. In most cities, the number of homeless kids, with and without parents, is shocking.

A lot of kids grow up in dangerous neighborhoods with shootings commonplace and the most successful people they see being drug dealers. Kids are turned into runners for drugs, bookmaking, shoplifting and theft.

Now we have an additional group of kids under extreme pressure worried about their parents being snatched up and deported. Just imagine that pressure on the kids.

Then all the inflamed topics of society, the hatred being tossed around daily at all levels and in all environments.

Kids are growing up faster and not shielded from the adult world. Then toss in social media. You say kids shouldn't be on it. I personally agree with you. Except. They have to be. Most school organizations today, from honor societies to sports teams to student councils use twitter as their primary means of communication.

Most of all, kids are not allowed to be kids. For some, that works out fine. In fact, some are successful adults sooner. For others though it varies between unhealthy and tragic. Families, as once known, rare today. Both parents working, children unsupervised. Access to trouble that we didn't have. One wanders into drugs, another into alcohol, another into cam shows, another into sex, but these aren't just the 18 year olds, these include as young as 12 or even younger.

None of this is to say kids of prior generations didn't face challenges. They certainly did. I did. My hubby did. Most of you did. But, please, just because it's different today, don't live under the illusion that today's kids have it so much easier than prior generations. They have it much different, but that doesn't translate into easy.

It's odd how things come along presenting new challenges. Many cite social media today. I was talking to a man last night who is around 60. He said the world of raising his daughter changed with MTV and Madonna. Obviously before my time but I've heard Britney Spears blamed for the ruin of society and now I guess it's the Kardashians. Still, I wanted to know what he meant. Well, he meant the first time he saw his six year old in front of the tv screen watching Madonna on MTV and copying the dance moves and wanting to dress like that. Well, I can relate because I thought she was the coolest person ever and could sing every song she ever did. I didn't know what "sexy" even meant, much less what it was.

I'd say this just in general. Never judge how life is for others. You don't know. Not for another generation, another race, another religion, another gender, another anything. You see people you think have it so easy and have no idea what challenges they're dealing with. I try to think of it just in my daily life. Some waitress is unfriendly. I am tempted to think, "what a b..ch". But there may well be something serious troubling her. About five years ago, a restaurant in Annapolis for breakfast. I step to the restroom and as I return I see my hubby with the waitress sitting close to him, his arm around her. (prior to me corrupting him, he would have been concerned but not pursued). I saw her tears and asked the manager about it, then arranged for her to have the day off. Her husband had left her and her son, taken the rent money, because she was married still she hadn't been able to qualify for any help, and the three day eviction notice had been posted two days earlier. I recall her biggest fear was picking her son up from school that afternoon and telling him they weren't going home, because they had their home no longer. We spent the day helping her but the impression on us is forever and that is that you never know what the absent minded or rude waitress or sales clerk or anyone else is dealing with today. Maybe a sick child. Maybe their mom just died.

And certainly don't judge a group or generation. Most of you here are older than me, many much older. I don't even profess to fully understand what it's like to be 75 or what life was like when you were young. By listening and observing, I've learned a lot but then that's only about a small group and may not be representative. As some of our family ages, it scares me. When one here mentions having lost their wife, I feel pain, but it's still not the pain they feel. I know I have an idyllic life. However, I've not always and even today I spend time around those far less fortunate and try to get to know them and understand.

Today's kids are so wonderful, but they do have it tough. So did yesterday's. So will tomorrow's. I love them all. :)

You have this right on, girl!
Kids today have MUCH less free time, than I had, as one example. No more pickup B ball and sand lot baseball in my area. Colleges are highly competitive, and to even get into a state school requires much work. My daughter just put together two essays required for 'just" a state college admission. She is at hundreds of HS hours of volunteerism. Not talking the occasional car wash, I'm talking spending a few nites downtown in a homeless shelter helping out, and more. Even though much phys ed is now fairly lame, the after school programs are very challenging for time and ability. And, you NEED a healthy amount of $$ to pull off the "beyond the team training". Lots of $ for extra coaching, lessons, tutors, and the list goes on. We, as parents are driving almost constantly. And, that's WITH bus service, with a door to door normal and late bus.
IN high school now: classes in sociology, euro history, psychology, statistics, pre-calc, environmental ecology, four years of Latin; this is just the stuff MY two kids are doing beyond the classes I consider normal.
A lot of this, in my opinion, is driven by "psyco moms". But, whatever the reason, the kids I see in my area DO NOT have it easy.

Wifey B and Diver Dave:

I am no doubt another generation older, but much of what you both say I can recall from my own childhood.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. Of course there are advances in the toys and the communication that now exist, but the driving forces are still the same, the conflicts have altered, but still affect the young in the same ways.
We struggle to relate to youth, because they are in that advancing world and we are not.
My own kids and grandkids are having their own experiences, often in ways that I could never have dreamed of. It is just as hard for them as it was for my generation. They will survive it.

Social media puts SOOOO much pressure on kids. If you trip in the hallway on the way to homeroom, the entire school has seen the video before lunch. Kids from 3 towns away will be laughing at you by the time you get to soccer practice after school, and by the time you go to bed you have been called a Klutz ( and worse ) tens of thousands of times.

You remember Lord of the Flies ??? That takes place all day, every day in cyberspace for these kids. Its BRUTAL !!!

We struggle to relate to youth, because they are in that advancing world and we are not.
t.

The interesting question would be why not? Perhaps the true fountain of youth is youth. That's how we stay young. I started with a younger wife.

Wifey B and Diver Dave:

I am no doubt another generation older, but much of what you both say I can recall from my own childhood.
The more things change, the more they remain the same. Of course there are advances in the toys and the communication that now exist, but the driving forces are still the same, the conflicts have altered, but still affect the young in the same ways.
My own kids and grandkids are having their own experiences, often in ways that I could never have dreamed of. It is just as hard for them as it was for my generation. They will survive it.

I agree...much the same where I came from.

Whether now or then, plenty of kids who had it rough made out fine..... the real difference might be inner city...but again where I came from, then and now.....not much different for kids.

Sorry I dont buy it and i was a leader for youth progrsms all through the 90s and up to 2009 or so. Have kids in the 30s and 20s and grandkids.

Social media puts SOOOO much pressure on kids. If you trip in the hallway on the way to homeroom, the entire school has seen the video before lunch. Kids from 3 towns away will be laughing at you by the time you get to soccer practice after school, and by the time you go to bed you have been called a Klutz ( and worse ) tens of thousands of times.

You remember Lord of the Flies ??? That takes place all day, every day in cyberspace for these kids. Its BRUTAL !!!

yep. privacy is shot. Once on the internet, seems to stay forever. Forgetfulness or even forgiveness is difficult.

But now if someone trips you, or the comments on the video are nasty....heck you can sue everyone for bullying, get a free college ride and put the bad kids in big enough trouble even the military doesnt want them.

Previous generations, kids got bullied and had to live with it..... so different times and different strokes but hardly any "harder".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom