View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 06:19 PM   #233
Sashimi
Veteran Member

City: Los Alamitos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Sashimi....you don't think you bear any responsibility for the criticism/sarcasm/hostility you got ?

It was your lack of experience combined with strong personal opinions that created those negative responses. You came right out and said that experience was over rated, weather concerns are over stated etc. When you come to a forum to ask people about their experience, and then tell them their opinion is wrong and devalue their experience, you will get pushback.

If you really were a deck officer, you probably should have brought that up sometime in the first 200 posts. It might have given you a little more credibility. Bringing it up now, just raises more doubts.

Edit: Yes, I read that article previously. BTW, I you have any doubts about my background, you are free to ask any question you want. Ask about Radar, or charts (but not maps), CPA CBDR, Lower limbs, deviation, navigator balls, anything you want. I won't cheat, i'll just answer and say I don't know if I don't. Ever had a vessel degaussed, I have. Ever seen someone de-loused (I have NOT)!!! Fire away.

If I was hitching a ride to Hawaii and could choose between an inexperienced, Rhodes Scholar member of Mensa, or a regular joe who's done it a 10 times...I'm going with joe.

Here's some advice that you won't take, because you have enough aptitude that you don't need any advice. You can figure anything out on your own. Start over. Get a new screen name. Lurk for a while. Next time, ask about sailing to Bermuda, or Grenada. Have a few things nailed down first, like power vs sail...a budget...a time frame. Or if you don't know those yet..start with those questions. Its hard to take some one seriously and give appropriate advice when you don't know where they are on the skill/experience/common sense spectrum. What kind of boat you need depends a lot on who you are. I would need a much more capable boat than Dennis Connor or Earnest Shackleton for example.

You might want to spend 15 minutes and read the following. You can dismiss the mistakes the sailors made, but the "review" section is pretty informative

EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Lessons Learned: Sailing to Hawaii...The First Attempt by Arnold Rowe

And lastly....go look up "humility" in the dictionary. Good luck.
I would also like to say, I do much appreciate the good advice on vessels and related topics I received, and there was a lot of good advice, including the one above, and again, thank you. I will read the item you've linked.
Conner, as I recalled was a racer, and Shackleton an explorer in Arctic waters. He got trapped in ice, and his vessel ultimately crushed and sank. I read a book about him several times nearly 50 years ago.

I think any reasonably competent mariner can make the voyage without problem. Lots do.

I heard a discussion by a guy who was moving a largish Sportfisher to Kona on its own bottom. Hit a whale but managed to keep the vessel afloat using an engine cooling pump as a large bilge pump. Disconnected the intake from the seacock, shut same, and fired up the engine which then sucked raw water from the bilge. Ran back to shore for quite some time that way. He had no experience doing that (who has), but used his aptitude and ingenuity to find a solution. He is a big-time marlin tourney fisherman.