Rigid solar panel as a hard top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivierapaul

Hi, I'm new to the forum and in proces of buying an Mark 1 with no generator and was thinking of building a hard top with rigid solar panels to charge the house batteries, will be too much wheight ?
Thank you
Paul

There is an extensive thread of one of our fellow member who exactly built this you may find it interesting as it was very nicely built.

L

Problem with a solar power hardtop is that you can't really store stuff on it (like a dinghy).

I am right behind you, watching this thread closely. I have plenty of solar panels and soon may squire a Mark I (guess which thread we are on ComoDave....LOL)

How would I find the thread on the hardtop build?.
Thanks

I'd like to know too. I tried searching but things like "solar" and "hard" and "bimini" are all way too common to be much help in narrowing it down.

The OP is new here. Surely a little help would be appropriate.

Before going ahead with a solar "Bimini" consider:
1- cannot store anything up there( as opposed to a plain hardtop)
2- how will you clean off the inevitable bird poop
3- can it be removed easily in case of hurricane or strong storm.

It's a great idea, but in practicality there are some issues.

Last edited:
Before going ahead with a solar "Bimini" consider:
1- cannot store anything up there( as opposed to a plain hardtop)
2- how will you clean off the inevitable bird poop
3- can it be removed easily in case of hurricane or strong storm.

It's a great idea, but in practicality there are some issues.

1 cant store anything on a canvas Bimini. Which is what I have.
2 Hinged panels would work
3 if designed properly the hinge could be un pinned.

All solvable issues if I take my time.

Only issue I have is cant be taken down fast enough to address a sudden squal

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

I never take down my cloth bimini. Would be difficult at best, nearly impossible in any sort of foul weather. I'm not really sure this is a huge disadvantage.

What does one do about bird droppings on ANY solar panel, and why wouldn't this be the same?

Thanks for the link!

I never take down my cloth bimini. Would be difficult at best, nearly impossible in any sort of foul weather. I'm not really sure this is a huge disadvantage.

What does one do about bird droppings on ANY solar panel, and why wouldn't this be the same?

We just experienced a CAT 4 hurricane and Biminis that were not taken down before the hurricane WERE taken down by the hurricane.

Thanks for the link!

Hey Tom,
Not sure about the birds in Maine, tho do know something about the horseflies :).... but in my experience, bird droppings do not come off with just a hose, they need some elbow grease to remove, and incidentally how are you going to get up there. You don't want to be walking around or putting your weight on them. If they cover your flybridge, it's not going to be a piece of cake. :facepalm:

And as an answer to the OP, don't think a hardtop and panels would have that much of an effect on your Mark I, tho they are a bit top heavy, and do tend to rock back and forth in 3-4+ foot swells on the beam. I've never left the flybridge due to it, but you do have to hold on.

I had a 160kw solar panel on a separate frame just above my Bimini. Kept my 2x120ah batteries charged and also ran my fridge when on anchor most days

In answer to the OP, why not?

This might be of interest too. http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/my-solar-system-35557.html The panels are flexible zipped to the fabric bimini.
One of our neighbours has flexible panels attached by toggle studs to an extended canvas cover over the cockpit. Easy to remove,just as well, one panel failed quickly.The flexible panel may not be quite there yet.
Another TF member(Rebel) attached rigid panels over the existing bimini tubes, bolting through,with the holes in the canvas properly trimmed. Rigid attachment might add some strength to the bimini, depending on the quality of the panel framing, but flexing of rigid panels might be terminal.

The solar bimini thread was mine. KaJen was on the hard at Indiantown Florida when Irma hit last year. Sustained winds of 80 plus with gusts well over 100. Solar bimini was in place and there was no damage! Before leaving the boat I added ratchet style tie downs to help hold everything more firmly.

To clean the panels I stand on the railing at the rear of the fly bridge where I feel secure and hose them down, give them a quick scrub with a long handled deck brush, and give them another hose off. Works great. I do this early in the day before they get hot. They really don't seem to get that dirty.

Last season I went over four months without ever plugging into shore power or running the generator. I would not go back to life without solar. BTW, 1,600 watts into 800 amps of batteries fully charges the battery bank by noon or so except on rainy days, when it can take till 2 or 3. Of course I'm in the Bahamas so ymmv.
Arch

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom