Cruise to Hawaii and Possibly Tahiti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your attitude brings out the worst in people, it seems wherever you go. Please add me to your ignore list, but don't bother responding to this, because you will be on my ignore list before you get a chance.
You got things bass ackward.

I don't see the big technical issue here. You buy a 30 y/o $150k KK42, fill it with fuel and food for 3 weeks. You head west, if there is trouble you call it in. Something big and floaty will pick you up, the boat will continue to drift. But, you might just make it over OK. Prolly a bit better than 50/50.

Or, do what most folks do, and that is what I call "progressive penetration". Term used by NE deep wreck divers. Basically, start a bit slower, don't make the stuffing box visit on the Andria Doria your first ocean dive.

I don't see the big technical issue here. You buy a 30 y/o $150k KK42, fill it with fuel and food for 3 weeks. You head west, if there is trouble you call it in. Something big and floaty will pick you up, the boat will continue to drift. But, you might just make it over OK. Prolly a bit better than 50/50.

Or, do what most folks do, and that is what I call "progressive penetration". Term used by NE deep wreck divers. Basically, start a bit slower, don't make the stuffing box visit on the Andria Doria your first ocean dive.

Wifey B: So he wants to finance it. Will you finance it for him? :)

Wifey B: So he wants to finance it. Will you finance it for him? :)

And if it’s financed, the lending group will require insurance. They will ask his navigation limits. With the lack of experience and his dream, the monthly insurance premium, if he can get it, will problemly exceed the loan payment.

When I was 25, I had about $50k saved up, good job and wanted to buy a GB42. A LTV of about 40%. Very good credit, of what there was. I could not find a single bank to loan me the $. I had no real estate, so I was viewed as high risk. In the case above, a go fund me might be the ONLY way.:socool:

hey, if you are not risk adverse....there are lots of opportunities.

As I said, I would not feel comfy in a powerboat something under 65 feet. I have been near pole to pole in big USCG cutters and have been uncomfy, but not scared....I just feel the bow of whatever powerboat I am on should make it over MOST of the waves you encounter.

BUT.....if you are really willing to throw caution to the wind, hey, go for it. USCG C130s will drop you rations and liferafts and they are easy to get between California and Hawaii. So it isnt a death sentence with a $150K budgeted power boat...as long as your EPIRB works as advertised.

hey, if you are not risk adverse....there are lots of opportunities.

As I said, I would not feel comfy in a powerboat something under 65 feet. I have been near pole to pole in big USCG cutters and have been uncomfy, but not scared....I just feel the bow of whatever powerboat I am on should make it over MOST of the waves you encounter.

BUT.....if you are really willing to throw caution to the wind, hey, go for it. USCG C130s will drop you rations and liferafts and they are easy to get between California and Hawaii. So it isnt a death sentence with a $150K budgeted power boat...as long as your EPIRB works as advertised.

I crossed that particular stretch of ocean 2 times, and have no recollection of such conditions. May happen, but I suspect the conditions are being, well, overstated.

What a damned good idea, anyone to fund me? You will be rewarded by nic pics posted here :)
Advertising, sponsorships other ways to monetize the trip. Footage from hand held as well as drones. Lots of possibilities to cover some part of the nut.

Look at this thread positively.

Somewhere, somebody who is not a troll has been wondering about this sort of blue water endeavor. Possibly, they learned a tiny bit about costs, vessel type, experience, insurability and off shore decision making.

Thank you Swami.

Look at this thread positively.

Somewhere, somebody who is not a troll has been wondering about this sort of blue water endeavor. Possibly, they learned a tiny bit about costs, vessel type, experience, insurability and off shore decision making.

Thank you Swami.
Just another high horse DB. Your mockery is just about par for the course. GTH.

IMG_2479.jpg

great story, and the last lines:

C&K: And finally, Ed, why did you do it? What compelled you to attempt this seemingly impossible California-Hawaii crossing?

EG: Crossing oceans and paddling coastlines is what I’m really good at. I kind of flounder on land.

he would have made some internet people mad too. :dance:

I crossed that particular stretch of ocean 2 times, and have no recollection of such conditions. May happen, but I suspect the conditions are being, well, overstated.

you just proved your inexperience in that statement.

it not usually weather that does crossers in by itself,... especially in power vessels.

it not usually weather that does crossers in by itself,... especially in power vessels.
My statement does NOT prove or disprove anything. Your attempt (failed) to weaponize it does, however........

Hi,

I am considering a passage from CA to HI. While I haven't nailed down the vessel type (power or sail), I am currently leaning toward power, and specifically the Trawler variety. I have considered sail, buth mono and multi, but the idea of an exposed cockpit doesn't really appeal to me.

I would try to cruise at about 5 kts to save fuel, and am asking if anyone has any advice on what size of boat would be appropriate for such a passage, multi or single engine, opinions on Mainship, Hatteras or any other suitable vessels.

What type of provisions (drums, bladders, jerry cans, inside or outside storage) etc., for extra fuel. What sort of fuel consumption can be expected for a boat large enough to be suitable would be at, say 5 kts.

Please educate me beyond what I have done for myself so far.

Also, any opinions on large engines running more slowly, or smaller engines running at a higher rpm re: fuel consumption. Turbo or NA, 71 and 53 series DDs. Any and all information on a suitable vessel/engine would be appreciated. I am all ears.

With all the excitement, I forgot the original question.
My answer is: a sailboat with a "non-exposed" cockpit. There, we are done. I think there is a different forum to work out the details. ;)

We will see....:)

The one thing about the Coast Guard is that they go out when the Navy stays in harbor. Toughest of the tough, IMO, and Coasties get exposed to weather many of us won't see unless we seek it out.

The Hiscocks sailed around the world for 40 years and they say they never encountered winds greater than 30 knots because they simply didn't go someplace when the weather pattern was unfavorable. The worst weather we had, and the only time I hove to on the way to Hawaii, was in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. One of the reasons I liked the looks of Delfin is that I thought that powered vessel notwithstanding, she would heave to. And she does, quite nicely. You can go through a hurricane without incident if properly hove to, as the Pardey's did in the Indian Ocean.

As I said, weather is only part of it.

And less than the right boat, with the right preparations, and the right crew, all it takes is one hour of the wrong weather combo to take down many otherwise well found boats. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is what can get you. Thats why I have a thing about size, because a lot of seaworthy things are either there or are easier to install.

I did post it can be done in almost anything...but most powerboats under 65 and especially less than $200k for purchase and outfitting would not make my cut.

And less than the right boat, with the right preparations, and the right crew, all it takes is one hour of the wrong weather combo to take down many otherwise well found boats. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is what can get you. Thats why I have a thing about size, because a lot of seaworthy things are either there or are easier to install.

I did post it can be done in almost anything...but most powerboats under 65 and especially less than $200k for purchase and outfitting would not make my cut.

Wifey B: Doesn't Pacific mean peaceful? ;) Surely they wouldn't advertise falsely? :rolleyes:

The one thing about the Coast Guard is that they go out when the Navy stays in harbor. Toughest of the tough, IMO, and Coasties get exposed to weather many of us won't see unless we seek it out.

The Hiscocks sailed around the world for 40 years and they say they never encountered winds greater than 30 knots because they simply didn't go someplace when the weather pattern was unfavorable. The worst weather we had, and the only time I hove to on the way to Hawaii, was in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. One of the reasons I liked the looks of Delfin is that I thought that powered vessel notwithstanding, she would heave to. And she does, quite nicely. You can go through a hurricane without incident if properly hove to, as the Pardey's did in the Indian Ocean.
Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated.

I share with you your respect and appreciation for the Coast Guard. Real Americans.

Thank you once again.

In over a half-century in the world of productive endeavor, I have found that while it carries some importance, experience is not nearly as important as aptitude.

People with aptitude can run circles around people who only know, and/or can do, only what they have direct experience at. Time after time I have dealt with people with years of experience who could not for the life of them do anything beyond what somebody has let them by the nose through doing.

Yes, I'll take aptitude over mere experience all day long. Experience, to be sure, is a bonus, but aptitude will get someone through almost anything, direct experience or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom