'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I apologize up front, as a never respond to drivel like this, but as the father of a millennial, feel the need to respond.

I can't comment on the kids you see as potential new hires. You see who you see, but what you post is not reflective of a whole generation of kids.

I am very proud of my daughter. Despite having some personal difficulties, see graduated last spring from an honors college, and begins a new job as a civilian employee working for the Coast Guard next week. :thumb: I have come to meet many of my daughter's friends at college and they are upstanding kids, who I have no doubt will make this country a better place. Does this mean that all millennials are hard-working, no, but that isn't any different than our generation either.

Regarding making health insurance available to children under 26, I think this is a great idea. My daughter was 23 when she graduated college. If I am paying extra to have her insured on my health insurance plan, why should you even care???

Oh, the horror of kids moving back home. :rolleyes:

Thirty-six years ago, after I graduated college, I didn't have a job and moved back into my parents house. Even after I got a job I lived at home for another two years. Gotta tell ya, my Mom was sad when I moved out! Guess that makes me a freeloader :ermm: (By the way, I have had a pretty successful career, went to grad school in the evenings, and have a great family myself).

My daughter will be following in her old man's footsteps. She will live with us for a couple of years while getting her career established and building her savings. Do you approve? Really, I don't care. :nonono:

I don't think millennials (as a whole) have to figure anything out. Like any generation before them, they are a wide variety of individuals.

Jim

Drivel?

Congratulations on your Daughter getting her degree and getting a job with the guard. Now kick her out of the nest and let her learn to fly.

I'm not the only one out there that feels this way about this generation, just ask anyone with a business, they most likely will concur.

The issue with this generation is they feel a entitlement, possibly due to our generation's coddling, being too easy, giving too much to these kids.
These are the kids that had the Kardashians to look to as examples!

You may have guessed that I am not pleased with the 26 year limit on health care, you bet as a middle class citizen and with the affordable care act I dont really feel obligated to help them... they are adults.

I also noticed on MSN this am there is an article on the couple standing on a dock looking sad... poor Millennial's !

HOLLYWOOD

Is it better to lend your kid some money to purchase their first home, or have them stay at home (paying room and board) for a few years to save their own down payment?

Our daughter is 16, coaches gymnastics twice during the week, once on Saturdays, judges in area gymnastics meets and has learned early that if you take courses to increase your knowledge, you get a higher rate of pay.

She'll be okay.

Is it better to lend your kid some money to purchase their first home, or have them stay at home (paying room and board) for a few years to save their own down payment?

Our daughter is 16, coaches gymnastics twice during the week, once on Saturdays, judges in area gymnastics meets and has learned early that if you take courses to increase your knowledge, you get a higher rate of pay.

She'll be okay.

Sounds like your girl has figured it out.

I would be in the camp to help the kids get there own place, its better to be tight on money and be working for something that is yours.

Nobody ever said that life .. or anything worthwhile has to be easy.
HOLLYWOOD

Today's "spoiled 20-year old" is tomorrow's grouchy 60-something complaining that "those damned kids have it easy". I am pretty sure that grey-bearded cavemen complained about those lazy kids and their new-fangled "fire" and how it has ruined a whole generation......

This thread reminded me to go check the GoFundMe site for the two dingbats "rescued" back in November.

They stand at $15 pledged. Beyond their own $5 seed money, that's ONE donation of ten bucks in 2.5 months.

Sort of restores one's faith in humanity, doesn't it?

So many questions:

They sold "everything"....and ended up with $10,090 !?!?!?!

Isn't that area all sand ? How do you knock your keel off in a slow boat with a sandy bottom !?!?!

If you can't find the channel...why not drop anchor and wait for daylight ? They were livaboards...its not like they weren't prepared to spend the night on the boat !?!?!

A cheap GPS is only a few hudred dollars....how can you not know where you are in this day and age ? Especially in a boat they were planning on going a great distance on.

I still can't fathom knocking your keel off unless you hit something really hard going really fast.....and at night, if you don't know if you're in the channel, you should not be going fast!!!

I'm sorry, but I can't just give these guys a pass for the ignorant innocense of youth. They are lucky they only sank and were close to shore. They have now left a hazard to navigation for everyone else to deal with, probably spilled some fuel into the water, endangered their own lives and more importantly that of their dog, who will probably contribute much more to society than they ever will. With their ineptitude, had a storm come up they would have been in real trouble and someone would have had to come out in dangerous conditions to help them, they could have created havoc in a busy harbor/waterway because I'm sure they would not have known what to do. Can you imagine these knuckleheads entering Gov't Cut in Miami, or Port Everglades with a few Cruise Ships exiting and all the commercial traffic ? Would you feel safe down wind from them in an anchorage ? They only reason they didn't create more havoc is because their stupidity was so limiting that they didn't get the chance to.

And these are just the short term problems they can cause. Its people like this that get people thinking about licenses, certifications and inspections, insurance requirements and all sorts of things that generally make life more complicated for the competent boaters.

There should be a national registry for people like this like there is for child molesters. You should be notified if they are in your neighborhood, and they should be forced to take out a $10k stupidity bond for their next calamity.

There should be a national registry for people like this like there is for child molesters. You should be notified if they are in your neighborhood, and they should be forced to take out a $10k stupidity bond for their next calamity.

Or, at least keep them out of the greater Boston area. :angel:

So many questions:

How do you knock your keel off in a slow boat with a sandy bottom !?!?!

If you can't find the channel...why not drop anchor and wait for daylight ? They were livaboards...its not like they weren't prepared to spend the night on the boat !?!?!

Bet they didn’t know what keel bolts are plus 1969 boat.
They obviously weren’t good at being livaboards yet.

Let me guess, they did not buy insurance?

May be I should start one

Some people must feel bad for them, Their GoFundMe account is up to $2,144 :rofl:

I wonder if they were wearing life jackets

I don’t know, but they seem alright to me. I read no where that they were begging for money. Lack of experience and expertise? Sure. I can imagine, based on no evidence that they over estimated speed over ground and came in way later than planned. Hard to see day markers at night. Easy to get confused at night. I don’t understand having only $90 in the kitty... perhaps they were getting by on love, or some such...

I have heard of dumber things, like cave diving

I misstyped. The dives are next Mon and Tues. I have to drive the length of the country first. That will be the dangerous part.

Long wait

I'm just mad at them because We have to wait until we are retired to do something like they are trying to do. :banghead:

Today's "spoiled 20-year old" is tomorrow's grouchy 60-something complaining that "those damned kids have it easy". I am pretty sure that grey-bearded cavemen complained about those lazy kids and their new-fangled "fire" and how it has ruined a whole generation......

My Dad went through the depression and spent his 21-24 years of age in the Army in WW2. He thought we baby boomers were soft, privileged, and unappreciative.:D

My Dad went through the depression and spent his 21-24 years of age in the Army in WW2. He thought we baby boomers were soft, privileged, and unappreciative.:D

And you can be dang proud of him if he was the good guy you make him sound.

I have 2 great sons...more gen-x than millennial...but one did Navy time, the other rose through corporate ranks like a lightning bolt with only 1 semester of community college.

Neither have much good to say about their peers and youngers....

I have watched youth in the USCG, business, Boy Scouts for the last 35 years...and have to say, while there are outstanding youth in every generation, the requirements to even join and remain in many organizations now has been diminished to the point where it is obvious.

Devil's eye/ear are great...I've never done the others....and I've only done them at the cavern diving level...not full cave dives. Enjoy!

I doubt if he could buy a decent bass boat outfit for $5K.

If this dude expects sympathy from this crowd, he better look for it in the dictionary. He will find it between chit and syphilis.

So far there has been no mention of any insurance.
If he did not buy insurance for his boat, he may not have insurance for his car. I suspect he will also have to pay a fine for environmental damage too.
Maybe no medical or life insurance either.
I wonder if he had PFDs onboard.

Based upon what I have read here, this couple sounds like the poster kids for "Ill Prepared."

I wonder how the dog felt about this adventure.

Last edited:
Greetings,
"I wonder how the dog felt about this adventure." I suspect he/she/it found the whole exercise re-pug-nant.

200w.gif

Greetings,
"I wonder how the dog felt about this adventure." I suspect he/she/it found the whole exercise re-pug-nant.

200w.gif

Do you think pugs are to wolves as we are to Cro-Magnon's?

Last edited:
They are over half way to their goal of 10 grand.

Greetings,
Mr. MM. You been visiting the Sunshine Coast again?

Sorry...lost on me. Reefer madness reference?

Cro-Magnon’s were bigger, stronger, and had larger brains than us. Just sayin ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom