Have Chevy Trucks Forsaken The White Collar Men?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
Am I the only one who has noticed that the recent Chevy truck ads have only included "good ol' guy" rednecks in their truck ads? No women, nobody in suits, nobody who looks like he/she works in a professional capacity? You, only the good ol' fat rednecks addressing their love for the new trucks in their mumbling, stumbling, kicking their feet, shuffling around with their hands in their pockets. All the while mumbling their unintelligible phrases and "man sounds" as the drool over new trucks.

Where are the "Women Matter" groups and the "White Collar People Matter" groups?

You've been tossed to the curb by Chevy's truck division. Sorry. It would appear you no longer matter to Chevy.

If you changed channel from reality TVs Swamp People and Monster Trucks Rally, you might see some different commercials. Just saying.... :flowers:

Ted

you may be more of a GMC. Denali type anyway . very nice trucks .my boss has one.

Ted, I'm watching the Barrett-Jackson auction on Velocity TV. We're down here in Phoenix and spent Thursday with some friends wandering around the Barrett-Jackson auction grounds. With about 5,000 of our closest friends.

Being an avid people watcher, I was very interested in the crowd. Very upscale, very affluent, mostly white, mostly males, but I don't think I saw many who looked like they stumbled out of a Chevy truck ad.

And for those who might be interested, we did get a few things at the auction: Two hot dogs, a couple of beers and tired feet.

For those of you who have never been to a Barrett-Jackson auction, I'd suggest you try to make it. Phoenix is their largest auction. They have over 1,500 cars crossing the auction block and over a MILLION square feet under their tents. This was my third trip to the auction and every time has been special.

An ad was just on, Chevy trucks, 2 women 2 men. I have not noticed their bias in their ads. My last two trucks were Fords after a lifetime of Chevys.

Personally, I wish truck ads (and truck designs, and truck prices!) would go back to the old days, when the whole point of a truck was to do WORK. Not to impress people with designer interiors and opulent option packages.

I can actually remember buying a Chevy truck which was the cheapest new vehicle on the lot. Now THAT was a long time ago!

Personally, I wish truck ads (and truck designs, and truck prices!) would go back to the old days, when the whole point of a truck was to do WORK. Not to impress people with designer interiors and opulent option packages.

I can actually remember buying a Chevy truck which was the cheapest new vehicle on the lot. Now THAT was a long time ago!

Yea, truck prices, especially pickups, have gone berserk! Friend of mine just bought a new basic ford for $52K. I've haven't spent that much on all the cars trucks I've owned in my life.

I'm happy with a good old used Suburban. Cheap, do a LOT of work and last long. I'm on #3 over 35 years and spent a totally of $20k buying all of them.

Also, I don't watch ads, so don't know what's popular.

See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without. HOWEVER! I also want it to be my daily vehicle. I don’t want to own, insure, and maintain a third vehicle just to have a truck. Therefore, having it be comfortable and loaded with all the modern amenities as cars is a HUGE plus for me. It is my main vehicle, even for around town and back and forth to work.

My wife drives a new pickup truck. I drive a minivan. Many of my corporate job peers drive crew cab pickup trucks. I work in the ad business including a few pickup campaigns in the past. I would assume the grunt ads are attempting to recapture a lost demographic, the original labor centric customer.

My previous Ford pickup had a sticker price of $65,000. The corporate workers can afford the “work truck,” while jobsite Joe drives a used Honda Civic.

See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without.
it's called Hertz or U-Haul.

We have a GMC Terrain only because we use it to tow our Whaler. If I need to move something that won't fit in the Terrain I can rent a trailer from U-Haul or if it's bigger than that I can rent a truck from them or from Hertz. Or borrow a pickup from a friend and pay him with a jug. That's a whole lot cheaper and easier than licensing and insuring a vehicle I don't use for its intended purpose 99% of the time.

I've gotten by without a pickup truck for many years and have done just fine.

Am I the only one who has noticed that the recent Chevy truck ads have only included "good ol' guy" rednecks in their truck ads? No women, nobody in suits, nobody who looks like he/she works in a professional capacity? You, only the good ol' fat rednecks addressing their love for the new trucks in their mumbling, stumbling, kicking their feet, shuffling around with their hands in their pockets. All the while mumbling their unintelligible phrases and "man sounds" as the drool over new trucks.

Where are the "Women Matter" groups and the "White Collar People Matter" groups?

You've been tossed to the curb by Chevy's truck division. Sorry. It would appear you no longer matter to Chevy.

Well, Mike, after owning several Chevy trucks I thought about considering some other brands. That is until seeing the advertising. Women Matter and White Collar People Matter groups, really now. After seeing their latest ad campaign it was like they shot me right between the eyes. Yep, I'm proud to say that I am a typical tobacco chewing, snuff dipping, dirt kicking, about half rebel southern boy. I've never seen a tire that was too big for my truck.

I'm thinking of getting a big honking diesel powered Chevy pickup. You know, something that will pull my hogs to market, but will also tow my Airstream out West. Yessir, big horsepower and big torque is what I need. Bring it on Chevy. Let the other brands water down for the women and white collar men groups.

Last edited:
GM niche marketing. White collar guys are supposed to buy Escalades.

The whole idea of the Aussie" ute"(utility vehicle) was that it could be worked on the farm all week and take the family to church on Sunday.Things have moved on somewhat since then.

Well, Mike, after owning several Chevy trucks I thought about considering some other brands. That is until seeing the advertising. Women Matter and White Collar People Matter groups, really now. After seeing their latest ad campaign it was like they shot me right between the eyes. Yep, I'm proud to say that I am a typical tobacco chewing, snuff dipping, dirt kicking, about half rebel southern boy. I've never seen a tire that was too big for my truck.
Well shucks. I can't rightly say that I'm a redneck but I can tell from your autobiographical description that you're the kind of guy I'd love to sit down over a couple of cold PBR's and swap lies for a few hours.

When you hook up your Airstream if you find yourself headed toward SE Washington give me a shout.

First round's on me.

Mike, I was just having a little fun with you. Now, you've gone and ruined it.
Maybe not SE Washington next year, but maybe southern AZ next winter. We'll just have to see. What? Me lie? Surely you must be thinking of someone else.:D

See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without.

Wifey B: :confused::confused::confused: Can't possibly see why I'd need a truck. :nonono:

Speaking of pickup trucks who were, why did, the IDIOTS at Ford drop the Ranger midsize trucks from the product line? I had a couple of F150's they are now bigger than I need so had to go to Toyota Tacoma it is fine but I'd rather a Ford Ranger with 6' box.

Cant ever have too many trucks. I've got two, an 04 Dodge 2500 diesel, quad cab long bed with about 250k miles on it. I've replaced a couple things, but its a beast. Goes anywhere and, knock on wood, has never left me stranded. Even gets 20 mpg.

Just picked up a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. 4 door, short box, 4 wheel drive. So for, what a great truck. And, its getting almost 24 mpg.

Cant ever have too many trucks. I've got two, an 04 Dodge 2500 diesel, quad cab long bed with about 250k miles on it. I've replaced a couple things, but its a beast. Goes anywhere and, knock on wood, has never left me stranded. Even gets 20 mpg.

Just picked up a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. 4 door, short box, 4 wheel drive. So for, what a great truck. And, its getting almost 24 mpg.

SUV is pushing our limits. Never owned a truck.

Speaking of pickup trucks who were, why did, the IDIOTS at Ford drop the Ranger midsize trucks from the product line? I had a couple of F150's they are now bigger than I need so had to go to Toyota Tacoma it is fine but I'd rather a Ford Ranger with 6' box.

It's back! https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/

The Ranger is the perfect size for me. Big enough to haul yard and boat stuff. Small enough to maneuver like a sedan. I'm on my 3rd one. The first, actually a Mazda B2000, eventually rusted away, the second was t-boned and rolled. Currently driving the 2004 model. It will be my last unless it gets wrecked.

What? Me lie? Surely you must be thinking of someone else.:D

Who_Me.jpg

That's an SUV with a birth defect

See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without. HOWEVER! I also want it to be my daily vehicle. I don’t want to own, insure, and maintain a third vehicle just to have a truck. Therefore, having it be comfortable and loaded with all the modern amenities as cars is a HUGE plus for me. It is my main vehicle, even for around town and back and forth to work.

I want a truck but haven't made the jump over to one yet. I'd buy used(always do).

I drive a Land Rover LR3 that can tow 8,000 lbs and has an awesome air suspension though. Wife took my Genesis and got rid of her BMW.. I really miss that 400hp V8 and autopilot cruise control but drive it on weekends/night out... All for under 30k with 19k miles and 10 years of warranty. I just don't see the truck value.

I have a small utility trailer that I hook up for hauling firewood and random stuff.. I also don't baby my Rover and throw filthy stuff in there too. It's an 06 so who cares.

It gets put to work.
apKxP80l.jpg

puGEIGxl.jpg

Last edited:
Who needs a truck?

We have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon.

The last body on frame , the last of the greats.

Smooth quiet and holds 4x8 sheets of ply or wallboard with ease.

Tows a trailer to the dump, we don't worry about scratches loading or unloading.

In SW Florida trucks are in for kids , but I will keep the roadmonster with its Corvette L1 engine/tranny package .

At 75 being seen as cool hardly matters , being comfortable matters more.

Mike when I saw that picture I said, "wonder where Mike got that picture of me". Then I said, "wait a minute. That can't be me-----too much hair."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom