'We sold everything to do this and lost it in 20 minutes'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back when I was their age, and did stupid stuff like this, I at least had enough since not to tell the whole world! :D

Back when I was their age, and did stupid stuff like this, I at least had enough since not to tell the whole world! :D

I'm just sooooooooo thankful we didn't have phones with cameras to document our foolish antics when we were kids....
My grandkids would be teasing me about my favorite saying: "If ya gonna be stupid, ya better be tough!":rolleyes:

Yep, so happy there is no video of my homemade hang glider I built in about the 9th grade - of course no mountains in MS from which to jump. So two ski ropes tied together, one end to the glider(and me) and the other end to my younger brother's Honda Trail 70 - off we went down a long sloping pasture as the horses looked on in pity. Did not end pretty, but I survived with just a few bruises and scratches.:thumb::thumb: Oh, and there was that 'running with the bulls' thing in summer of '76:banghead: There might actually be some Spanish TV footage of that one:facepalm:

The bottom paint looks good. Not the usual of the failed dream crowd.
$5000 for a 1969 sailboat? Wow.

Not how I'd want to be remembered:

"Ya' know, his bottom paint looked pretty good..." :rolleyes::D

"Things in their view didn't seem to line up with a navigation chart they had from 2016-2017, and then their ship struck something in the water so abruptly that Walsh almost flew off the deck"

How fast can you go in a sailboat ?.....even if you can go that fast...if you're not sure where the channel is, and its dark.....I don't.....slow down maybe ?

This is the best outcome they could hope for. If it didn't happen here, it would have happened 50 miles from shore in a foreign country with no sea tow or USCG during a gale, and no one would ever know what happened to them.

Millennials? Anybody that didn’t do spectacularly stupid stuff when you were young and adventurous raise your hand. Definitely not a series of choices anyone with life experience would make but invoking Darwin is a little harsh. If they don’t learn from this and try it again, then, yeah . . . Darwin.

I do think planning like this is where a lot of derelict boats come from. Fortunately these folks will get to tell their grandkids “what we’re we thinking!??!”
I shudder when I occasionally think about some of the truly dumb things I did 40 - 50 years ago.

Greetings,
Mr. cj. "I shudder when I occasionally think about some of the truly dumb things I did 40 - 50 years ago." You're fortunate you grew out of it...

What ever happened to commons sense?

Yep, so happy there is no video of my homemade hang glider I built in about the 9th grade - of course no mountains in MS from which to jump. So two ski ropes tied together, one end to the glider(and me) and the other end to my younger brother's Honda Trail 70 - off we went ...

That's a good one. My hang glider story was when I should have known better, I was around 25. Also frustrated with a lack of hills in Ft Lauderdale.

I fashioned a couple of 10HP chainsaw motors, with props just forward of where my head was, and proceeded to try to get flying speed with the Tamarac fire dept looking on. Started on the takeoff roll and shortly had more speed than what my legs could keep up with. Not very clear what happened next but I found myself on the ground staring down two props going 10,000 rpm inches from my nose. I found the kill switch on the bar and somehow sold that contraption before something bad happened.

Likely didn't spend the grand or so a proper survey costs, penny wise pound foolish.

I'd bet keel bolts failed after 60 years

There are hundreds just like this couple on the East Coast, let alone the west coast and wherever.

Just cruising through Flirida you see most of the popukar anchorages half full of barely seaworthy, even mastless sailboats with gosh knows what tied alongside to make living aboard tolerable.

So this couple was hardly the total exception.....its a reoccurring issue that has far reaching ramifications for all cruisers.

Ask her "What's happens if the house burns down?"

I'll use that one next. we have to pay everything off for it to work anyway . around 5 years

This situation gives millenials a bad name! I know a lot of people think that millenials are a coddled generation but I think it depends how you raise them. My two sons are millenials and are both very hardworking and successful. They started working in our family business when they were 13 or so. Had to save 50% of every $1. Put themselves through University with a bit of help, and have excellent jobs. The couple mentioned in this thread are just not cut from the same cloth...

Proud of my two sons. Well-employed without drugs or tatoos!

This situation gives millenials a bad name! I know a lot of people think that millenials are a coddled generation but I think it depends how you raise them. My two sons are millenials and are both very hardworking and successful. They started working in our family business when they were 13 or so. Had to save 50% of every $1. Put themselves through University with a bit of help, and have excellent jobs. The couple mentioned in this thread are just not cut from the same cloth...

Millennial's...

I''m sorry but they may someday be known as the worst generation.

The previous administration even changed the age limit so the worthless piece of crap kids that fail to launch and still live in their parents basement can get health care from the folks until 26? WFT!.

I had 1 person out of all the people I went to school that still lived at home until he was 25.. the rest of us ALL got on with our lives and became productive human beings.

About half of the kids my oldest daughter went through school with either never moved out.. of moved back in after college. ( Mine attended the USAF Academy and is a now serving officer in our military) The other is finishing College early and headed to Med school.

I run a Construction company and cannot find kids that want to learn a skill and make something of themselves.. Every and I do mean EVERY prospective under 35 year old I have ever interviewed wants to tell me what their work hours will be.. and that they expect to start around
$ 25.00 per hour .. to do the lowest entry level work in residential construction.

I'm sure this comes off as a rant but I truly believe we are headed for trouble if the next generation doesn't get it figured out.

As for the couple that the thread was about, I take no issue with someone setting out on their "dream", as long as they do it to not burden the rest of us when they get in trouble.. and dont start a "go fund me" account to pay for their ill preparedness and stupidity.

When the Admiral and I crossed the Pacific in the early 90's there were plenty of boats that were on a almost non existent budget ( the two guys that sailed to the Marquesas with only 1 fork and 1 spoon in their 24' boat because they couldn't each afford one come to mind). But they all assumed the risk .. and didn't expect the world to help them get out of a tight spot.
I think the couple that lost the boat close to shore got lucky .. if they went offshore they may have never of been seen again.
HOLLYWOOD

Millennial's...

The previous administration even changed the age limit so the worthless piece of crap kids that fail to launch and still live in their parents basement can get health care from the folks until 26? WFT!.

I had 1 person out of all the people I went to school that still lived at home until he was 25.. the rest of us ALL got on with our lives and became productive human beings.

About half of the kids my oldest daughter went through school with either never moved out.. of moved back in after college. ( Mine attended the USAF Academy and is a now serving officer in our military) The other is finishing College early and headed to Med school.

I run a Construction company and cannot find kids that want to learn a skill and make something of themselves.. Every and I do mean EVERY prospective under 35 year old I have ever interviewed wants to tell me what their work hours will be.. and that they expect to start around
$ 25.00 per hour .. to do the lowest entry level work in residential construction.

I'm sure this comes off as a rant but I truly believe we are headed for trouble if the next generation doesn't get it figured out.

As for the couple that the thread was about, I take no issue with someone setting out on their "dream", as long as they do it to not burden the rest of us when they get in trouble.. and dont start a "go fund me" account to pay for their ill preparedness and stupidity.

When the Admiral and I crossed the Pacific in the early 90's there were plenty of boats that were on a almost non existent budget ( the two guys that sailed to the Marquesas with only 1 fork and 1 spoon in their 24' boat because they couldn't each afford one come to mind). But they all assumed the risk .. and didn't expect the world to help them get out of a tight spot.
I think the couple that lost the boat close to shore got lucky .. if they went offshore they may have never of been seen again.
HOLLYWOOD

2nd worst generation bred the 1st worst.

Apple doesn't fall far from your opinion.

fact is when broken down every single generation has been proven to be inept by the incoming generation.. Such is the march of progress.

Naming the incoming generation by the former is part of it.. Being oblivious to the tide of progress is also part of it.

I agree that they were foolish and maybe naive. But considering/remembering some of the stunts my friends and I pulled, and now look back at and thank our lucky stars we are still here through no skill of our own, give them a break.

They were saved, got the dog, and are young enough they will learn and go on.

His last words were, "Here, hold my beer and watch this."

Last edited:
I look at all these beautiful boats and the prices. I realize how much I paid for my boat and think, either I paid too much or there is a lot of 'hidden' work or upgrades needing to be done.
My 34 foot boat might be considered a 'tea cup' compared to these boats and I sure would like 5 more feet but, I am satisfied.

Insurance settlement?

Those GoFund Me pages make me wonder. Will they buy another boat or just call it a done deal, pocket the money and move on with life??

Ok, a gofundme account has been set up and some donations made. I looked at it last night and there was already $500.
People also can make comments on the account. Let's just say the vast majority were not kind.
The couple said, the account is just to get enough money to salvage the boat. CG told them they had to get it out of the water as it is a hazard and the cost to remove is on their dime. Estimate was as high as $10,000.

Couple has said they can't wait to try this again and are already looking for a boat they can pick up for little, if any money.

These people sold everything they had, spent $5000 for the boat and another $5000 to fix it up. Boat was well stocked and they were headed for the keys and they had a full $90 to spend on their adventure

I think if I donate any money it will be to mercy chefs or something else like that

Greetings,
Well, I was willing to excuse their oopsie and put it down to the exuberance of youth BUT if they're going to go at it again, I'd diagnose insanity. No $$ from me.

EinsteinInsanity.jpg

I was 30, she was 26, we left on a 6 month sea kayaking trip along BC's coast in late October, snowed the first night, took only bear spray and knowledge of seasonal bear habitat to avoid, early 80's, no GPS, paper charts and a deck compass, hand held limited range marine radio, no contact with outside world for up to a month at a time, everybody told us we were insane, saw in some family members eyes on departure day that they never expected to see us again.

We did, however, spend several years reading all we could and earning our 'chops'...

No money from us.

Last edited:
That hitting "something" can happen to any of use. The N46 hit "something" in the ICW with no damage. At least if would have been a short swim to shore.

Millennial's...

I apologize up front, as a never respond to drivel like this, but as the father of a millennial, feel the need to respond.

I can't comment on the kids you see as potential new hires. You see who you see, but what you post is not reflective of a whole generation of kids.

I am very proud of my daughter. Despite having some personal difficulties, see graduated last spring from an honors college, and begins a new job as a civilian employee working for the Coast Guard next week. :thumb: I have come to meet many of my daughter's friends at college and they are upstanding kids, who I have no doubt will make this country a better place. Does this mean that all millennials are hard-working, no, but that isn't any different than our generation either.

Regarding making health insurance available to children under 26, I think this is a great idea. My daughter was 23 when she graduated college. If I am paying extra to have her insured on my health insurance plan, why should you even care???

Oh, the horror of kids moving back home. :rolleyes:

Thirty-six years ago, after I graduated college, I didn't have a job and moved back into my parents house. Even after I got a job I lived at home for another two years. Gotta tell ya, my Mom was sad when I moved out! Guess that makes me a freeloader :ermm: (By the way, I have had a pretty successful career, went to grad school in the evenings, and have a great family myself).

My daughter will be following in her old man's footsteps. She will live with us for a couple of years while getting her career established and building her savings. Do you approve? Really, I don't care. :nonono:

I don't think millennials (as a whole) have to figure anything out. Like any generation before them, they are a wide variety of individuals.

Jim

I'm guilty of more than a few "ill prepared" adventures in my 20's. Aren't we all?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom