UNIQUE Camano salon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Check it out guys! Love the comfy loungers. Very cool. My only issue would be the loss of storage under the normal factory benches and the reverse cycle AC spot. Also the lack of a co captain seat facing forward. Skip to minute 1:01 and 2:15 for the salon views...I wouldn't wanna make these changes to my boat but I do appreciate them. Boats should be personalized! Kudos.

Last edited:
That is nicely done. Nice for the PNW where you don't 'need' ac. I have debated shortening the table and maybe the bench on mine to make room for one comfy seat. That last storage compartment would be tough to give up as it holds my tools, mini-vac and extra life preservers.

Last edited:
I ran across this video a couple of months ago, as I scoured the internet looking for camano troll videos!

This idea puts the troll back up towards the top of my list of potential boats (still about 18+ months out from buying my boat).

I think this approach of taking out the settee and putting in two swivel recliners with a drop-down table is a great idea in helping make the boat more comfortable for a couple for extended cruising. :thumb: I have also seen a video of a Nordic Tug 32 where the settee was replaced with a pair of recliners, although it wasn't done as nicely as with the troll.

I'm thinking that to increase storage, one could then add an 18" deep cabinet or dresser across the salon against the starboard side wall. One could then mount a flat screen tv on top of the cabinet. Also, thinking one could mount a fiberglass dock box on the flybridge for additional storage.

The only big negative I see using the troll for extended cruising would be the tiny holding tank. I understand that a 14/15 gallon tank was used as this is all that would fit. Any thoughts on what folks do to cope with this?

Jim

First impression, loss of storage space in the saloon. Second impression, the same as the first. Third impression, someone forgot about the effects on resale value. Fourth impressions, I must be getting old when all I can see is the loss of storage space.

Thinking about the loss of storage space doesn't make you old, it means you have experience cruising on a small boat.

As you cruise, you're going to need toilet paper and paper towels. You're going to need food. And as someone pointed out, you'll need a vacuum cleaner.

If you just stay at a marina and seldom leave for more than a day cruise, you don't need the storage but you'll miss it if you cruise.

I ran across this video a couple of months ago, as I scoured the internet looking for camano troll videos!

This idea puts the troll back up towards the top of my list of potential boats (still about 18+ months out from buying my boat).

I think this approach of taking out the settee and putting in two swivel recliners with a drop-down table is a great idea in helping make the boat more comfortable for a couple for extended cruising. :thumb: I have also seen a video of a Nordic Tug 32 where the settee was replaced with a pair of recliners, although it wasn't done as nicely as with the troll.

I'm thinking that to increase storage, one could then add an 18" deep cabinet or dresser across the salon against the starboard side wall. One could then mount a flat screen tv on top of the cabinet. Also, thinking one could mount a fiberglass dock box on the flybridge for additional storage.

The only big negative I see using the troll for extended cruising would be the tiny holding tank. I understand that a 14/15 gallon tank was used as this is all that would fit. Any thoughts on what folks do to cope with this?

Jim

Jim, I hope you find a Troll! Good choice! The NT 32 is definitely an awesome boat as well (and in many ways is superior to the Camano). The interior space on the NT is a huge advantage and the extra fuel tankage is nice.

As to the Camano holding tank, I agree. It's definitely small. Its odd because I love the fresh water holding tanks capacity.

Honestly, I don't see much loss of storage space. Pulling out the settee easily frees up 2' of space along the length of the salon that could be used for a storage cabinet on the port side. Regarding this particular boat, settee or not, I would add storage up on the flybridge for extended cruising.

Regarding the resale effect, for me it would not be an issue. For extending cruising there is no doubt that my butt would be a lot more comfortable sitting in a nice recliner than on a settee. I could see that if someone where to buy a boat this year, customize it their own tastes, and re-sell it next year, that they would likely incur a loss. On the other hand, if one was to buy a boat, customize it for their own use, and then get several years of heavy use out of the boat, then any loss in resale value would be well worth it. For me, it is sad to see a boat not get used because it is not comfortable to use.

I did see one blog, I think it was with an older Nordic Tug 32, where the owners pulled out the settee, but the kept it intact, and put it in storage for the time when they would resell the boat.

Keep in mind that these are not $250,000 boats. A very nice camano troll can be had for about $90,000.

Jim

JLD, when we had our Camano I remember reading an article about adding an additional holding tank in the lazarette with a Y valve, PVC pipe, and a pumpout fitting in the deck. Can't find it now, but it looked interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom