Cruise to Hawaii and Possibly Tahiti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found a California-Hawaii voyage much more enjoyable on a 900+-foot ship over five days compared to an imagined two-week trip in a cramp, rolling boat without a wine bar and cooked-to-order pizza or a four-star meal prepared by others and ice cream at whim.

I've found a California-Hawaii voyage much more enjoyable on a 900+-foot ship over five days compared to an imagined two-week trip in a cramp, rolling boat without a wine bar and cooked-to-order pizza or a four-star meal prepared by others and ice cream at whim.

Well put Mark!

But, different strokes for different folks. This fellow seems bent on closely reviewing passage in a relatively small power boat. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill his personal desire.

I ask him to plan well, have best luck and take some pictures of what is interesting.

Good Luck - Sashimi!

Well put Mark!

But, different strokes for different folks. This fellow seems bent on closely reviewing passage in a relatively small power boat. Can't blame him for wanting to fulfill his personal desire.

I ask him to plan well, have best luck and take some pictures of what is interesting.

Good Luck - Sashimi!

Thank you.

I most prefer sashimi over sushi!

Feel better now?
Sashimi,that`s unecessary rudeness and does you no credit. Your position is unusual, eliciting a range of responses, including disbelief. Sunchaser is senior, experienced,and knowledgeable, in life and cruising. An instant decision on a Hatt with DDs was odd,some people saw it as such. As may you now.
You are fortunate some members took your enquiry seriously, responding in detail,including issues you seem not to be across.
You`ll likely be rude to me, if you respond, though I seek no response.You`re new,there are members who deserve respect, and there are others. Please take the time to discover the difference, it could be to your advantage.

Well put Mark!

Good Luck - Sashimi!

You're correct. I'm no longer young at heart.

Note, every time I come to this thread, I get a cruise-ship advertisement. :banghead:

Which reminds me. On our first California-Hawaii cruise, we rescued three men who then abandoned their sailboat in mid-Pacific Ocean.

Last edited:
You're correct. I'm no longer young at heart.

Note, every time I come to this thread, I get a cruise-ship advertisement. :banghead:

Welcome to 21st Century "comuno-tech". Google's got you pegged! :D

Not too distant future, there will be chips implanted into people. First at discretion... then by mandate. Control is the name of the game!!

OMG :eek: :facepalm: :nonono:

Please pardon the hijack. Now, back to Hawaii... long distance cruise! :thumb:

A lot of people have done it. Look around on the internet for blogs or posts of folks who have made the crossing, read what they have done, in what boat and what problems, if any they had.
Good luck!

Wifey B: I don't like raw meat, especially fish, or cruise ships. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

More for me! :D

Do you prefer long, open-ocean cruises in a small boat or disdain the idea of such a cruise?

Last edited:
A lot of people have done it. Look around on the internet for blogs or posts of folks who have made the crossing, read what they have done, in what boat and what problems, if any they had.
Good luck!

Wifey B: One thing to keep in mind when reading. Only those who survived have written about it. Even those who had awful times doing it tend not to write much as they often leave all boating. :eek:

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll investigate.

Sashimi,that`s unecessary rudeness and does you no credit. Your position is unusual, eliciting a range of responses, including disbelief. Sunchaser is senior, experienced,and knowledgeable, in life and cruising. An instant decision on a Hatt with DDs was odd,some people saw it as such. As may you now.
You are fortunate some members took your enquiry seriously, responding in detail,including issues you seem not to be across.
You`ll likely be rude to me, if you respond, though I seek no response.You`re new,there are members who deserve respect, and there are others. Please take the time to discover the difference, it could be to your advantage.

I'm rude to those who are rude or insulting to me. If people don't like it, they shouldn't be rude to me in the first place. While, as you assert, there are some that are very accommodating and informative, there are others who like to stroke their egos by dissing anyone they feel is less seasoned than they. The former I thank and respect, the later, well you saw a very mild form of my responses to them. I've been on many forums covering many topics from nautical to political. The forum-world is chock full of the pontificators and high-horsers. To be honest, it doesn't matter how experienced a poster may be, if they dis me, they should look for a return favor. I am not some punk.

I didn't really make an instant decision, I've been looking at this issue for months, and haven't really made a decision. Due to other information received later, I've abandoned the Hatteras, as well as DD's and may opt for a lesser cruise instead of Hawaii. I may even change oceans - am taking it all in.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get information on these forums because of the pontificators. Sure, they have their justifications and "reasons", but all it is is their own ego-stroking.

For example, I've been trying to figure out what FRP is. A Google search a week or so ago left me still confused, so I took the opportunity to ask here on the forum, and a high-horser unloaded on me for asking a question. I still don't know if it is just another word for fiberglass, or something different. Seems like a benign issue to be, but nonetheless a high-horser decided to stomp on me for having the temerity to dare ask.

Anyway, you know why and when I am "rude", and to be honest, it isn't going to change anytime soon.

I believe it’s “fiberglass reinforced plastic”, and that’s my best answer, though I’m sure to be corrected on some point.
Rest assured that anything labeled as FRP is what we all refer to as fiberglass.

I believe it’s “fiberglass reinforced plastic”, and that’s my best answer, though I’m sure to be corrected on some point.
Rest assured that anything labeled as FRP is what we all refer to as fiberglass.
All the definitions I read sounded just like fiberglass, so it appears it is just another name for that material!

Thanks for the clarification.

What Alfamike said, Hawaii is not the cruising paradise that most people imagine!
It’s hard/impossible to find even a temporary slip on short notice, and the state is not just brimming with friendly bays and lagoons for moorings.
Stiff trade winds predominate the weather, making windward moorings undesirable, and though you’d think that would affect only half the island, the wraparound reduces good moorings significantly.
Swells are a big deal here too, predominantly north in winter and south in summer, and can make an otherwise beautiful mooring either totally inaccessible or a highly unpleasant place to hang on the hook.
That said, I’ve lived here most of my life, and have travelled extensively, but I always come back home because there’s no place in the world quite like it.

All the definitions I read sounded just like fiberglass, so it appears it is just another name for that material!

Wifey B: Google is your friend. Here's the link that comes up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre-reinforced_plastic

So, it's Fiber Reinforced Plastic. Fiberglass is the most common kind, the fibers being glass. However, they could be other things. It's a composite. Fiberglass is FRP, but FRP doesn't have to be fiberglass, just it is in the realm of boats you're looking at. Now that I've shown you the technique for finding this answer, the teacher will leave the student to learn more.

Trying to follow your speed search for a boat, I gather Mainship is out. Hatteras was in but is now out, I can only assume because one person in the universe didn't like the engines or something.

I'd suggest you talk to two fine young ladies who recently had a time of travel involving Hawaii and Tahiti and are as misunderstood and have been as unfairly picked on as you have.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/lost-sea-months-35352.html

You might hook up with them and become a team. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm taking my beads off and going to bed. :rofl:

P. S. Boat recommendation. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2013/Feadship-LARISA-3126908/Italy#.Wn_cgujwY2w

Last edited:
I'm rude to those who are rude or insulting to me. If people don't like it, they shouldn't be rude to me in the first place. While, as you assert, there are some that are very accommodating and informative, there are others who like to stroke their egos by dissing anyone they feel is less seasoned than they. The former I thank and respect, the later, well you saw a very mild form of my responses to them. I've been on many forums covering many topics from nautical to political. The forum-world is chock full of the pontificators and high-horsers. To be honest, it doesn't matter how experienced a poster may be, if they dis me, they should look for a return favor. I am not some punk.

I didn't really make an instant decision, I've been looking at this issue for months, and haven't really made a decision. Due to other information received later, I've abandoned the Hatteras, as well as DD's and may opt for a lesser cruise instead of Hawaii. I may even change oceans - am taking it all in.

You have no idea how difficult it is to get information on these forums because of the pontificators. Sure, they have their justifications and "reasons", but all it is is their own ego-stroking.

For example, I've been trying to figure out what FRP is. A Google search a week or so ago left me still confused, so I took the opportunity to ask here on the forum, and a high-horser unloaded on me for asking a question. I still don't know if it is just another word for fiberglass, or something different. Seems like a benign issue to be, but nonetheless a high-horser decided to stomp on me for having the temerity to dare ask.

Anyway, you know why and when I am "rude", and to be honest, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
Disappointing.
I expect you have issues beyond forums. A number of members responded to your thread with ridicule.
Your FRP question was answered by Lou Tribal. Another term is GRP(Glass Reinforced Plastic). Both are, colloquially, fiberglass. Most TF members would expect a past and intending ocean crosser to know that.

Disappointing.
I expect you have issues beyond forums. A number of members responded to your thread with ridicule.
Your FRP question was answered by Lou Tribal. Another term is GRP(Glass Reinforced Plastic). Both are, colloquially, fiberglass. Most TF members would expect a past and intending ocean crosser to know that.

I knew what the acronym stood for. I didn't know if it was a different name for fiberglass. I've never heard of it before a short time ago.

Last edited:
What Alfamike said, Hawaii is not the cruising paradise that most people imagine!
It’s hard/impossible to find even a temporary slip on short notice, and the state is not just brimming with friendly bays and lagoons for moorings.
Stiff trade winds predominate the weather, making windward moorings undesirable, and though you’d think that would affect only half the island, the wraparound reduces good moorings significantly.
Swells are a big deal here too, predominantly north in winter and south in summer, and can make an otherwise beautiful mooring either totally inaccessible or a highly unpleasant place to hang on the hook.
That said, I’ve lived here most of my life, and have travelled extensively, but I always come back home because there’s no place in the world quite like it.
Thanks. I lived for some time in Aiea and am familiar with several of the Islands. The more I read, the less that particular trip appeals to me. However, the Society Islands are a different matter entirely!! I am taking it all in, and thank you for your perspective.

Disappointing.

Yes they did, they should be ashamed for doing so. I asked honest and legitimate questions in good faith and, as you correctly observed, was ridiculed for my trouble. Disappointing, as you also observed, to say the least.

My previous passages were made in vessels made of AMI,

Sashimi Anyone??

FRP is fibre reinforced plastic, but not all fibres are glass. Many use exotic fibres now, like carbon fibre, kevlar, etc, therefore FRP encompasses that variation in fibres to include the exotic fibres - all stronger than fibreglass, hence the need for the distinction. GRP refers purely to fibreglass, or glass reinforced plastic, using vinyl or polyester resin.

However, I'm confused as to why you found it difficult to Google, I found this with one search. Just sayin'...

Difference Between FRP and GRP: FRP vs GRP Compared

FRP is fibre reinforced plastic, but not all fibres are glass. Many use exotic fibres now, like carbon fibre, kevlar, etc, therefore FRP encompasses that variation in fibres to include the exotic fibres - all stronger than fibreglass, hence the need for the distinction. GRP refers purely to fibreglass, or glass reinforced plastic, using vinyl or polyester resin.

However, I'm confused as to why you found it difficult to Google, I found this with one search. Just sayin'...

I read a few definitions and it all sounded like fiberglass except the term "plastic" which is not what I perceive epoxy resin as being. I didn't see the item you refer to but I will sure read up on it. Thanks for the link. My search was somewhat casual bit driven by curiosity. Thanks for the clarification.

Detroit inline, natural engines are more fuel efficient than V or turbo versions. No DD have been installed in new trawlers since about the early 1990s. So for DD power you're looking for an older boat. For economy, a long maybe narrow hull is cheaper to push thru the water. My 83x17 boat with 2 DD 671 na can do the trip on about 1500 gallons @ 7 knots. But I prefer to cruise at 10 knots.
The cheapest boat/fuel economy would probably be a long, former commercial fishing boat with a big, old slow turning diesel like a Washington, Atlas, Superior, etc. If you can find one.
I've made the trip many times, but mostly in ships. It's boring except on a destroyer doing 27 knots. And someone else is paying for the fuel.

Hi,

The new technical fibers are very cool.:whistling:

The Elling E 3, 4 and 6 boats use twaron fibers (2 layers) and give the boat an incredible endurance to run at tx: a container at sea, body damage, but does not pierce and the boat does not sink and is possible to run a repair dock. Slightly the same as the bullet vest. Elling is a great boat, but I ended up last NT.

https://youtu.be/ZShIw_XOZU0

NBs

Detroit inline, natural engines are more fuel efficient than V or turbo versions. No DD have been installed in new trawlers since about the early 1990s. So for DD power you're looking for an older boat. For economy, a long maybe narrow hull is cheaper to push thru the water. My 83x17 boat with 2 DD 671 na can do the trip on about 1500 gallons @ 7 knots. But I prefer to cruise at 10 knots.
The cheapest boat/fuel economy would probably be a long, former commercial fishing boat with a big, old slow turning diesel like a Washington, Atlas, Superior, etc. If you can find one.
I've made the trip many times, but mostly in ships. It's boring except on a destroyer doing 27 knots. And someone else is paying for the fuel.
Thanks for your input.

As for long range cruising I would respectfully suggest you contact Richard who crossed the Atlantic twice regarding, type of boat, range, fuel storage, consumption etc.
Hawaii is a nice place but not that nice that I'd spend so much money to get there by boat, buy an air ticket and save your money for other cruises with much more interesting things to do and see.
We went once by air, so we've been there got the 'T' shirt and don't particularly want to go back again. Why spend so much on cruising a lonely blue/grey liquid desert ?
Think of your crew. if you're married now, you may not be when you come back.
Having said that its a free world, if that's what you wish then go for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom