Yachworld useability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
I am on a good computer on a fast connection and Yachworld absolutely SUCKS!!! It starts out good but I guess it is the advertising in the sidebar that clogs/hogs the bandwidth on the site???? Is there anything that can be done or any tricks that anyone uses to help it work more smoothly? Browser choices??? Is it just me???

PS....I am not in the market.....but I am always on the market!!!...;)

I've a couple ideas, but we will probably need more info on what you use in order to pinpoint a fix for you. In the meantime, here are some suggestions/questions:

What browser do you use? If you have more than one installed is it the same result for all?

For Google Chrome, the extension Adblock works well.

Also, I do not use Google search, but DuckDuckGo. It has an addon extension called Privacy Essentials that at time works too good. It does give you a grading scale for whatever webpage you are on that rates it's privacy with the extension active vs. turned off.

I browse Yachtworld, even on not optimal connections and I don't have issues, but I block advertisements with those extensions I mentioned and don't have the problems you describe.

Might be worth a try if you don't have them. You can always disable and/or remove them if they don't work for you.

I can’t use YW on my iPhone anymore because of the stupid virus that constantly redirects me.

But yes, generally, the site blows.

I've a couple ideas, but we will probably need more info on what you use in order to pinpoint a fix for you. In the meantime, here are some suggestions/questions:

What browser do you use? If you have more than one installed is it the same result for all?

For Google Chrome, the extension Adblock works well.

Also, I do not use Google search, but DuckDuckGo. It has an addon extension called Privacy Essentials that at time works too good. It does give you a grading scale for whatever webpage you are on that rates it's privacy with the extension active vs. turned off.

I browse Yachtworld, even on not optimal connections and I don't have issues, but I block advertisements with those extensions I mentioned and don't have the problems you describe.

Might be worth a try if you don't have them. You can always disable and/or remove them if they don't work for you.

I use Chrome usually. I did add the adblock extension and it seems to work. I even donated to their cause. Thanks amigo. I have been suffering this for awhile. I have no issues with other websites. YW just has so much flash content in the sidebar it is crazy. I open a page and it just gets slower and slower. It seems to be fixed now. Thanks again!

I've had better luck with chrome than ie .but it still locks up especially when scanning pictures. but I've spent my money(well the banks money) now so not a big deal anymore .

Yachtworld and its real estate sister Realtor.com absolutely suck at web based performance. It isn't your machine or its operating system. It is the server that feeds the data to you. It is slow on purpose.

Pictures are particularly slow. I often have to wait 10 seconds for the next picture to scroll in place.

When we were seriously looking for a condo in Florida I wouldn't use Realtor.com. I hooked up with an agent and used his system. It was quick and easy.

It is not surprising why this is the case for real estate. The agent based systems that you have to sign up for really pop. It is a conscious attempt to get you to commit to an agent and use their fast system.

Boats don't work that way since AFAIK there are no agent based MLS systems other than the broker's own listings and Yachtworld usually hosts them. But boats suffer the same fate.

FWIW the yacht brokers have no control over Yachtworld. They tried to start their own system and it fell flat. Yachtworld is an independent money making enterprise. And also when you use the broker only version of Yachtworld, Boatwizard, it really pops. But you have to be a broker who pays a fee to Yachtworld to get a password and use it.

David

Yachtworld and its real estate sister Realtor.com absolutely suck at web based performance. It isn't your machine or its operating system. It is the server that feeds the data to you. It is slow on purpose.

Pictures are particularly slow. I often have to wait 10 seconds for the next picture to scroll in place.

When we were seriously looking for a condo in Florida I wouldn't use Realtor.com. I hooked up with an agent and used his system. It was quick and easy.

It is not surprising why this is the case for real estate. The agent based systems that you have to sign up for really pop. It is a conscious attempt to get you to commit to an agent and use their fast system.

Boats don't work that way since AFAIK there are no agent based MLS systems other than the broker's own listings and Yachtworld usually hosts them. But boats suffer the same fate.

FWIW the yacht brokers have no control over Yachtworld. They tried to start their own system and it fell flat. Yachtworld is an independent money making enterprise. And also when you use the broker only version of Yachtworld, Boatwizard, it really pops. But you have to be a broker who pays a fee to Yachtworld to get a password and use it.

David

David, I would highly suggest you do as I did and put some sort of adblocker extension on your browser. It is free. The cause is not directly intentional as you suggest. It is the amount of flash content running ads on the page you are viewing. At some point, the ads clog the bandwidth slowing it down severely...to the point of locking up. Mine "pops" as you say now that I have the adblocker extension on my chrome browser. The pics load as fast as I can hit the button....IOW, immediately!!!

I used to have problems with Yachtworld with popups redirecting you to some Google site that you could not get back from. I downloaded a content blocker and now I don’t have any problems.

I agree, there are 20,30 maybe more ads that load on each new page, I can see them being loaded at the bottom of my browser, but not as you scroll pictures.

Why after a page loads and all of the ads have finished, are pictures so slow as you scroll from one to another. No additional ads are being loaded.

What adblocker do you recommend?

David

Last edited:
Why after a page loads and all of the ads have finished, are pictures so slow as you scroll from one to another. No additional ads are being loaded.

I agree, there are 20,30 maybe more ads that load on each new page, but not as you scroll pictures.

What adblocker do you recommend?

David

This is the one I used:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblocker-ultimate/ohahllgiabjaoigichmmfljhkcfikeof?hl=en

I think the ads have flash content...so they are streaming video. For me, the page would load fine and then just get slower and slower. I think it takes awhile for all of the flash content to get set up and load and then it starts to run...anyway, that adblocker above completely solved my problem...100% solved.

I just tried Yachtworld. The photos loaded immediately without any issues. I am using Clearly. It was free on the app store. It does block some sites that I use occasionally so I just turn it off then and back on when I am done with that particular site.

Wifey B: We use it with no problems, using Chrome and no add blockers and with flash extensions installed. I think if you don't have flash installed it actually slows it down as it wants to load but can't. Besides flashing will get you more beads. :)

And maybe some attention,some fun,some jail, some....

Wifey B: Didn't see a lot of flashing tonight on Bourbon Street. Mostly from balconies, some from below. That's the only place in Nola you can even think about doing it. They're too uptight. Not like Fantasy Fest. :)

And actually very few places it's illegal to reveal from waist up. They like to arrest but then have to let go. Normally they just ask not to overdo it.

Last edited:
Try ABP AdBlockerPro for Chrome and other browsers.

You might also try the Brave browser as well. It has blockers built into it's browser.

Stu

Yachtworld is fine IF you are looking to purchase a big buck brokered boat.

There will seldom be lower priced boats , as too many "lookey looers" tend to waste a broker time , with no thoughts of purchasing anything.

Other sites do better if you are looking for a modest priced ,sound boat that mostly needs cosmetics (high in skills and man hours) so expensive to repair with hired labor..

Anywhere in the USA one can find a high priced boat with a attentive broker.

Florida is the grave yard for boats , (and frequently their owners ) so looking , and digging thru local (cheap) adds is the way for the modest pocket book folks.

This is the one I used:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblocker-ultimate/ohahllgiabjaoigichmmfljhkcfikeof?hl=en

I think the ads have flash content...so they are streaming video. For me, the page would load fine and then just get slower and slower. I think it takes awhile for all of the flash content to get set up and load and then it starts to run...anyway, that adblocker above completely solved my problem...100% solved.

Thank you for sharing the link with us! I downloaded it & gave it a brief trial on YW where it seemed to make a dif. When I have more time to really test it & find it's helping me, I'll send them a few $$. I certainly don't mind paying for something that I use. :thumb:

I am on a good computer on a fast connection and Yachworld absolutely SUCKS!!! It starts out good but I guess it is the advertising in the sidebar that clogs/hogs the bandwidth on the site???? Is there anything that can be done or any tricks that anyone uses to help it work more smoothly? Browser choices??? Is it just me???

PS....I am not in the market.....but I am always on the market!!!...;)

Yes Baker, Yachtworld is cumbersome and commercialized. You very well understand how this Internet advertising works, seldom to the ease or comfort of the viewer.

The dozen or so (there are more) reputable yacht brokerages I look at from time to time have the same individual detail as Yachtworld but a on a less cluttered website. These sites have about the same ad nonsense as TF.

Back
Top Bottom