Helmsman 43 - New Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A family posted an article covering their use of a Seakeeper Gyro over 7K miles on the loop on Panbo.com today. It’s a good read in case anyone is interested in these. He covers the why, how it was done (retrofit), and overall experience with the GYro.

He has a 5 foot draft and bent 6 $5K props on his loop. That seems crazy expensive too!

The boat is for sale now on YW.

2003 Carver Gyro Stabilized 570 Voyager PH Power Boat For Sale -

Really wondering what he wants to buy for his next boat but bet has a keel.

He needs to learn to stay in the channel. 6 props on the loop is insane. 6 props in a lifetime of boating is a high number. Apparently he didn't learn very well.

Only 2 were bent out of the channel and that was due to erroneous information about an anchorage. Just a lot of bad luck.

I recommend Morad or Pacific Aerials antennas. Superior performance from each.

The Morad is a bit unconventional looking. Pacific Aerials offers some useful cabling options.

I have not been impressed with the brand beginning with S. I have no commercial affiliation with any of them - but I have used many of them all personally and professionally.

Good Luck

I'd like to echo what Irene says here. my PO had two VHFs made by "the brand beginning with S", in their defense they were probably on the very low end and only 3dB gain units... nevertheless I was not impressed, nor was the experienced marine tech we typically use.
I've ordered two 6 dB MORADs to be put on this spring. Agreed they're aesthetically a bit unusual but my focus is on performance and build quality. if MORADs are good enough for the USCG, thats what i want on our boat. ;)

seakeeper scoop

~

here is a photo of the scoop -- we placed it over the flat opening for the water intake. it is near the aft end of the hull, so I was getting air into the pump when under way causing a vapour lock. this solved the problem. we have a seakeeper9 since the boat is just at the 50' mark.
hope this helps!

Seakeeper Gyro (5 Series), Engine, and Gen.

Attachments

• Seakeeper.jpg
    Seakeeper.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Engine.jpeg
    Engine.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Gen.jpg
    Gen.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 127
Final stages at the yard. She will be on a ship soon heading to the West Coast.

Attachments

• Yard.jpg
    Yard.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 173
That seems like a fast build to me. I'm sure it seems much longer to you who's writing the checks and making the decisions.

:thumb:

That seems like a fast build to me. I'm sure it seems much longer to you who's writing the checks and making the decisions.

:thumb:

It doesn't take long to build a boat. A boat in this range should always come in about six months. As you move up toward 100' you add months but still should be under a year. Everything else is delay and is costly and unnecessary and often reflects on the yard and problems they have. Can be anything from lack of working capital to chaotic lack of organization. Ultimately, you won't be profitable taking longer and a builder not making money becomes risky. To me, it's enjoyable following the Helmsman builds and seeing the professionalism. I loved the comment that Scott "will do what he says he'll do." So basic. The right way to conduct business. I liked following Bruce's American Tug build and one North Pacific build. There are good builders who do it this way and it's great when forum members are able to share experiences of those builds.

We should see her in person in a couple weeks, and everyone is excited.

Mock up Dwg: Chelsea Rose is my daughter, and Rose goes back several generations on my wife's side as a middle name.

Attachments

• CR graphic1.jpg
    CR graphic1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 119
She looks great! Be sure to post pics of her arrival!

New adventure about to begin! Congrats.

Great Circle - Close...

Attachments

• AIS Near LA.jpg
    AIS Near LA.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 157
Met with Scott at the Annapolis boat show on Thursday. He was just about to head over there and meet the ship! Enjoy the new boat.

Earlier today...

Attachments

• Ever Leniant in LA 4.jpg
    Ever Leniant in LA 4.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 154
  • Ever Lenient LA 5.jpg
    Ever Lenient LA 5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 145
That's so cool! I hope you'll be able to sleep the night before you pick her up...

Drive by this morning. CR is below deck and will come out soon.

Attachments

• Ever Lenient LA Wed.jpg
    Ever Lenient LA Wed.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 122
H43

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing your new Helmsman in San Diego.

John T

You must be pacing the floor like an expectant father!

giphy.gif

Yesterday - Shrink wrap removed, offload LA Harbor.

Attachments

• Ever Lenient Offload3.jpg
    Ever Lenient Offload3.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 159
Bill, when you have time please post a few pictures of your new boat. I'm sure you are enjoying every minute and likely took a few days off work. Looking forward to seeing you on the water.

John T

So, it looks like it was lifted off the boat attached to its cradle attached. I presume they dropped in on a low boy which then moved it somewhere in the port of LA where they could finish commissioning and launch. It would probably be too tall to move far.

David

The boat came out excellent; systems, interior, fit and finish.

Scott and Van spent a lot of time with me during the commissioning process, which was greatly appreciated.

Pictures attached from the yard.

Electronics install started yesterday. I will post some interior pics in a few weeks when things are cleaned up.

I hope my fellow TF'ers are well, and wish everyone a great upcoming summer boating season.

Fletch.

Attachments

• Yard2.jpg
    Yard2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Yard1.jpg
    Yard1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Looks great, congrats!

I look forward to learning of your outfit...

Must be a thrill. Glad it's going so well. Looking fwd to many more pics!

Maybe you should plan a trip up this way to see how she performs in the benign, fresh waters of the CA Delta. Better get a dink first, though.

"It's good for the hull and it's good for the soul."

Last edited:
Electronics are mostly done. The Furono NXT radar that uses Doppler and trailing shadows for targets has been great. We ran the boat overnight to the Islands so I got plenty of practice with it this week. The dual radar screen using two scales simultaneously is also helpful. The picture is at 5:30 am, with the sun rising behind her courtesy of Lil Dronie.

Attachments

• C7E802AD-29D1-4953-88B1-E2971869C6B6.jpeg
    C7E802AD-29D1-4953-88B1-E2971869C6B6.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Nice picture.
Have fun.
Don’t be shy on updates AND pictures! ��

Electronics are mostly done. The Furono NXT radar that uses Doppler and trailing shadows for targets has been great. We ran the boat overnight to the Islands so I got plenty of practice with it this week. The dual radar screen using two scales simultaneously is also helpful. The picture is at 5:30 am, with the sun rising behind her courtesy of Lil Dronie.

75 days for electronics and they still are not done? Sounds excessive, but I was also victim of an excessive commissioning time frame. Don't make my mistake of taking delivery before everything is 100% complete as proven by a sea trial.

Back
Top Bottom