Why in the world did I buy a boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
We've been planning our 4-day trip to Angel Island for months.* We had never taken our boat this far in one trip and looked forward to exploring new waters...and salt water at that!!* We'd travel in tandem with our friend, Gene, in his 42 Jefferson Sundeck. *It's a 55-mile trip that would take us just under 7 hrs.* We needed to time our departures well to get maximum benefit from the tides.* We knew we had to get there on Thursday to get a chance at a mooring for two boats.* Plus, having two full days on the mooring would allow us time to relax with our daughters and their boyfriends between our travel days.*
The Admiral and I would travel via FlyWright and the kids could join us via ferry to the island.* We scheduled Segway island tours for everyone for something unique and fun to do together.
We spent Wed night aboard in preparation for our 0800 departure.* We enjoyed an early shove-off at 0745 in near perfect conditions...bluebird skies, light winds, mild temps and an ebb tide pushing us down the San Joaquin River toward the San Francisco Bay.
img_3690_0_2766cd53b16151192e37ea25e1f72f18.jpg
img_3690_1_9628ea8bb64b3861dd21582ccd9b27c6.jpg

The Admiral kept our log updated with our ETAs and ATAs, which she seemed to enjoy.* We planned a rendezvous with Mark in his new sail cruiser, Carquinez Coot.* I looked forward to seeing her on the water and getting some photos for Mark.* We met as planned and got some great shots of his beautiful vessel, with full sails slicing through the river chop near the Benecia Bridge and the Mothball Fleet.*
img_3690_2_d2ea3bd96c4c9abe857ab6e7f2c3d441.jpg

After a 10-minute Coot Shoot detour, we continued our trip toward what I figured would be the roughest part of the trip, San Pablo Bay.* Since the predominant wind is SW and the ebb tide flowed in the opposite direction, this shallow bay is notorious for its rough, albeit predictable, conditions.* This day did not disappoint...we encountered 4-5 foot headseas which the boat handled very well.* There was plenty of spray and I even washed the anchor a few times, but no waves crashed over the bow and most water shed nicely...except for about 2 cups in the flybridge console that began dripping intermittently over the autopilot panel.* That was easily handled with a towel and resolved by closing the door securely.
[video=[MEDIA=youtube]-ibl_dc1T_c[/MEDIA]]
Once we passed Pinole Point, the waters calmed and the rest of the voyage was pleasant and relaxing.* We passed under the Richmond Bridge, aligned with Raccoon Straight and watched as the Golden Gate Bridge came into view just beyond Angel Island through the mist and haze of the bay.* It was a beautiful sight that beckoned me to continue westward, but I fought that temptation and turned into Angel Island's Ayala Cove.*
img_3690_3_cbe4beb87330393b7c355cf00410490a.jpg

img_3690_4_c3180ead7d4596d84778beacfabcb2a2.jpg

Upon arrival we found the first two moorings open.* I grabbed the first one with my Happy Hooker.* I had thought through the process many times in my head before arriving and it pretty much went according to plan.* The hooker tool requires some finesse that I lacked the first time, but I quickly learned and recovered.* Within a couple minutes, bow and stern lines were secure.* The next hour was spent setting up dinghy, kayak and drinks.* We had arrived!!
img_3690_5_b603bc0ebbd31cdd65e232a2c00b86b7.jpg

Over the following two days, we enjoyed touring the island via Segways, hiking, oysters and IPAs at the cantina and lots of good food and great company.* It's nice to know that our 20-21 year old daughters still enjoy vacationing with the parental units!
img_3690_6_4b227442da840896efed28af64fc33a8.jpg

img_3690_7_883b0df2b3dcd5ff45a76804b8acded5.jpg

img_3690_8_9500893cac32969b8c86a3dfa77ae498.jpg

On Sunday morning we started our trip home at 0730 to be able to ride the tide home to our marina.* We took advantage of 1-2 kt flood tides to push us upstream which trimmed* 30 minutes off our enroute time to the island.** As I referred to the chart plotter tidal charts along the way, we remained at the same point of the tidal chart, in effect, surfing our way upstream.* Even the Admiral got excited by the 10 kt SOG.*
img_3690_9_a09a431d6f0b96bbb404c9b74e73edbe.jpg

We enjoyed a great weekend with new electrical, lighting and sanitation systems on board working as well as expected.* Never quite found the time to install that new 22" HDTV, battery monitor, or Balmar alternator...that will have to wait until next week. *
But the best part of the week was the time spent with family and friends having the time of our lives...the look on the admiral's face when she mastered handling the docking lines with accuracy and confidence...the smile on my daughter Teresa's face as she glided almost silently on her Segway...the calm and beauty experienced with my daughter Laura on the top of Mt. Livermore as we took in the 360 degree vista of the bay area.* THIS is why I bought a boat!!
[video=[MEDIA=youtube]vkhV8x1W_FI[/MEDIA]]
img_3690_10_f032e9384e5d79c188764ffc8473944b.jpg

-- Edited by FlyWright on Tuesday 28th of June 2011 10:16:43 PM

Looks like you answered the question nicely. Nice pics.

Fly,

We've made the SF to Sac trip many times in our Catalina 27.*It was such a pleasure to finally get to the "warm waters" of the Delta and drop the hook in a slough.*We always seemed to get our butts kicked between Carquinez and*The Brothers on the way back though.* We would often duck into*the marina at Benicia or Martinez to wait for the tide*to turn. Ocassionally, we had to dodge the submarines coming up San Pablo Bay going to Mare Is.

I*also live in Sacramento now, but do my sailing on Folsom Lake. I really miss the*Bay though. I loved going to Angel Is, Horseshoe Cove, Sausilito, Pier 39, Jack London Square, etc.* I know some folks don't agree, but San Fransisco has got to be one of the best boating waters around.*

Thanks for the story and pics, brings back fond memories.*** KJ

ps* The Coot looks great.*

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 09:26:05 AM

Hey Al and Gene, I like your choice of canvas color!* It matches my sails!

It was fun to be a part of your adventure.* And thanks for the photos/videos (and so*changed*my avatar).

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 12:34:56 AM

Yes, what a trip, and so interestingly recorded. You must feel a real sense of satisfaction from all that, and the great pics. Well done, and yes....that's why we buy our boats. It's not every day we can go out, sometimes weeks or months go frustratingly by, or even every time out, that we can do such an all round great voyage, but when you strike a beauty, it makes all the other less spectacular ones fade into past memory. Rather like when you hit that one fantastic shot in golf. It's what keeps you coming back. Well done.

Looks great. You should start a blog at Blogspot.

LOVE it! You got some awesome shots!! The shot of your friend's jefferson looks like it is out of their catalogue! :) Love mooring bay shot too- and cool vid. Looks like a great trip and fun times. Super glad you shared!

What a great report!

Those pics will really piss off us Pac. N.Westers though... what no rain??

My only other thought is you need to rename the thread to:

Why I bought a boat !!

HOLLYWOOD

Extremely well done. Wish we could see more of these trips in the same manner.

Maybe the moderators should make it a requirement of our continued access to this site that we annually post a photographic report along the lines of "What I did on my summer (winter, spring, fall) boating vacation (trip, excursion, weekend).

What an awesome trip..thank you for sharing.
Flywright looks plenty proud sitting high in the water.

The Delta looks like a great place to be boating, sure could be fun to try sometime.

Excellent photos and video (btw thats nothing for a Californian)

dwhatty wrote:
Maybe the moderators should make it a requirement of our continued access to this site that we annually post a photographic report along the lines of "What I did on my summer (winter, spring, fall) boating vacation (trip, excursion, weekend).
*Now that wouldn't be fair. *How would those of us who don't have a boat but are working towards one, be able to learn from all you masters out there. *Sometimes as almost all of you have pointed out, Life gets in the way and you can't get boating for a period of days, months or years. *It is forums like this that keep the spirit alive.

What a super presentation of a real boating event! I got the message clearly, and you're so right!! I think some of us might have difficulty upstaging your great time, especially since you didn't remark about a single delay or stop to "fix". Maybe hearing "Why you bought a boat" is "Why we're members of this site"!

scarletbison wrote:
*Now that wouldn't be fair. *How would those of us who don't have a boat but are working towards one, be able to learn from all you masters out there.*

******* I certainly understand your concern but should the rest of us have to wait for

******* the ones that don't have a boat, to get one? :confused:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 01:32:13 PM

scarletbison wrote:dwhatty wrote:
*Now that wouldn't be fair. *How would those of us who don't have a boat but are working towards one, be able to learn from all you masters out there. *Sometimes as almost all of you have pointed out, Life gets in the way and you can't get boating for a period of days, months or years. *It is forums like this that keep the spirit alive.

*Fiction is okay too.

dwhatty wrote:*Fiction is okay too.
******** There you go! Problem solved!

******* Not only do These IG guys have a good eye for great boats....they are very witty too!

******* :clap:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 04:25:37 PM

SeaHorse II wrote:
******* Not only do These IG guys have a good eye for great boats....they are very witty too!

*Yeah, and objective, too.
disbelief.gif

with that title I was expecting something bad to happen!* I am so glad it was all good times!* We will be arriving*at Delta Bay Marina / aka Brannan Isle Marina on Sunday.* We will be up there every weekend in July so we will look for you.* I want to try out the food at Riverboat.

Moonstruck wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

*Yeah, and objective, too.
disbelief.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
download.spark

Moonstruck wrote:* * * * * * * * * * * * *
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
download.spark

*Good one Don!* LOL

Pineapple Girl wrote:
with that title I was expecting something bad to happen!* I am so glad it was all good times! *

That is kinda why we decided to go the trawler route. *It always seems that sailboaters have all of these harrowing stories about their trips. *I guess because there is so much crap that can go wrong with all that ****-on-a-stick. *Trawler folks just motor along. *I guess the downfall is that you don't have as many war stories. *
smile.gif

Baker wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
with that title I was expecting something bad to happen!* I am so glad it was all good times! *

That is kinda why we decided to go the trawler route. *It always seems that sailboaters have all of these harrowing stories about their trips. *I guess because there is so much crap that can go wrong with all that ****-on-a-stick. *Trawler folks just motor along. *I guess the downfall is that you don't have as many war stories. *
smile.gif

nothing like being woken up at 3 in the morning by chaos on deck as the crew on watch dumped the spinnaker overboard when they tried to douse it and they are now dragging it under the keel, back into the cockpit and shoving it down the companionway for ME to do something with.* LOL and of course this is the same spinnaker we had spent 2 hours repairing early the same day!* Ah yes, good times.* can't say I miss the sailboat.*

Yes, you really have to have had a yacht to really understand just how sweet it is to just leap on, turn a key, drop lines and go...in any direction, virtually any time of the tide, and with the wind direction usually irrelevant, rain, hail or shine, so to speak. Sure, there are times in a sail boat that you think back on as an absolutely sublime passage...wind at a perfect angle, swishing along, the sailing humming, perfectly trimmed, tell-tales flowing beautifully, no engine noise...but they are kinda like your best golf shots...you know, the ones which occasionally connect perfectly and fly straight and true right next to the hole...few and far between....

I stumbled upon this old thread while searching for an old post referencing TV mounts. Thought it might be fun to resurrect for others to share their pics/videos and stories of fun memorable moments aboard.

So many threads deal with repairs, failures and challenges onboard. Here's one for the fun times.

I needed that right now.

We need more of these kinda posts! Much better than Anchors, Guns, Politics and so on.

Cant wait to get back to the boat and shave off again ourselves!

Cheers

Me too!! Hoping for an early Spring!! :thumb:

3904.jpeg

Although it is a lot more tolerable in South Florida. Almost time to cruise to Fort Pierce for TFR.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom