Good boats for a fat guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayfarer

Guru
Vessel Name
Sylphide
Vessel Make
Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Ahoy Meaties,

I’ve been looking at boats again lately. I’ve found that many are just too small and cramped for me, or rather, I’m too big for them.

I was aboard a Mainship 390 a few days ago, and had to turn sideways and really squeeze to get into the head and guest stateroom. I only just fit through the shower door.

I’ve felt the same way aboard every Grand Banks 36 and 42 I’ve been aboard. Those side doors would have me stubbing my toes and hitting my head every time.

I do realize that losing weight would literally solve 98.549% of all problems I have with this, and in fact the rest of my life, but I haven’t managed to do that yet. I will, but I haven’t yet.

I don’t want this thread to turn into weight loss advice. Rather, I’m wondering if there are any boats out there in the 39-45’ range that are more open and big guy friendly. Boats that don’t feel like they’ve done all they can to shoehorn as many amenities as possible into the space, comfort be damned.

Any thoughts?

Ahoy Meaties,

I’ve been looking at boats again lately. I’ve found that many are just too small and cramped for me, or rather, I’m too big for them.

I was aboard a Mainship 390 a few days ago, and had to turn sideways and really squeeze to get into the head and guest stateroom. I only just fit through the shower door.

I’ve felt the same way aboard every Grand Banks 36 and 42 I’ve been aboard. Those side doors would have me stubbing my toes and hitting my head every time.

I do realize that losing weight would literally solve 98.549% of all problems I have with this, and in fact the rest of my life, but I haven’t managed to do that yet. I will, but I haven’t yet.

I don’t want this thread to turn into weight loss advice. Rather, I’m wondering if there are any boats out there in the 39-45’ range that are more open and big guy friendly. Boats that don’t feel like they’ve done all they can to shoehorn as many amenities as possible into the space, comfort be damned.

Any thoughts?

The answer to your query is buy a houseboat. Many large boaters in KY, MO, OH enjoy the heck out of these vessels.

NOT a Navigator. Even at 6'x250#, our shower is still too small. Washing my feet is more of an act of faith. The rest of the boat is ok-ish. Big rear door (see below), high ceilings, and wide hallways. They just have small bathrooms and showers (especially).

Look out for some of the old trawlers with the sliding side doors too. That is one of the reasons we sold our last boat. We wanted a full-size door for me to get in and out easily. Stepping into that boat was really just a controlled fall. The new boat has a full sliding cockpit door.

A Tollycraft might be a poor choice too. Small side doors and a sorta step-down hatch from the sundeck.

Californians are similar to the Tollys except your "pinch point" is going to be the wing doors off the aft sundeck moving forward. Them things be SKINNY!

Good luck.

Last edited:
At 6'4" and 275# I'm happy with our Bluewater 39 RPH.

Tator

The answer to your query is buy a houseboat. Many large boaters in KY, MO, OH enjoy the heck out of these vessels.

My knee jerk reaction was ‘meh... they’re ugly. I don’t want a houseboat...’ but then I thought, ‘screw it, I’ve never even looked at one. Why not have a peek.’

Within seconds, I found a boat that has everything on my wish list. It’s ugly, and is completely balsa cored, but otherwise it’s perfect.

Definitely worth further research. Thanks for the tip!

NOT a Navigator. Even at 6'x250#, our shower is still too small. Washing my feet is more of an act of faith. The rest of the boat is ok-ish. Big rear door (see below), high ceilings, and wide hallways. They just have small bathrooms and showers (especially).

Look out for some of the old trawlers with the sliding side doors too. That is one of the reasons we sold our last boat. We wanted a full-size door for me to get in and out easily. Stepping into that boat was really just a controlled fall. The new boat has a full sliding cockpit door.

A Tollycraft might be a poor choice too. Small side doors and a sorta step-down hatch from the sundeck.

Californians are similar to the Tollys except your "pinch point" is going to be the wing doors off the aft sundeck moving forward. Them things be SKINNY!

Good luck.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s had issues with this sort of thing. It seems like even the svelte among us must be bothered by some of these skinny boats from time to time.

This is all good information, thank you!

Six-three and 280 lbs. w/bad knees. Size matters! And good luck. Our '84 FuHwa Europa-styled sedan is pretty good mostly. The shower is a laugh, and I barely fit through the various doors below.

At 5 11 and 270 I have license.. Portland Pudgy?

My Present is good.. EXCLUDING the engine room.

A list of desirable features would be a single deck, no ladders and as few stairs as possible. A walk around queen berth would be good to have as well as looking for good access to the head. I am not so sure you should be worried about the shower: most marina showers are pretty decent and all are much larger than any boat might have. Wide side decks with solid hand holds if railings are lacking, etc. much of this would make any size boater happier IMHO!

I think the boat suggestions would also need to make sure there is ample access to the engine(s) and generator (if equipped). Some boats seem to have access only for little people.

Jim

I think the boat suggestions would also need to make sure there is ample access to the engine(s) and generator (if equipped). Some boats seem to have access only for little people.

Jim

That sir... is a VERY good point!

Defever 44 would be a perfect choice IMHO.

I’ve been coveting these a lot lately. I’ve never been aboard one, but I’d really like to check one out. That engine room is no joke.

At 5 11 and 270 I have license.. Portland Pudgy?

My Present is good.. EXCLUDING the engine room.

How about a Fatty Knees?? Lol

A list of desirable features would be a single deck, no ladders and as few stairs as possible. A walk around queen berth would be good to have as well as looking for good access to the head. I am not so sure you should be worried about the shower: most marina showers are pretty decent and all are much larger than any boat might have. Wide side decks with solid hand holds if railings are lacking, etc. much of this would make any size boater happier IMHO!

A decent separate shower is on my must have list. I want to be able to anchor out for extended periods and not have to rely on shoreside facilities for that.

We met some folks a few years ago on an Eagle 40. They weren't small by any means and got around the boat pretty good. They loved it. We checked out the interior and I remember it feeling "open" for a boat of that size.

https://www.passagemaker.com/cruise...eat-under-the-radar-option-for-trawler-owners

2004 Eagle Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I agree. I’ve been aboard one of these, and I really liked the layout. I definitely prefer the raised pilothouse setup.

Wayfarer, 6'4" huh, but what's widest girth?

I'm not even 5'8" yet I hit my head entering a friend"s GB42 if forgetting to duck.

RT. Ur cold.

I might suggest a Minnesota built Bluewater. Lots of room like a houseboat and most things are on one level. The best part is that they don't quite look like a houseboat.

Wayfarer, 6'4" huh, but what's widest girth?

I'm not even 5'8" yet I hit my head entering a friend"s GB42 if forgetting to duck.

Oh heavens no, I’m only 5’10. It’s the width that’s the issue. I’m thicker than a bowl of oatmeal... lol

Greetings,
Mr. W. I don't think you've mentioned WHERE you will be boating and WHAT your budget is, unless I've missed it. That will certainly be one factor in your selection of a suitable vessel. Sorry about the gravy boat dig but, I speak from experience.
Mr. Mule. Nothing worse than cold gravy...Just sayin'.

I might suggest a Minnesota built Bluewater. Lots of room like a houseboat and most things are on one level. The best part is that they don't quite look like a houseboat.

Those are relatively common around here since they were built in Mora, Minnesota next door until they closed up in the early 2000's. We have a big one at our marina, very nice. Some of the earlier Bluewaters were very "houseboaty" or tubby looking but some were more seaworthy (relatively speaking), kind of a houseboat/"real boat" hybrid. I think the one at our marina is a late 1990's Bluewater 543. My wife loves the look of them. We have some very stiff winds and chop and Midwest thunderstorms and it seems to handle pretty well. You'd think something that big would get shoved around by side winds but the owner nails it back into his slip very well on windy days. Actually our tennis shoe semi-displacement Mainship gets pushed around worse, although he's significantly bigger and heavier.

Hello all, longtime lurker here, "Gravy Boat" was suggested as a name for our future boat by a relative...nixed by the Admiral!

Great Harbor N-37 & N-47 for space, even in engine rooms. Our KK Manatee is next, but shower and ER are tighter than GH’s. I’m 6’1” & 250, no issue for me.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. W. I don't think you've mentioned WHERE you will be boating and WHAT your budget is, unless I've missed it. That will certainly be one factor in your selection of a suitable vessel. Sorry about the gravy boat dig but, I speak from experience.
Mr. Mule. Nothing worse than cold gravy...Just sayin'.

No harm done! I got a good chuckle out of it. I wouldn’t start a thread like this if I couldn’t take a joke :) If you can’t laugh at yourself, what can you laugh at, right?

I’m not too sure on the budget just yet. I’m still a year or two out, and I have a few too many spinning plates in the air at the moment to know for sure. I’m estimating a max budget of 200k at the moment.

Cruising grounds would be east coast snowbird standard. Summers in Upstate NY, Great Lakes, st Lawrence, Canadian Maritimes etc. Winters south of Virginia, maybe the keys, maybe the Bahamas, maybe something different every year. I’d most likely stick to the ICW, but would like the option to make ocean passages in good weather.

A major consideration would be ease of single handing. I’ll be on my own for a lot of it, so I want to be able to get from the helm to a position where I can handle lines relatively quickly and safely.

Hello all, longtime lurker here, "Gravy Boat" was suggested as a name for our future boat by a relative...nixed by the Admiral!

I kinda like it actually... congrats on the first post!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom