How do you handle/prevent seasickness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the USCG found out, there are remedies that get you from getting or over seasickness, but the effects are the same as being intoxicated while boating.

A seasick crewman or captain or one on some of the remedies is no better than an intoxicated one...so all the no drinking aboard types need to evaluate this in their little captains log.

i remember as a kid my dad had a barbers chair in the shop, we would spin ourselves around so fast for so long we would fly right past the "getting dizzy" stage and spray the walls....sick as damn dawgs and swore never to do that again..... until next time anyway, lol

but we figured out you could adjust the speed or time or both to stay below the sick threshold
now years later and a little better educated then a 10y/o i know it was inner ear stuff causing the dizziness and nausea

so, to get to the point, i think the before mentioned "facing the roll" carries a lot of weight and would be curious to hear from others who find it effective....

back in the heavy drinking days if i got home and collapsed on the bed and the room started spinning i would just put a foot down on the floor, 95% of the time that would solve any issues

...One trip on the local ferry to Kangaroo island, I knew we were in for a rough ride when they chained down all the vehicles. Sure enough, we got hit with HUGE swells. Of the 200 passengers on board, I'd estimate that 195 were sick, - everywhere. My wife and I weren't sick, but the smell and sight of everyone else losing their lunch, certainly made me lose my appetite.
We took the car across once,enjoyed a good coffee and pastry onboard,and came very close to regretting the breakfast.
We took the fast ferry from Seattle to Vancouver Island, those "experienced cruisers" onboard who declined crew advice to dose up definitely regretted it.

I made a passage from Oakland to Inchon in a MSTS transport with 1200 soldiers. First 15 days seas were like glass; not a sign of mal de mer, then we passed a couple days behind a typhoon. Sunny weather, but a long awkward swell that disabled at least a thousand of my shipmates. Berth decks uninhabitable; puke slicked surfaces, bunks full of half-dead doggies.

But the chow lines were real short.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom