Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #49
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Agreed, but bad stuff often happens well ahead of approaching storms and the speed of the storm centre is not so indicative of when the nasty stuff hits., large seas/swells also precede the main storm itself However the example given of a storm approaching from ahead is very valid, just not one as a long term sailboat man that I considered. As a Brit having spent most of my time on rag and stick boats in European Atlantic, Biscay and English Channel) waters when I think 'storm' I think storm 'system'. like an incoming depression with it's associated fronts rather than what I call a thunderstorm or squall line one often local . Our new boat is actually capable of up to 30kts WOT and 25kts cruise but may nevertheless be run long periods at pure displacement speed too, like 7-8kts. We enjoy the journey itself as well as the post arrival
Agreed on all. Especially ref to my hurricane remark....which is why I qualified it as mostly a joke. While a storm center may move at 7 knots, the bands around a hurricane are hauling ass!!!

And yes, my reference was mostly to inland and coastal cruising as most people will not be doing open ocean passages in a planing powerboat. ANd when I say "open ocean" I mean one where the crew is watching a "storm system" DAYS in adavance and coming up with a strategy. And mostly that strategy does not involve the (adjustment of the)speed at which you are traveling.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote