San Juan's in March?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Some plans have changed and I find myself with the opportunity to pull a quick 5 day charter at the end of March. Obviously not the ideal time to cruise, but I'm curious what conditions might be like at that time. I'm Minnesotan and cruise Lake Superior late into the fall so chilly and rainy isn't a problem for me. But if I'm just going to be paying to wait out more significant storms the whole time, I'll reconsider.

Thanks for the info.
BD

Roll the dice on March weather here. Could be nice early spring weather, or wet and blowing. No telling what weather you'd have. I think it snowed last March in NW Washington.

If you are staying the San Juans and I assume sailing out of Anacortes, then the only biggish water you have to cross is Rosario Strait. The rest of the time you can stay in relatively protected waters.

Count on the weather to be wet, cool, and windy. OTOH, you could have some very nice spring weather.

Some plans have changed and I find myself with the opportunity to pull a quick 5 day charter at the end of March. Obviously not the ideal time to cruise, but I'm curious what conditions might be like at that time. I'm Minnesotan and cruise Lake Superior late into the fall so chilly and rainy isn't a problem for me. But if I'm just going to be paying to wait out more significant storms the whole time, I'll reconsider.

Thanks for the info.
BD

We have cruised year round from Vancouver since the mid 70s. We occasionally went across Georgia Straight in the winter, but were always prepared to abort if the weather wasn't to our liking. Conditions are more reliable from Easter on than earlier. Much more reliable after the May long weekend. Since retiring, I annually bring my boat from Vancouver to Saltspring before May 1, but not before April 1. There is a big improvement in the reliability of the weather during the month of April.

If I were to book a cruise for the end of March, I would wait until there was a long range forecast showing favourable conditions.

Even if the weather is not perfect, the lack of crowds makes that time of year attractive. Get a boat with a good heater and enclosures up top.

I recommend you go in March. You will have the place to yourselves and have a ball. The busy-in-the-summer marinas and parks will be EMPTY! Chances are you will get at least a few nice days, and if not the waters are protected if it's blowy. The cold here will be NOTHING like the wind off Lake Superior in June (we have done this).

I will be happy to chat about some destinations if you wish, though there are far more seasoned with the San Juans on the forum.

BTW, we just got back from Friday Harbor. It was delightfully quiet!

Best Wishes

If your plans include staying at the state parks docks, keep in mind many won't be in place until mid April. But you can still anchor out or tie to a buoy.

So far this year we have more than usual wind storms. But you just need a 1-2 hour window to get into the islands if you are leaving from Anacortes or Bellingham.

The problem with March is that you will have a schedule by definition. Locals have traditionally gotten some fantastic days at that time of year, but maybe we forget that those occasions come about when they present themselves. I have gotten the snot kicked out of me in winter and sometimes spring, and try to find a protected passage when the wind whips around to the North. Rosario can be no picnick if it wants and I've seen 5 footers too many times even in Guemes channel with ferrys taking green water onto the car deck. The weather is just unstable this time of year. Nobody can tell you what your going to get until 24 hours before hand and even then.

Hey, decent chance you can make a trip out of it. Very typical time of year I'll have solid rain up from Seattle area and then Anacortes and the San Juans will be clear, as there is a often a rain shadow. I'd be game to try myself, but have a hard time recommending to a charter this time of year. If the weather changes quickly, will you know what anchorages are protected from the South, or which ones work if it veers around to the North? What about landing at a dock in strong wind and current both. A lot can go on around here in the unstable months and it usually takes some conditioning to the noaa forecasts or you might never leave the dock.

Just be forewarned. It's not a slam dunk. It can also be some of the most beautiful days too and absolutely quiet, but it comes with risk.

Wow, great feedback (as always)!

I have chartered up there twice before, so while I'm not super experienced with the area, I do have a good sense for where things are, what some options are, what the travel times are like, etc. The other advantage of that is I don't feel like I have to push my luck just to see some place or another. I've seen most of it.

In this case we would be chartering a 29 Ranger Tug out of AYC. We have chartered a sistership from the same place before and find the boat extremely easy to handle (bow and stern thrusters help). The inside helm and diesel heater I think should make the time at the wheel comfortable.

The info about the park docks - I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to look at how that impacts us. We will have a dinghy so maybe not all that much, but I'll have to put more thought into it.

In charter in general you always have a schedule. Because of that we'll have to be extra attentive to weather forecasts and not take any chances. Based on this input I think I'm going to keep it on the table and start to plan a little. The cold and rain don't bother me and we've even had snow falling on us on the Mississippi River before. Maybe I'll look at the trip cancellation insurance too.

Thanks all! Any more advice is certainly welcomed.
BD

Here is a run down on the docks:

James Island- no dock in winter
Jones Island - no dock in winter
Fossil Bay - no inner dock but outer dock is left in place
Prevost Harbor dock left in place
Reid Harbor dock left in place
Garrison Bay- dingy dock left in place
Matia Island no dock in winter
The remainder of the parks have no docks
The marina's , both public and private, are located in protected waters for the most part so their docks remain in place.

BD,

Let us know what the dates are, we may be able to meet up for a day or two.

Bob

Sorry - missed that posting. Our dates will be March 22-26. We'll be locking down our plans one way or the other next week.

This will just be my brother and I - a celebration of his 50th. It would be great to meet up!

If we were not obligated that weekend I would suggest a small TF meet-and-greet in the San Juans. Bummer for us - maybe good for everyone else.

Quick Update for anyone interested:
Tomorrow is the start of our mini adventure. We hope to be finished with our charter walk through and ready to leave the marina by 3 PM. Forecast calls for wind waves 2ft or less tomorrow, but winds building to 15 to 25 kt after midnight with wind waves 2 to 4 ft. Friday weather should remain the same until late, but the rest of the weekend seems pretty calm.

Our plan is to assess the conditions at Rosario Strait, and assuming they are fine, move quickly towards Friday Harbor. Seems like a good place to base from and I'm not sure I want to be looking for an anchorage late with high winds coming in. Friday we can explore if we're comfortable, and if not, Friday Harbor has bars and restaurants.

Saturday I think we'll try to anchor at Sucia, and Sunday maybe Eastsound (never been there) or Eagle Harbor if we want to be closer to Anacortes. Open to any suggestions from the forum on Sunday! Monday we need to return the boat fairly early and head back to Seattle for our flight home.

I do have one question - What should I expect for battery drain from our Webasto furnace? I've never used one, and with our weather I'm hoping it can get us through the night!

Thanks!
BD

Friday forecast just updated to 30 knots and 3-5 footers. I just realized I should probably post my Website question separately.

I recommend avoiding Eastsound for overnight anchorage as the winds funnel up through there with nothing to stop it. I like Reid Harbor, Deer Harbor, Blind Bay, and Garrison Bay for protection from winds and access to activities onshore.

Bellingham Bay will be a bit frisky as will the crossing to Peavine Pass. Once through there it will calm down. Friday and Roche harbors will be nice as will Garrison. Sucia is nicely protected and a great anchorage. Southbound in Hale Pass will be pretty decent. Springtime boating in the SJI’s is never boring!

Thanks drb. We had discussed Deer Harbor so that's a good choice, and it's good to have other options too. Appreciate the input.
BD

Thanks Bob. I'm hoping the Ranger Tug handles these conditions well. It will certainly be a great learning experience for me, and if I'm not comfortable with the conditions I'll lay low and wait it out. We'll be happy just being on the boat.

Should be a nice trip. The current will change direction in Rosario around the time you will be leaving crossing. If the forecasts hold true you will have an East wind against a South running current. Which on the face of it shouldn’t be bad but Rosario can be surprising.

Maybe a 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip from Anacortes to Friday Harbor? I would sit tight in Friday Harbor on Friday given the forecast. Keep an eye on the currents. You don’t want to be caught out with the current and wind opposing each other.

Thanks drb. We had discussed Deer Harbor so that's a good choice, and it's good to have other options too. Appreciate the input.
BD

Im a big fan of Westsound. Head of the bay has an old style marina and boatyard. The Orcas Yacht Club has an excellent dock which is likely to be available this time of year (open wifi). There is no "village" there, but there is an outstanding restaurant next door to the YC.

Dave, thanks for the advice. I've run a similar sized boat in similar size waves, but on Lake Superior I don't have currents to think about. I'll definitely be keeping them in mind this weekend I can assure you. I'm starting to feel the same way about sticking to Friday Harbor. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Prof, I'll look into that option. I'd like to be well positioned to get back to Anacortes Monday just in case conditions shift. That may be close enough.
BD

Dave, thanks for the advice. I've run a similar sized boat in similar size waves, but on Lake Superior I don't have currents to think about. I'll definitely be keeping them in mind this weekend I can assure you. I'm starting to feel the same way about sticking to Friday Harbor. This is supposed to be fun, right?

I have no idea how experienced you are, so get out your salt shaker.
Dave is an experienced sailor, the real thing, with a couple of good seasons on his trawler under his belt. Take heed of his advice over that of folks from away.
My own experience is on the Canadian side. Wind against current while heading south towards Victoria had my boat in the roughest conditions I have ever been in with that boat. It can surprise you.

The Great Lakes have steep waves as well so you are used to those. Just keep in mind that what you might expect from 15 knots of wind on the Lake is a lot different if that wind is going against a 1-3 knots current.

A handy website for currents and tides for that area is http://www.deepzoom.com

Dial in the day and time and see the predicted currents. Then compared that to the forecast wind on something like windy.com

Webasto

BD,

We run the Webasto (45,000BTU unit) all night. We secure the gen around 9pm and turn the thermostats down to the low 60's - so it runs infrequently. There is still plenty of juice in the morning. Clearly the size of the furnace and battery bank on the Ranger may provide different results. The charter outfit should know the answer. It is a great question.

Friday Harbor - Vinny's has wonderful Italian, make a reservation (360-378-1934). If you have a day there, rent a car from the used car lot up the main drag on the left (reasonable). Taking a lap of the island is great fun - alpacas, lighthouses, beautiful vistas.

Hope you have a great weekend!

You will want to beat feet tomorrow to get across Rosario, even though the stronger wind won’t come until,the afternoon it might not come as late as you expect. Sun still sets early and the warmest part of the day before cooling takes over means the wind build may be earlier than you hope. I’d plan for a solid 3 foot on your crossing to Thatcher. Just make a straight shot and go. If it’s already building, you can sneak up north past Eagle harbor and then turn west across the top end and through, but if you really get out by three it might be quicker to head straight to Thatcher. Once you are in it, keep going.

Once across, I’d certainly plan for Friday harbor. Sounds like Friday is going to be lively and sitting in an anchorage tending and bouncing is no fun. If for some reason you need to bail somewhere Thursday after making it through Thatcher your best options are Hunter Bay or Blind Bay, both good holding with South protection. For Hunter, go to the head of the bay and anchor just to the right of the beach in front of the rock face. For Blind Bay, watch the entrance, then alllllll the way up to the head of the bay, left of the floating dock and again all the way up until you get to about ten feet of water. Wind will come over the low of the island, but you won’t get any bounce and holding is trustworthy.

I’d consider Rosario for Sat or Sun and take a short ride to town.

If you don’t think you want to play wave runner Thurs or get a late start, just go to laconner for Fri. Try to hit within an hour of slack to doc, or just make sure the pointy end is into the current as you land, never land stern to current as the current does not play around when running. You could even move just inside of Deception of Fri with enough protection and tie up to docks at Cornet Bay. You won’t want to go through Deception until the wind dies as Southern Rosario has no protection and worse current overhangs in the wrong conditions. But...quick shot to San Juan’s when favorable. Deer Harbor this time of year is deserted, I’d rather just go to Reid and tie to park docks, but make sure your doors are shut after dark to not pick up extra non paying passengers.

Assume you already are aware, you won’t want to cross Rosario in 4-5’s, it’s no fun at all. Three won’t be fun, but you can just shoulder in and take it for the slow hour it will take.

Most important good news is that winds are stable from s to sw. That usually means enough stability to actually believe most predictions. Note one veer to West. If the wind forecast looks good at 5-15, but the direction starts to change to something other than s or sw, start to pay attention. Forecasts should usually be out by 9am, 11am, 3pm +- hourish. If for some reason they are not out, start paying attention again, another indication the forecast difficulty is going up and more unstable conditions. Late forecast and wind shift, start heading closer to home. North wind, go home.

Small craft advisory now. Looks like we may be staying in Anacortes tonight!

Great advice guys, things I could never know on my own. Thank you so much!

Go get tied up at cap sante and don’t let them put you way out on the end. Huge docks, big fairways, but lots of wind exposure so find help with lines. Advantage is easy walking distance downtown. Worst case scenario, it will take you days to truly break in “the brown” (Brown Lantern). Followed by the Rockfish, Adrift and the Anthony’s right at the Marina is good people watching. Tell ya the truth, I spend quite a few weekends in Anacortes going nowhere. Love the lack of hordes of people and I kind of enjoy our winter/spring rainy breezy weather. With a car...I’d definitely cruise down to Deception Pass, especially in a storm. Maybe down to Langley on Whidbey(order slices of Neopolitan pizza). Just before sunset, take a ten minute cruise up to Mt. Erie and get the best panoramic view around Anacortes.

Don’t discount a Friday walk on ferry ride to Friday Harbor either.

But for tonight, remember it’s open mic at the Brown starting 8:30, might want to get there early to get a seat. If you forget where you parked your boat, go across the street, stay at the Majestic and form a search party in the morning.

Some great suggestions! I'm also considering swinging through Banana Boats to see if there's anything that I can't live without. Deception Pass sounds like a great idea from the car. It will be fun regardless. Thanks for the great ideas.
BD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom