Australians eat weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I just had dinner with a group that included a very nice Australian lady. She made me put beets on my hamburger. Actually wasn’t too bad.

She told me of another food called a pie floater. This is apparently a meat pie turned upside down in a bowl of pea soup.

Oh yeah, she called ketchup “tomato sauce” and “dead horse”.

Is this stuff real or is she pulling my leg? She is from Adelaide.

All real. Basically only Adelaide/South Australia does the pie thing, and most folks I know would never do that. Rhyming slang like dead horse is not as common now as it used to be. Good to see you are getting an education!:)

"With the lot" also includes an egg.

Yes all bog standard, you'll see and hear far weirder than that if you visit, especially among older country blokes.

We Yanks are the weird ones BTW. :cool:

The pie in soup sounds kind of good to me. Here in Miami the Cubans make some tasty meat pies. I’ll get a can of pea soup and try it.

"With the lot" also includes an egg.

Yes all bog standard, you'll see and hear far weirder than that if you visit, especially among older country blokes.

We Yanks are the weird ones BTW. :cool:

Yes she mentioned egg and bacon on the burger. “With the lot”, I’ll remember that if I ever get over there.

I bet she'll make you one, if you ask real nicely :cool:

Need a big pile of greasy chips (thick-cut cottage fries to you) wrapped up in newspaper and doused in vinegar with it.

Actually I'm told they had to stop poisoning customers with the ink, went to proper paper in recent decades.

I just had dinner with a group that included a very nice Australian lady. She made me put beets on my hamburger. Actually wasn’t too bad.

She told me of another food called a pie floater. This is apparently a meat pie turned upside down in a bowl of pea soup.

Did she mention Vegemite at all? Vegemite on toast with a coffee for breakfast is an iconic Aussie way to start the day for many of us..

I’m told it “puts a rose in every cheek”. I understand that to be four cheeks per person. I had to listen to the whole song.
The Koala’s nose is brown from eating Vegemite.
She wants to know what part of Brisbane you’re in.
Curse you George.

Marmite is so much better.

But just a scrape!

I sent both back home everyone freaked out yechhh

Found out they'd spread it like peanut butter, ROFL!

(PBJs, talk about weird!)

AndyG, as I told the nice lady, Australians are nuts.

...and macadamias are Australian nuts...

th

I lived in Brisbane for three years in late 80's early 90's, yeah had quite a few funny stories/situations, lol.

Had my dog's belly ripped open by a roo, then she held him under in the dam til he drowned.

Bit in the butt by redbacks going to the loo.

Koalas can make a terrifying noise middle of the night camping in the woods.

But yeah, plenty fun stories too :cool:

I’m told it “puts a rose in every cheek”. I understand that to be four cheeks per person. I had to listen to the whole song.
The Koala’s nose is brown from eating Vegemite.
She wants to know what part of Brisbane you’re in.
Curse you George.
I live in a suburb down by Moreton Bay - Birkdale.

Mmmmmmm. You can’t beat a good pie floater at 2:00am after a big night out. It’s an Adelaide tradition.

Mmmmmmm. You can’t beat a good pie floater at 2:00am after a big night out. It’s an Adelaide tradition.
In Sydney, it`s "Harry`s Cafe De Wheels" in Wooloomooloo. Surely the 2am pie floater has been replaced by the doner kebab.Later when you "chunder"* you can blame the pie/kebab, rather than the copious amount of alcohol consumed.
*["Chunder" Australian usage word, claimed by Barry Humphries to be an abbreviation of "watch under", a phrase said to be used by the seasick on early sailing ships voyaging to Australia from England, as a warning to those on lower decks of impending vomit from above.]

Never heard it called a floater. Guys I worked with, for morning "brekkie" would peel the top back on a vendor food truck meat pie, fill it with peas and ketchup, called it "meat pie with mushy peas and red sauce". Then after work it was down to the club for shots of Bundy and stubbies of XXXX

Pickled beetroot on a real burger is common. A real burger is anything NOT from Maccas,Hungry Jacks, etc, limp excuses for burgers.
According to the label,Tomato sauce is 80% tomato. Don`t ask about the other 20%(? water, spices, sugar, salt salt salt).
What is the origin of "ketchup". Lots of towns in Western Australia end in "up". What`s a "ketch", apart from a sailing boat?

Malaysian kicap (pron. "kichap", also spelled kecap, ketjap)

In Indonesian cuisine kecap

refers to fermented savory "fish sauce"

Malaysian kicap (pron. "kichap", also spelled kecap, ketjap)

In Indonesian cuisine kecap

refers to fermented savory "fish sauce"
Essentially a soy sauce. No tomato component. Don`t think that answers the origin of "ketchup".
Asian fish sauces are "an acquired taste" imo, often used in place of salt.Too much in Thai dishes and the rotten fish smell makes me feel like throwing up. Anchovies are used to add flavor and salt,mysteriously the "fishiness" disappears into the cooking.

In my opinion, Australia's greatest contribution to world culture is the drive-through liquor store.
And she's right about beet slices on burgers. Asking for a slice of tomato instead will get you lots of very strange looks.

Baked beans at breakfast , I did like that.
Vegamite or marmite on some good bread for lunch, liked that too!
Grilled beef (brai) for dinner, there was good Italian and Chinese food too at least in Queensland where I was.

The southern cities have the best international mix of truly fine dining of any city I've lived in, Paris London NYC LA SF included.

And very reasonably priced, comparatively speaking.

Disclosure: we live in Adelaide!
But - we leave on Tuesday for Fort Lauderdale to find our Loop boat and now I find out you don't put beet(root) on hamburgers...I must check if my travel insurance will cover flight cancellations because of that...it's an Aussie insurer so should be ok...
Oh, and it's quite thick pea soup..

Parks, get hold of yourself. You eat in places like this, and say other peoples' diets are wierd?:confused:

Located in the beautifully restored Fellsmere Estates Building, Marsh Landing offers a truly unique dining experience. Frog legs, catfish and gator tail, fried green tomatoes and swamp cabbage are a few of the local specialties you can find at Marsh Landing.

Last edited:
Disclosure: we live in Adelaide!
But - we leave on Tuesday for Fort Lauderdale to find our Loop boat and now I find out you don't put beet(root) on hamburgers...I must check if my travel insurance will cover flight cancellations because of that...it's an Aussie insurer so should be ok...
Oh, and it's quite thick pea soup..

An insurance claim for that I think is fair- don`t forget you are heading to a country where McDonalds brainwashed the population into believing a slice of pickle on a hamburger was the go. They brought it over here - I reckon if someone did a count of discarded pickles in McDonald bins it would equal exactly the number of burgers sold. Ditch the pickle - put on the beet:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom