Help Storm Damage - Need handrails and swim platform for 44MT Tri Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moondance

Veteran Member
My MT 44 got into a bit of trouble in a windstorm. Snapped two cleats and broke loose. Did some damage to a nearby vessel and the handrails and swim platform got damaged.

I also have to come up for an idea for new cleats as I don't think I'd ever find copies of the original.'

I am located in Montauk, NY. Not an easy place to get to or find a marine carpenter.
(14'beam) and cleats.

Also: anyone know how to measure the angle of the transom?

Thanks

saltrap@gmail.com

I measured the angle of the transom on Revel by using a plumb bob and measuring offsets from the string to the boat at a measured vertical interval. I assumed the boat had been blocked level fore and aft, since that's the way it would/should/might have been floating. You could also measure offsets between a vertically-held level, but more hands are required than any of us have.

Then I cheated; I drew the transom section on AutoCAD. Easy-peasy to then use AutoCAD's inquiry command to tell me the angle.

Arithmetically/trigonometrically skilled folks could pretty easily calculate the angle with the dimensions I used to draw the section.

Those of us who have the item pictured below could measure the angle instantly, albeit over a relatively short distance. (I don't see it in the picture; mine has a level built into the protractor.)

Attachments

• Square.jpg
    Square.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I’m curious to what you find for cleats. I have at least 2 that need replacing.

I was thinking about 12" stainless steel cleats. I doh't think I'd ever find replicas of the originals. Not sure if I would have to through bolt through the gunnel.

On my boat there are ss cleats amidships. But they are not through bolted.

I'm looking for the horizontal angle for a possible replacement swim platform.

I have a Wixie digital angle gauge. It is sold for use to measure the angle of a table saw blade but I use it to measure lots of things. You zero it first and then hold it against the thing you want to measure and it tells you the angle.

If your boat is on the hard, don't use anything involving a level unless your waterline is level (unusual on a hauled boat)
Take a 3-4' straightedge and run it along the waterline and slightly past the transom now record the angle made with a bevel square if you have one or even on a piece of cardboard held against the transom. Take this home and put your protractor against it to get the numbers. Save your cardboard to check your new brackets against.
I can make you any kind of wooden custom grab rails you require. Just sent some to Babylon, NY.

I was thinking about 12" stainless steel cleats. I doh't think I'd ever find replicas of the originals. Not sure if I would have to through bolt through the gunnel.

On my boat there are ss cleats amidships. But they are not through bolted.

I have no cleats amidships just a hawse pipe. My forward hawse cleats are both broken. I had considered through bolting cleats to the deck forward and amidships.

I have no cleats amidships just a hawse pipe. My forward hawse cleats are both broken. I had considered through bolting cleats to the deck forward and amidships.

C&L is from the same mold as MT. My 44 has honking big bronze cleats (10" or more) fwd and aft, through bolted to the deck near the hawse. Amidships about 8" SS cleats on the inside of the bulwarks, just at toe stubbing, sandal strap height. Those, though in a sometimes awkward position, have never shown signs of weakness. They get used all the time for springs, both to the dock and to rafting boats.

Still looking for someone to repair the handrails. Any ship's carpenters on Long Island, East End?

C&L is from the same mold as MT. My 44 has honking big bronze cleats (10" or more) fwd and aft, through bolted to the deck near the hawse. Amidships about 8" SS cleats on the inside of the bulwarks, just at toe stubbing, sandal strap height. Those, though in a sometimes awkward position, have never shown signs of weakness. They get used all the time for springs, both to the dock and to rafting boats.

Thanks for the info. This is probably the route I will go.

Back
Top Bottom