BBQ. LPG or Electric ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FF,
do you use the propane for the reefers only when stationary or while "at sea"
reason i ask is in my rv i had to make sure she was level to properly work, and that was level as the fridge sits, not the rv itself

is all well with a little rockin and rollin or is it electric when out ?

It has been pretty thoroughly documented that the exchange bottles are more expensive per pound of fuel than having a tank refilled. The retailer is trying to keep the price below $20, so you are likely to receive about 15# of gas in an exchange cylinder vs. the full 20# in a refill. The weight difference is obvious if you have access to one of each, a refill and an exchange. In the exchange you also lose on the other end. Unless you run your tank empty, you are turning it in with some propane in the tank. If you decide to exchange when you are "getting low" but not empty, you are giving back fuel you have already paid for.

You can find many articles on this subject. Here is a link to one.

Propane Exchange vs. Refill: Myth Busted - Moving Insider

. Ok, back to Electric vs Gas vs Charcoal.

I have a rail mounted Weber 1200 with stock griddle 1/2 so I can grill or griddle (is that word as a verb?). I really miss low temp smoking of brisket, pork butt and so on. I have a very small iron skillet that I am going to try as a wood chip pan with my Weber with the meat (after a quick All sided braise) to smoke. Perhaps if I torch the chips, that will work.

Two of my dock mates have Traeger Smokers as in the link. Should my attempt be unsuccessful I may go with one of those. I have heard of an electric smoke generator that with the Weber might work. Really, really hard to find proper Fort Worth Texas BBQ here in FL. Near St Pete in Gulf Port there is a place, but that is all I have discovered.

https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/town-travel-portable-series/ptg/TFT17LLA.html

Gaggenau and Miele would be my favorites. Kenyon (220 only) one step behind. Also, Fire Magic and Electri-Chef.e.

Geez!!

What about us Po Folks? For the price of the one of these I could have a helicopter deliver my custom prepared meals.

But thanks because I now know that I should have paid more attention in school. :socool:

Geez!!

What about us Po Folks? For the price of the one of these I could have a helicopter deliver my custom prepared meals.

But thanks because I now know that I should have paid more attention in school. :socool:

I did also mention the T-Fal Optigrill at $120 at Bed Bath and Beyond with 20% off coupon.

The top end electric grills are like top end cooktops and not cheap. Kenyon is the most moderate in price and still around $1000.

SS

You paid attention enough to have a nice boat, so what if you can’t grill steaks. LMAO

It has been pretty thoroughly documented that the exchange bottles are more expensive per pound of fuel than having a tank refilled. ]

I used to agree with you until I had to go through the running around, wasted time and expense of getting out of date bottles recertified.

And let's not forget rust issues with steel tanks which is no longer my problem.

Me too. My three propane bottles last about 3 years, so i never run out.

Most of all, I've never had a steak cooked on an electric grill that was as good as gas.
Iron frying pan for my steaks. Get it smoking hot with high temp oil, drop the steak in to form a crust on both sides, turn down to medium heat, cook to temperature. Add onions to the pan while the meat is cooking. Yum. Try it. You may never go back to grilling a steak.

It has been pretty thoroughly documented that the exchange bottles are more expensive per pound of fuel than having a tank refilled.

In Australia exchange LPG bottles are filled by weight not volume . 8.5kg as volume is 9kg
Its only a matter of another 2 or 3 years till all bulk fill stations will cease due to safety issues .
Even now those employees who are trained to fill bottles are getting fewer and fewer .due to the cost of training and labor

We have propane BBQ and propane range (even though our builder tried to talk us out of it), but electric oven and electric Beni Hana table. Two aluminium propane bottles (main and reserve) in a propane locker. 8 gallons each, as I recall (about 50% taller than the standard / common size). We have never run out of propane. When one bottle is empty, the second bottle will last for about a month of daily use. As for electric, I personally don't think the flavor is as good as flame cooked.
Flame? Radiant heat is what grills best. Charcoal fires cook by radiant heat. Flames heat air. The heated air cooks. Radiant is far better. My opinion, of course.

Gaggenau and Miele would be my favorites. Kenyon (220 only) one step behind. Also, Fire Magic and Electri-Chef.

Now, going to toss one more out for people just grilling for two and only occasionally. T-Fal Optigrill. Beats any Foreman. Use on the kitchen or galley counter easily. Grills steaks or burgers or hot dogs well. Grills pork and chicken well also but not a grilled exterior so I like to then put them in a skillet briefly before serving.

Oh, if you want a good countertop oven, I highly recommend Breville Smart Oven. Don't know how smart it is as I don't use those functions, but have done some incredible Prime Rib in one.
We use an Oster countertop oven, very similar to the Breviile. We have successfully cooked everything from prime ribs to cookies. I even bake terrific baguettes in this oven using a clay covered baker. Yum. The damn thing cost $80 at Costco. 20180116_123031.jpg

Actually I’ve never had a bad steak on the boat anchored out enjoying life. Life is good.

Well bit the bullet and purchased a marine electric BBQ same make and model as my LPG one to go on the fly bridge . Decision was made to go electric as its easy to just plug in no pluming or bottles needed .So is that just BB and I that have 5 or more BBQs on hand :D

What is a good electric grill? I have gas on the boat but on my condo's lanai I am required to use electric. I have the small Weber Q electric and don't like it.

We have a Gaggenau electric grill built into our cockpit.

IMG_7962.jpg

That is not a proper grill. :popcorn:

Have you ever used one? You might be surprised. When it's pouring down rain and you're ready for your steak now, might just find it quite acceptable. Before trying one, I would have agreed with you. Not what we normally use, but it works.

Iron frying pan for my steaks. Get it smoking hot with high temp oil, drop the steak in to form a crust on both sides, turn down to medium heat, cook to temperature. Add onions to the pan while the meat is cooking. Yum. Try it. You may never go back to grilling a steak.

Many chefs would agree with you. A lot start with that and then put the pan and steak into the oven to finish.

I refill and retain my 2 probably OEM bottles supplying the stove, they came with the boat and precisely fit retaining brackets.
Gameco, located in Auburn Sydney,not only refill but also service bottles, as well as supply everything LPG and NG related. If out of the 10 year certification,they test and re-certify, replacing the valve if necessary. A refill is cheaper than a swap,a small bonus.The date of certification is stamped into the bottle.
I refill the bottle for the bbq too,but if it needs re-certifying I use Swap n Go, just got a brand new bottle for one which was out of time, no extra. It doesn`t need to fit a precise retainer system, so a different shape matters less.

Does anyone use the gauge that screws on to the bottle and the hose then screws into it, I’m told it helps not running out of gas?

Looks great, can I get that baguette recipe please.

We do this every few days, ciabatta like and cooked in a cast iron pot

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

, but I do love bagguettes and batards.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/glazed-long-covered-baker

A baker like this. Recipe.

370 grams King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
250 grams of water
1.5 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast

Mix water, yeast, and salt, then add to flour. Add to the flour to yield a dough that is fairly well homogenized. No need to knead. Place dough in a plastic vessel to rise overnight, two nights if you have patience, longer fermentation equals deeper bread flavor. Heat covered baking vessel in oven to 450 degrees. Gently dump dough on cutting board and form into loaf. Carefully place dough into the covered baker and cut slits in the dough with a very sharp knife. The key is to not delate the risen dough. Put the cover on and bake for 30 minutes. Then remove the cover and bake for 10 - 12 minutes uncovered. This will yield a nicely browned loaf with a hard crust and a soft, chewy inside, called the crumb. The bread is ready when the interior reaches 107 - 110 degrees. Best to use a Thermopen instant read thermometer. Simi, are you not an Aussie? If so, for the flour I suggest any UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour.

No lie. I have for 20 years tried many methods and recipes and never had much success until I happened upon this method. The bread is as good as any I have had from any source. The covered baker is not inexpensive but it works. You can find another brand at a website called Breadtopia. That's the one I use. Good luck.

Does anyone use the gauge that screws on to the bottle and the hose then screws into it, I’m told it helps not running out of gas?
No. But we have a 2 bottle set up,both are connected, switch between them by flicking a lever. Ones runs out, we switch bottles, and refill the empty soon as.

I had one, but it did not work as a level gauge. It is really just an empty or not gauge -- won't tell you that you are close to empty (until you are on fumes, literally). The problem is that liquid propane (and cng) will evaporate, thereby expanding and increasing pressure, until the pressure reaches the boiling point (evaporation point) of the liquid. That pressure is the same regardless of how much liquid is in the tank. So, the gauges are pretty much useless.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/glazed-long-covered-baker

No lie. I have for 20 years tried many methods and recipes and never had much success until I happened upon this method. The bread is as good as any I have had from any source. The covered baker is not inexpensive but it works. You can find another brand at a website called Breadtopia. That's the one I use. Good luck.

Thanks for that.
I am pretty fussy about baguettes/banh mi having spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam and New Caledonia and was under the impression that steam was an integral part of the genuine process and its almost impossible to find anything decent in Australia that compares.
I am sure what we make could be no worse than what is sold commercially here and I'll gladly give yours a try, even if it gets close to a bagguette it'll be a win out here.
After all, the bread I linked to is not ciabatta, but ciabatta like so a baguette like, same same but different, will work.

We have a schlemertopf, another version of a glazed clay oven, I'll try that first
Says it works for bread.
https://www.amazon.com/Schlemmertopf-Classic-Glazed-Cooker-Medium/dp/B000XP487I

That's one of the reasons I like my composite tanks, no guessing. See post #57 if you haven't already.

Ted

my propane dealer will certify tanks for free since i am a customer
i got 4 of the smaller 12 pound aluminum tanks from a floor cleaning company (propane buffer tanks) when they moved up to bigger machines w/bigger tanks, and he replaced the blow offs(4 bucks each i think) and re certified the tanks for free, so it might be worth asking if you deal with a distributor ..... aluminum tanks have no set end date as long as there is no physical damage nor corrosion issues, valves of course may need replacing at some point

i use to think waking up to perking coffee was the best smell ever (and i dont even drink coffee,lol) but once i was turned on to home made bread i think that smell is is second only to bacon n onions frying

Thanks for that.
I am pretty fussy about baguettes/banh mi having spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam and New Caledonia and was under the impression that steam was an integral part of the genuine process and its almost impossible to find anything decent in Australia that compares.
I am sure what we make could be no worse than what is sold commercially here and I'll gladly give yours a try, even if it gets close to a bagguette it'll be a win out here.
After all, the bread I linked to is not ciabatta, but ciabatta like so a baguette like, same same but different, will work.

We have a schlemertopf, another version of a glazed clay oven, I'll try that first
Says it works for bread.
https://www.amazon.com/Schlemmertopf-Classic-Glazed-Cooker-Medium/dp/B000XP487I
The covered bakung vessel. Creates its own steam. That's why it works so well.

Ted

I did read that and I think that is a great idea as long as it’s not a problem getting them filled.

Another question, does anyone cook with the mats that seem to be popular today?

Thanks.

Another question, does anyone cook with the mats that seem to be popular today?

Thanks.

Know a couple of boaters that use and really like them. Personally I think the government is behind them to reduce life expectancy and solve the Social Security shortfall issue. Think I'll see if there are health issues in 10 years or so.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom