BBQ. LPG or Electric ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A present I have a LPG BBQ works well but thinking of a second BBQ on the fly bridge :). Whats others though on elect v gas ?

If your generator dies, you will be thankful to have a gas grill.

When ever I get a "Gin Palace " that's on my list till then a real one will do fine

What does that mean?

"generator dies, you will be thankful to have a gas grill."

And if he runs out of propane he will be thankful to have an electric.

When ever I get a "Gin Palace " that's on my list till then a real one will do fine

What does that mean?

"generator dies, you will be thankful to have a gas grill."

And if he runs out of propane he will be thankful to have an electric.

If he runs out of propane and the generator dies, he's in deep trouble if he has to cook something.

I guess that depends on the condition of isolation mounts.
(SORRY, I should have resisted but, I didn't)

how well do the elements hold up after repeated heat cool cycles out in the salt air ?

with propane you can store a couple of the small 1 pound bottles to cook/heat with in emergency

would you permanent mount it or stow it away when done ?

Has anyone put a charcoal smoker on thier boat? I’m thinking about a medium size big green egg, with a custom welded nest for it on the upper deck. I have a propane one for searing so it would only get used for smoking (small fire, limited flames). I have a big open deck away from all flammable things and would put down matting/protection below it.

It’s about number 536 on the list of projects for the boat so not important at this point but thought I’d ask.

Look at a “ Green Mountain”. Dave Crocket is the smallest unit. Runs on 12 volt or 110 with an adaptor. It is a small pellet smoker.
Hold temperature great for 8-10 hours. Has the ability to monitor with your smart phone with their Green Mountain app .
My son has one and smokes briskets, Tri-tips etc.

Ted

Have you had any problems filling a composite tank? It would seem that might be the best choice for weight and visually seeing the amount of Fuel remaining.

Quiet night, perfect water, calm with a beautiful sunset, and I am going to ruin it with a running generator? I think the size of your vessel and how you operate it has a lot to do with your choice. For me it's a no-brainer...

Not sure what you’re referring too?
The Green Mountain has a fairly large bin on the side the pellets are contained and augered into the smoke chamber as needed.
Once you start it , it will smoke unattended for 8-10 hours at least if needed.

Quiet night, perfect water, calm with a beautiful sunset, and I am going to ruin it with a running generator? I think the size of your vessel and how you operate it has a lot to do with your choice. For me it's a no-brainer...

I already run the gen for 30 AM/PM to top up hot water, batteries , and mainly the fridge's so the calm has all ready been disturbed. And come to think of it my gen set is dead quite as it is

Not sure what you’re referring too?
The Green Mountain has a fairly large bin on the side the pellets are contained and augered into the smoke chamber as needed.
Once you start it , it will smoke unattended for 8-10 hours at least if needed.

I looked at the specs... it draws 60 amps. 12 volt

The new generators are quiet, I come back to my dock and shut everything down and switched to dock power only to arrive the next morning to find my generator running.

Guys, no comments please.

At our marina boats use propane/LPG while docked, but I think some marinas may not allow it. At Akuna Bay,for example, I`ve seen electric bbqs used, a boat newly at our marina ex Akuna Bay uses an electric one when docked.
In any event, alternatives are the answer imo. We have an LPG stove but can use an electric frypan if needs be, boil water with an electric kettle, etc. Recently breakfasting early we opted to boil water tea on the stove to make tea, to not disturb the anchorage with the genset.Even waited for espresso coffee until we were back at the marina,how self sacrificing does it get.

I have a diesel stove and my gas bbq makes a good outside oven in warm weather. While I could run an electric bbq with a generator or inverter (and more generator time) I don't think electric makes sense. Currently I only run a generator about an hour every couple days when I make water. Propane is readily avail even though I don't stop at marinas. I have several 5 gallon cans that seem to last months.

In very cold temps, below zero, LPG stored in a non-heated space may not actually work. I guess you would have to wrap the tank in warm cloths to get the gas to flow.
I remember when I worked in northern Alberta, at the lumber mill, when the temp dropped and remained below zero, they had trouble getting the LPG to vaporize for the lumber dying ovens.

Look at a “ Green Mountain”. Dave Crocket is the smallest unit. Runs on 12 volt or 110 with an adaptor. It is a small pellet smoker.
Hold temperature great for 8-10 hours. Has the ability to monitor with your smart phone with their Green Mountain app .
My son has one and smokes briskets, Tri-tips etc.

That’s what I have now, it’s goid but slightly noisy, also not the same flavor, that said it’s way way better than gas.

So for those who advocate propane, how many bottles do you carry and what are the made of?

TIA

We have two 20 pound steel bottles each one lasts us 4 months of cooking , oven and grill. The grill is plumbed into our propane system. It is kind of hard to imagine how we could run out of gas when after the first tank is emptied we have 4 months to refill it. But it does cost us about $16 per tank. So we end up spending $1 per week for all of our cooking including the grill.

I have a Weber 2400 at my river cabin. It cost me a few punches off my man card, but I use it most every night when I'm there. Easy, quick and gets a good sear on the meat. Chicken, steak, burgers, etc. I have had a smaller electric grill without the same results.

Best thing about it is, if I'm cooking for a big group, I can cook on the Egg or the Weber and keep stuff warm on the electric. Like having an outdoor oven.

So for those who advocate propane, how many bottles do you carry and what are the made of?

TIA

4 x 9kg (20lb)
Made of steel

2 connected with changeover tap to oven,cooktop and one to BBQ. A spare on hand.
Lasts around a year in total.

We have a setup here called swap"N"go at most hardware, petrol station, marina and 7/11 stores.
Bottles cost around $20, drop old one off and walk out with a full one, they test and paint old bottles.

Last edited:
Ted

Have you had any problems filling a composite tank? It would seem that might be the best choice for weight and visually seeing the amount of Fuel remaining.
Composite versus aluminum :

Composite has a 15 year life from date of manufacture (then it's a throw away ). Aluminum needs to be pressure tested every 12 years but has no fixed life.

Composite tanks are less likely to mark paint or gelcoat as they have a plastic wrap. Aluminum marks surfaces more easily. When fastened in place, this isn't an issue. For my dinghy fuel it was a big consideration.

Corrosion is a zero issue with composites. Aluminum isn't a big issue, but be careful in damp marine environments if they are in contact with other metals. Aluminum is used for a sacrificial anode.

Composite tanks aren't transparent, but you can see the liquid propane in the tank. It's nice to be able to see how much propane you really have left.

Composite tanks are harder to get filled. Many places won't fill them, some won't fill aluminum. It's not rational, it's just something they aren't use to, so they say no. Haven't been to a city where I couldn't get them filled. I now always call before going there. The more rural the area, the easier it is to get them filled.

Would I buy them again? I don't know. I like them and don't have a problem in my home ports getting them filled. The 15 year life may be an issue for some, but I'll be 70 when they go out, if I haven't gone first.

If you buy one, know how to check the manufacture date so that you don't get a short life tank. See below picture :

2018-02-03 21.49.38.jpg

This tank was made in September of 2013 and expires in September of 2028. Most people who fill these have no idea about the mandatory expiration date or where to look for the date.

Ted

In very cold temps, below zero, LPG stored in a non-heated space may not actually work. I guess you would have to wrap the tank in warm cloths to get the gas to flow.
I remember when I worked in northern Alberta, at the lumber mill, when the temp dropped and remained below zero, they had trouble getting the LPG to vaporize for the lumber dying ovens.
Propane freezes around -45 degrees F. The problem is increased by high flow rates. This isn't an issue if you're using a 20 pound tank on the typical gas grill found on a boat. Might happen at a higher temperature with a one pound propane tank.

Ted

I carry 2 propane bottles, one the steel exchangeable size (20 lb) which can be swapped out just about anywhere Blue Rhino etc. and an aluminum 6 lb refillable one which belongs to me. The 20 lb unit is connected to the stove/ oven in the galley. The Aluminum 6lb is used for the Magma grill which can also run on 1 lb "camper type" cans they can also fuel the Mr Heater heater if needed in (rare) winter cruising.

Last edited:
We get 3-4 weeks from the std "20lb" propane tank.

It runs the range and oven , but the real user is a big fridge and freezer.

Still its under a dollar a day , with no noise , no maint , the reefer is from the 50's or 60's and only requires swoping the bottles to maintain ice cream!

We carry 6 tanks and a folding rolling shopping cart to refill .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom