Why I Drive a Pickup Truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Last night two young girls experimenting with alcohol hit me a glancing blow from behind at 100 MPH. I was going 60 MPH and managed to stay in control and get off on the shoulder. They passed me sideways and rolled the car 2 or 3 times (sparks and fire) before coming to rest upright in the median strip as a couple of 18 wheelers went between us.

2018-02-02 17.58.39.jpg

They peeled the bed of my pickup open like a sardine can. A thousand pounds of scuba tanks and the weight of the pickup was likely what kept me on the road. Probably would have been very different in a compact car. Estimate is 3 weeks to fix my pickup, good as new. Probably won't be giving up the pickup anytime soon.

In case you're wondering, the girls walked away with only scratches. When last I saw them, a very nice FL Hiway Patrol officer was giving them a lift to the police station for a date with Mr Breathalyzer.

On a sad note, the boyfriend of the driver leased the car and is probably going to find out that his insurance won't cover the loss of the car as many insurance companies now have coverage exclusions for authorized drivers in this situation getting a DUI, DWI, or under an illegal drug.

Ted

Last night two young girls experimenting with alcohol hit me a glancing blow from behind at 100 MPH. I was going 60 MPH and managed to stay in control and get off on the shoulder. They passed me sideways and rolled the car 2 or 3 times (sparks and fire) before coming to rest upright in the median strip as a couple of 18 wheelers went between us.

View attachment 72633

They peeled the bed of my pickup open like a sardine can. A thousand pounds of scuba tanks and the weight of the pickup was likely what kept me on the road. Probably would have been very different in a compact car. Estimate is 3 weeks to fix my pickup, good as new. Probably won't be giving up the pickup anytime soon.

In case you're wondering, the girls walked away with only scratches. When last I saw them, a very nice FL Hiway Patrol officer was giving them a lift to the police station for a date with Mr Breathalyzer.

On a sad note, the boyfriend of the driver leased the car and is probably going to find out that his insurance won't cover the loss of the car as many insurance companies now have coverage exclusions for authorized drivers in this situation getting a DUI, DWI, or under an illegal drug.

Ted
Glad you were not injured and same for the vixens. Positive thing they got an express lesson for life.

L

I drive one too, but it only occurred to me afterwards that it was also highly crash-rated. I'm glad to hear there was only bent metal...

Glad you are able to walk away from that. I would bet in a day or three you're going to be very sore.

Funny thing about those "5 Star Crash Ratings". They only are 5 stars if you are hit by a vehicle that is approximately the same size/weight as yours. So if you're driving one of those little cracker box cars and get hit by a pickup, don't count on having your 5 stars protecting you. If you're in a Fiat and get hit by another Fiat, you probably have 5 stars, but what are the odds of that happening.

Ted: Glad you’re ok. The adrenaline settled down yet?

Was more like a woman going through menopause, shock, then anger, and finally tears. All good now.

Ted

Good thing the scuba tanks didn’t get damaged, they can turn into dangerous projectiles if the necks are broken off!
I wonder if there are any regs related to transporting those?

glad everyone is ok. take your truck to a good 4 wheel alignment shop for an alignment and height check as soon as it comes out of the shop. a lot of people find problems later when they go to trade there vehicle in or start having to buy a lot of tires.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom