One anchor or two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
One item on my 'next boat requirements' list has been the ability to carry two anchors on the bow (and two rodes and a windlass configured for that setup). I had assumed that was both a desirable and fairly standard configuration.

As I look it seems that only KK has that setup as a standard part of the design. Nordhavn, DeFever, Selene all primarily seem to be equipped to handled a single anchor.

That surprises me for boats designed to go off the beaten path.

So I guess this capability isn't as desirable as I thought. Or is it?

Our American Tug 435 also came with the two anchor setup standard, with the dual side windlass, and twin anchor lockers.
Fingers-crossed, we have not had an emergency where the 2nd anchor was needed but i'm told it is a good safety measure.

I don't have it. For my purposes I consider it desirable, expensive, and not necessary. Depends on your risk tolerance, cruising grounds, and spare $$$ available.

I'm sure boat builders, as in anything, want to keep costs manageable. So the usual plan would be to furnish an "adequate" anchor as standard, anything else would be an upgrade requested by the buyer. I saw this many times in many parts of a vessel when I was building new boats. Basics standard, everything else optioned out.

No its not very desirable. I have anchored hundreds, maybe a thousand times over 10,000 miles of cruising. I used two anchors off of the bow exactly once and regretted doing it. The wind clocked back and forth and i had a twisted mess at the bow. I did it because the wind was picking up and I wanted to deploy a Fortress in a V to get better holding. I would have done much better if I had just chained the Fortress to my standard Delta. But I took the easy way out so I didn't have to haul up the anchor, rig up the tandem one and reset.

One good anchor, well set is all that you need. Oh and not to start another anchor war, a Rocna that I later purchased does much, much better than the Delta.

There is a case for a bow and stern anchor. I used that exactly once as well. But this was at Catalina Island where the swell is crosswise to the wind and you want to face the swell otherwise you roll badly.

David

We have a twin roller setup but as we use a decent anchor we have no need for a 2nd and couldn't carry it anyway as the main anchor is so big that it is well into where the 2nd anchor would be.
2nd anchor lives down in the anchor locker with rope attached for lifting out.
It would be a major step backwards in performance if we ever had to use it.

Last edited:
One item on my 'next boat requirements' list has been the ability to carry two anchors on the bow (and two rodes and a windlass configured for that setup). I had assumed that was both a desirable and fairly standard configuration.

As I look it seems that only KK has that setup as a standard part of the design. Nordhavn, DeFever, Selene all primarily seem to be equipped to handled a single anchor.

That surprises me for boats designed to go off the beaten path.

I have two anchors on the pulpit. I lowered the “second” anchor about ten years ago to see how much chain was attached to it. Other than that, it only gets wet when it rains!

There are times we deploy a stern anchor in addition to the primary anchor on the bow. However, I have never had the need for a second anchor from the bow.

Notice, for the sake of civil discourse, I have not divulged what type of anchors I have on board...

Last edited:
Some people like duallys in the front so they can match anchor to bottom. Moreso than dropping both at once. But I agree something more portable and not tied to a windlass is desireable both as a spare and for use as a stern or Bahamian moor anchor. In fact I first was taught how to do a Bahamian moor on a Mainship 34 like the OP's, part of a charter club we belonged to. Something like a Fortress is ideal for this type of spare anchor use.

I carry a second anchor (10K Rocna) under a seat in the dinette with a second 400' rode complete with chain, my primary is a 15K Rocna with 600' and chain. I am too far out to not be able to anchor if I lose my primary. I also carry dive gear so I can recover my primary in less than 150' of water, but have never had to.

Once in a while I use the second rode as a shore line, the end of the chain has a large snap hook in it so I can take it ashore and wrap off on chain.

Our Defever is set up for two anchors, but we opted for one large anchor on the bow and a second backup in a locker on the flybridge. I decided that having a larger anchor to use every day was better than two smaller anchors, and likely never using the second one.

Paul

I'd consider two anchors on the bow if my cruising grounds were a combination of hard limestone bottom and soft mud. Fortunately we don't have any muddy where I anchor out so the one suits me fine.
I do often use the second off the stern and I'd consider a stern roller there before adding another on the bow.

I would find dual anchor/ dual gypsy option desirable. Not for the ability to put both anchors out at once but to have different types of anchors ready to go dependent on bottom type. I wouldn't go to the cost and trouble of retrofitting my current setup to a dual setup. It is a want, not a need.

I have always carried two anchors on the bow using one to anchor 99% (the biggest and best one) of the time, the other is Incase i lose the primary or need a Bahamian moore. Another Anchor and rode is carried in the engine room as an emergency anchor.

Our Defever is set up for two anchors, but we opted for one large anchor on the bow and a second backup in a locker on the flybridge. I decided that having a larger anchor to use every day was better than two smaller anchors, and likely never using the second one.

Paul

Paul,
I like that response a lot. For years I've been saying if you're going to add weight to your ground tackle add it to your anchor. Adding 40# to one's rode won't pay very much but imagine adding 40# to the anchor.

And re the thread question I'd say 3 or 4.

No its not very desirable. I have anchored hundreds, maybe a thousand times over 10,000 miles of cruising. I used two anchors off of the bow exactly once and regretted doing it. The wind clocked back and forth and i had a twisted mess at the bow. I did it because the wind was picking up and I wanted to deploy a Fortress in a V to get better holding. I would have done much better if I had just chained the Fortress to my standard Delta. But I took the easy way out so I didn't have to haul up the anchor, rig up the tandem one and reset.

One good anchor, well set is all that you need. Oh and not to start another anchor war, a Rocna that I later purchased does much, much better than the Delta.

There is a case for a bow and stern anchor. I used that exactly once as well. But this was at Catalina Island where the swell is crosswise to the wind and you want to face the swell otherwise you roll badly.

David

We have a twin roller setup but as we use a decent anchor we have no need for a 2nd and couldn't carry it anyway as the main anchor is so big that it is well into where the 2nd anchor would be.
2nd anchor lives down in the anchor locker with rope attached for lifting out.
It would be a major step backwards in performance if we ever had to use it.

Like they said. Most modern multi-bottom performance type anchors (I use a Sarca), render this practice or double anchor set-up superfluous. I would never have used it in 15 years.

If you are lucky enough to have the best anchors, double the anchor for twice the pleasure ?

Our Defever is set up for two anchors, but we opted for one large anchor on the bow and a second backup in a locker on the flybridge. I decided that having a larger anchor to use every day was better than two smaller anchors, and likely never using the second one

Spot-on comment for me as well.:thumb:

Our Mainship 400 has twin rollers on the bow, but they are so close together there is really only room for one anchor.

I carry two anchors, a Rocna (primary) and a Fortress (secondary).

The vast majority of the time I only use one anchor, and for the year that we have had the Rocna I have been very pleased. That said there is one spot, a place we go often, in the Bahamas where I always set two. It is a narrow creek with a shallow sandbar on one side and rocks on the other. There is a strong reversing current there. The holding is good. You generally hang with the tide and there is very little wave action, but strong winds could overpower the current and they could blow across the creek.

I don't use a conventional Bahamian moor there, instead I set the Rocna on the sand side of the creek and the fortress on the rocky side. I set the two anchors as directly across the creek from each other as possible. The boat suspends between and down tide of them. I keep the scope short enough that the sand side anchor would hold us off of the rocks, even if the wind was blowing directly across the creek and the rock side anchor would hold us off the sand if the wind blew from that direction.

It works really well in that situation. It's a variation of the Bahamian moor, I guess, but it limits the swing more than the conventional way while still allowing a decent amount of scope. There is too much current there to set a stern anchor.

I would find dual anchor/ dual gypsy option desirable. Not for the ability to put both anchors out at once but to have different types of anchors ready to go dependent on bottom type. I wouldn't go to the cost and trouble of retrofitting my current setup to a dual setup. It is a want, not a need.

Ditto. And for a faster hot spare in case of losing the first anchor, somehow.

-Chris

I carry two on the bow, and have used two on several occasions.
On one occasion it saved my boat from probable destruction.
I carry 2 different types and have changed them around depending upon cruising grounds/bottom type.
Will never cruise without 2 anchors at the ready.

I wasn't thinking about deploying two anchors simultaneously from the bow but rather having the option of different anchors for different conditions and having a hot-spare if needed.

Maybe with modern anchors two different types aren't needed. Given a variety of potential bottom conditions I don't know that I am convinced of that. But let's not go there.

It does appeal to me to have a second anchor and rode ready to go if needed. Seems as if you need the spare setup you might well need it NOW. I too have stored the secondary anchor and rode in a locker and never used it, but I realized that deploying it in some conditions could be challenging.

I have always taken the position that you only need one anchor, but it has to be the right anchor. For my cruising grounds I have found that a Delta works very well.

I ONCE used two bow anchors. It wasn't so bad, but took forever to get away and I never did it again. The main reason is it's convenient storage for the second anchor. On too many occasions I have had to hump that anchor to the stern.

Although the newer anchor guys claim their anchor is "perfect" for every bottom , many folks prefer the ability to chose between a CQR and a Danforth.

If you like a "perfect universal" anchor , I have a perfect bridge in Brooklyn you should come see.

A second bow anchor could be of use with a nervous boat that veers a lot , or to drop underfoot as a backup when heavy weather is expected.

A genuine stern anchor can be quire small , as it is usually use in a low load situation .

We keep a 12H or 20H Danforth with coiled line on the stern.

It is carried Fwd for ICW work as I hate ideling even if only for 15 min waiting for a bridge .

12lbs is a hand job to recover.

Last edited:
I own a second anchor. I also own a third anchor. Neither one has ever been wet. Neither one is connected to an effective rode. I have a single windlass, capable only of hauling my single rode. The second anchor is too heavy to stow with more than a few feet of chain, as I wouldn't be able to get it out of the bottom of the lazarette and deploy it in a situation. I rely on my primary anchor doing its job, which it does well. The third is stowed with a short length of chain, but is much lighter than the second, so would never see use as a backup. It acts only as additional ballast.
I know some boats are equipped with a winch capable of setting two anchors. If I had one of those, I would carry the second anchor rigged and ready. It still might never get used but at least it would be ready.

Very desireable, IMO. How else can you do a Bahamian moor? What happens if the only anchor breaks free and you are staring down at the lee shore and still looking for the boat keys :facepalm:

What if everyone else at the anchor spot uses two anchors to keep the boats in place during the fireworks show, and it happens to be a tidal spot? :popcorn:

just a few examples that I have had to experience over the years.

granted, you don't HAVE to keep both at the bow at the ready. But, my Admiral got tired of walking up and down the gunnels carrying anchors and chains, and milk baskets of rode.

I view the second Anchor as an insurance policy, hopefully I’ll never use it.

I wasn't thinking about deploying two anchors simultaneously from the bow but rather having the option of different anchors for different conditions and having a hot-spare if needed.

Maybe with modern anchors two different types aren't needed. Given a variety of potential bottom conditions I don't know that I am convinced of that. But let's not go there.

It does appeal to me to have a second anchor and rode ready to go if needed. Seems as if you need the spare setup you might well need it NOW. I too have stored the secondary anchor and rode in a locker and never used it, but I realized that deploying it in some conditions could be challenging.

So have it mounted to a rail at the bow with the rode in a box, bitter end rigged to a cleat. That's what I did though I had the advantage of the "box" being a second rode locker that was OEM.

"I view the second Anchor as an insurance policy, hopefully I’ll never use it."

Good statement! Second or third anchors are a choice each captain has to make based upon his/her own: primary anchor of choice, seabeds used in anchoring, conditions one anchors in or could anchor in, and more. Regardless of what we anchor manufacturers would like the public to believe, there is no one perfect anchor. There are quite a few excellent one's out there of which our Super MAX is one. I am not re-starting an anchor debate.

There are certain seabeds that all high quality anchors perform very well in under a wide range of conditions. If these are the seabeds you anchor in then your primary anchor will be sufficient and the secondary anchor probably never gets wet. If your anchoring preferences take you to more varied seabeds such as rocks and boulders, heavy grasses, very soft ooze, along with the more typical seabeds of mud and sand then you have to decide whether or not your "main bower" will hold you safe in all these seabeds. If not, a "complimentary anchor" that is better at holding in seabeds that your main bower does not may be more valuable.

Full disclosure: I also have a secondary anchor of a different manufacturer on my boat. I have confidence in this anchor but it has never seen the water.

Steve Bedford

I have a plow anchor on my anchor roller and a Danforth in a locker. The only time the danforth has ever been wet was once when I put it on deck, just in case and it rained.

Back
Top Bottom