Anyone going from LA/MS/AL/FL to FL? Buddy boat / Gulf crossing tips welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boater3

Guru
Vessel Make
tbd
Hello TF'ers,

I am going to be moving my boat from Nola to the east coast of Florida in a couple weeks (pushing off Fri Feb 16). Looking for a buddy boat or tips on the Carrabelle to Tarpon (or similar) crossing. I.e. how to check weather to know conditions in the Gulf to know they are good, etc. Can cruise around 20 knots if conditions allow.

Thanks!

The way I have done it when I didn't feel like an overnight crossing is to go from Carrabelle to Steinhatchie, then to Cedar Key, then to Tarpon Springs (ore therabouts).

Waves pile up bad in the Big Bend and when we go to, or come back from, the Bahamas, I always view that crossing to be the worst part of the trip, even more so than the gulf stream. When I have been in a hurry, I just cut across from Pensacola to Clearwater(roughly 270 miles), or visa versa, and just get it over with in two days (or one and a half if you want to step on the gas).

With 20 knots, I'd wait for a good day and just do it in one long day. But, wait for a good day. The GOM can get pretty frosty, pretty fast!

Last edited:
The way I have done it when I didn't feel like an overnight crossing is to go from Carrabelle to Steinhatchie, then to Cedar Key, then to Tarpon Springs (ore therabouts).

Waves pile up bad in the Big Bend and when we go to, or come back from, the Bahamas, I always view that crossing to be the worst part of the trip, even more so than the gulf stream. When I have been in a hurry, I just cut across from Pensacola to Clearwater(roughly 270 miles), or visa versa, and just get it over with in two days (or one and a half if you want to step on the gas).

With 20 knots, I'd wait for a good day and just do it in one long day.

Thank you for the insight. I don't have many days to spare but am looking to try to do it one day. I.e. leave 6AM and steam full speed ahead.

What I am trying to figure out is what resources there are to check weather/conditions on the gulf and how to interpret to know that is possible.

Thank you again!

NOAA is pretty good (at least for two or three days ahead, the same as everyone else). We use their marine forecasts almost exclusively when planning trips. Then we check it, with Windy and weather underground. When they all agree that you have a good three day weather window (one day to let the seas settle, and two days to make the trip in), then we go. Anything past three days is a guess, not a forecast, as far as I'm concerned.

NOAA is pretty good (at least for two or three days ahead, the same as everyone else). We use their marine forecasts almost exclusively when planning trips. Then we check it, with Windy and weather underground. When they all agree that you have a good three day weather window (one day to let the seas settle, and two days to make the trip in), then we go. Anything past three days is a guess, not a forecast, as far as I'm concerned.

What specific NOAA forecast or weather stations?

What do you consider "good" weather?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Eddys Weather Wag is posted on a forum at AGLCA. It specifically addressed daytime and overnight crossing for slow and fast boats. I don't know if you can get it if not on the Looper Forum.

Thanks. How often does he post an update/report? Would like to know before I spend $80 to join...

Thanks. How often does he post an update/report? Would like to know before I spend $80 to join...
Posts every day and IMHO, you can take his advice to the bank[emoji106]

The noaa Marine forecast. Just search that sentence and it will pop up. It breaks it down into regions, you click on the ones you want to see the forecast for.

I look for two foot seas or less and ten knots of wind, or less.

The noaa Marine forecast. Just search that sentence and it will pop up. It breaks it down into regions, you click on the ones you want to see the forecast for.

I look for two foot seas or less and ten knots of wind, or less.

awesome, thank you!

Alright, plotted the course. If weather is absolutely perfect, may be able to pull off New Orleans to Charleston in 7 days.

If anyone is going from Carrabelle to Tarpon (or similar) around Feb 19 let me know!

Also, anyone note any major changes from Irma or things that might not be on charts yet?

Last edited:
Most people stage behind Dog Island prior to the crossing. I have always found people there to cross with (although we cross normally a little earlier in the season).

It's always great to discuss the weather etc with others. They are always happy to have another boat join and most leave around 15:00 to arrive at Tarpon spring around noon.

I’m gonna make the cross Gulf trip from Mississippi Sound to Tampa Bay again but won’t be til mid March. Then onward to East Coast with a buddy boat that is already in St. Pete waiting for me. Good luck on your trip.

The crossing is a long but enjoyable trip especially at 20 knots, most here push to get 9 knots. Use several sources to make your decision as the farther the distance the more opportunity for change in weather. We use, as one source, http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/pens.shtml which projects out conditions over 180 hours. The more sources that align the better the decision, I would not make that distance (MS to Tampa Bay) or any Gulf crossing, without a Liferaft! Standing By -

The crossing is a long but enjoyable trip especially at 20 knots, most here push to get 9 knots. Use several sources to make your decision as the farther the distance the more opportunity for change in weather. We use, as one source, Pensacola Surf Report (STORMSURF) which projects out conditions over 180 hours. The more sources that align the better the decision, I would not make that distance (MS to Tampa Bay) or any Gulf crossing, without a Liferaft! Standing By -

Thank you, got a life raft, renting an EPIRB, and may also rent a sat phone.

Lots of resources from NOAA to Wunderground to Buoy Weather to Windy. Among those we've found Windy very dependable.

Now to your next question, "What do you consider "good" weather.?" It doesn't matter what we consider, it's what you're comfortable with in your boat. Now, here's how I decide. Whatever is shown as the worst, I must feel very comfortable in and comfortable, although not as much so, in the next level of seas and still safe two levels up. So, if forecast is 3-4' at 6 seconds, I must feel comfortable at 4-6' and must feel safe, although not fun, at 6-8'. I also look at the possible systems.

I look right now and see 4' and 5' at 5 seconds. I wouldn't go in your boat. I look at tomorrow and see 3' at 4 seconds but see adjacent areas of 4'. Now, on Tuesday I see 2' and I see no other systems close. I have to move 200 nm west to see 4'. So, while Monday would be possible ok for you, I'd simply plan on Tuesday and have a great crossing. So, that's how I look at things. Now, I don't know what of those conditions you're comfortable with.

You could also use a weather forecaster like Chris Parker. He will do a 5 day detailed forecast for you around your proposed leave date for $55.

I’ve used his forecasts a few times— crossing to Key West, Bahama crossings— and had good luck. I’m not a good weather guesser.

https://mwxc.com

Here is a weather site I have used
Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)

it wil open to an area off Tampa below the opening map you will see MWx pro- control panel click on the Gulf of Mexico top line small icons to get the various forecasts "sea height" etc. The darker the water shading the smaller the waves.
We travel about 8 MPH out there so usually do an overnight crossing Apalachicola to Anclote, Tarpon Springs we like both places so don't mind waiting for good weather at either one.
Good luck.

Back on dry land! Awesome trip! Awesome weather! Completely exhausted.

Was able to do 1,400+ miles over 8 days, probably could’ve done it in 7 if my brother did not get seasick. Added to the 400 miles last month from Texas to New Orleans, I am ~1,800 out of 2,800 miles away from my destination. Overall an excellent experience and I learned a lot like how inaccurate charts can be. Very intimidating being nearly 100 miles out in the Gulf. A hell of a shakedown and list of things to have fixed but the boat handled very well. Even hit a lobster pot in the Gulf (they are a minefield out there) and had to have Seatow dive to disentangle. Tons of wrecks and a few parts that caused an adrenaline rush due to skinny water. Also sad to see so much hurricane damage still apparent.

Last edited:
Back on dry land! Awesome trip! Awesome weather! Completely exhausted.

Was able to do 1,400+ miles over 8 days, probably could’ve done it in 7 if my brother did not get seasick. Added to the 400 miles last month from Texas to New Orleans, I am ~1,800 out of 2,800 miles away from my destination. Overall an excellent experience and I learned a lot like how inaccurate charts can be. Very intimidating being nearly 100 miles out in the Gulf. A hell of a shakedown and list of things to have fixed but the boat handled very well. Even hit a lobster pot in the Gulf (they are a minefield out there) and had to have Seatow dive to disentangle. Tons of wrecks and a few parts that caused an adrenaline rush due to skinny water.

Wow....sounds like quite the adventure! What’s your final destination?
We will be bringing our new to us boat from Florida to LA hopefully next week.

Wow....sounds like quite the adventure! What’s your final destination?
We will be bringing our new to us boat from Florida to LA hopefully next week.

TBD. Probably will spend the summer cruising between NJ-NY-CT-RI-MA.

I did this trip last year. Had a wonderful time. Mostly on the outside but stopping every night either at marina or on the hook. Did only one or two days on the inside. Took the shortcut up the Mississippi from the mouth and exited to cross to the Chandeleur Islands. Crossed the Big Bend in one long day with good weather at 8kts. Especially liked the "old Florida" area like Carrabelle and Apalachicola and areas north of Tampa on the mainland. Biggest and best oysters and shrimp ever If you have any specific questions let me know.

Mike

I did this trip last year. Had a wonderful time. Mostly on the outside but stopping every night either at marina or on the hook. Did only one or two days on the inside. Took the shortcut up the Mississippi from the mouth and exited to cross to the Chandeleur Islands. Crossed the Big Bend in one long day with good weather at 8kts. Especially liked the "old Florida" area like Carrabelle and Apalachicola and areas north of Tampa on the mainland. Biggest and best oysters and shrimp ever If you have any specific questions let me know.

Mike

I wanted to do more outside but my brother was getting sea sick. I was getting annoyed with all the twists at turns between Jacksonville and South Carolina. Does anyone know if the USCAE will be doing any dredging as some areas were only a few feet of water and sailboats would not be able to get through? Very happy they maintain the floating buoys at tricky spots!

I wanted to do more outside but my brother was getting sea sick. I was getting annoyed with all the twists at turns between Jacksonville and South Carolina. Does anyone know if the USCAE will be doing any dredging as some areas were only a few feet of water and sailboats would not be able to get through? Very happy they maintain the floating buoys at tricky spots!

They dredge, it fills, and the ICW is definitely not good territory for sailboats. As to your sea sick brother, did you try medicine for him?

They dredge, it fills, and the ICW is definitely not good territory for sailboats. As to your sea sick brother, did you try medicine for him?

Scop patch, zofran, and Dramamine to no avail.

We crossed the Gulf eastbound in December, Southwest Pass to Ft Meyers. 36 hours in S winds 10-15 it was a bit rolly and it takes a toll on you especially at night. Right now we are back in FLA after two months in the Bahamas and will spend this month in & around St Pete. Plan on crossing the Gulf westbound after Easter. Keeping my fingers crossed for a decent weather window!

Back
Top Bottom