Out to Launch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I’m headed up to Cape Canaveral next week to watch Elon’s little toy rocket fly. Actually more interested in seeing the boosters come back. I’ve seen and felt real rockets take off, never seen a rocket come back.

I bought expensive tickets so I could watch from the visitors center but it’s not a great viewing site.

I was wondering if any of my TF friends have watched a launch from the water?
How close can you get?

I know NASA closes big areas of water but I can’t find a map showing the closed areas. I figure I’m using the wrong search terms. Can you help me out?

Much of the area in the Indian River is OK, slightly closer in the Banana just north of tbe barge canal. There are some areas to anchor but not much if its a crowd that day. Should be on the local nautical chart for the area, also a good explanation on Active Captain last I recall.

Every time we have been in the area, it gets oostponed and we wind up seeing it from Patrick AFB. Great view in 7×50 binocs.

Last launch we saw was just before Christmas and even saw the landback rockets fire. Cant see the ground operation from there, not sure you can from any anchorage.

Attachments

• 20171215_184634.jpg
    20171215_184634.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 108
I'm jealous! I just read about their planned launch of the biggest boosters since Saturn V! Should be quite a show.

Wifey B: We've watched sort of from the water, from the marina. Great view. Fun, but a one time thing as it's sort of a great mental buildup to what you're going to see, then a minute of action, then it's all over.

You have to sort of psych yourself up to think, even though it's now done all the time, space launches are still amazing. People have been flying around in space all my life so it's easy to take it for granted. Now, those of you who are over 56 remember the first manned launch and those over 60 remember the first launch. To me it's still amazing but perspective isn't the same. I'm also very glad I don't know anything at all about the science and can just be in awe that we can do such things. :)

Didn't exactly "watch" a launch from the water, but was proximate to several - from under the water. Good, close seats for all. I'd love to see one.

I'm jealous! I just read about their planned launch of the biggest boosters since Saturn V! Should be quite a show.

Al, I saw and felt two Saturn V launches from maybe three miles away. I like to say Walter Cronkite was behind me. I had press passes to Apollo 11 and 12. If you ever see a picture taken from the old press sight there is a big digital count down clock and an American flag. I was down by the water to the left of the flag.

Parks: I think it will be very cool. Lena and I just watched our first launch (4:25 this afternoon) from Vero Beach of the Falcon 9, a small guy compared to what youre going to see. Were talking about renting a car to drive up to get closer for the 2/6 launch. Definitely a wow factor for us.

Attachments

• IMG_1057a.jpg
    IMG_1057a.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1060a.jpg
    IMG_1060a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 97
Parks: I think it will be very cool. Lena and I just watched our first launch (4:25 this afternoon) from Vero Beach of the Falcon 9, a small guy compared to what youre going to see. Were talking about renting a car to drive up to get closer for the 2/6 launch. Definitely a wow factor for us.

Shoot, I forgot about that one. I wanted to watch the live video feed from SpaceX. I understand that the booster on this one was old so they decided not to land it.

... I understand that the booster on this one was old so they decided not to land it.

Thanks for that. Lena had the binos and I was on the camera looking for the booster drop. I’m glad we didn’t miss it but then again I’m not sure we would have seen the drop anyway since we were so far away. Still, pretty amazing to see what we did.

This is what I got today in the KSC email. Check out the link for lots more info than the video below.

"The inaugural flight of SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy, targeted for Tuesday, February 6, 2018, is one of the most anticipated launches in recent history. Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex invites you to experience the awe and excitement from within a few miles/kilometers from the launch pad. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for launch viewing announcements."

This Falcon Heavy Test Flight launch had great potential to be quite a show....success or fail. Parks, I think you've got a great chance to see something spectacular.

Last edited:
Thanks Al. I bought the “Closest Package”. It’s actually not the closest but the Feel the Heat package was sold out.

If they delay the launch to the seventh, I’m screwed. I have to be in Miami on the seventh.

Even Elon musk is saying it may not work, so you might be able carry home a souvenir if something goes wrong...

Even Elon musk is saying it may not work, so you might be able carry home a souvenir if something goes wrong...

They actually talk about there being danger in the viewing area.

In the mid 90s one night I was in a car a few miles south of South Bay headed to Clewiston when a launch took place. It was amazing the amount of light, about like the sun coming up again. Cars were pulling off the road just to have a good look.
Steve W

Thanks Al. I bought the “Closest Package”. It’s actually not the closest but the Feel the Heat package was sold out.

If they delay the launch to the seventh, I’m screwed. I have to be in Miami on the seventh.

I sure hope you get a video! You can be our TF Lead Reporter on the front line.

"Film at 11..."

Thanks Al. I bought the “Closest Package”. It’s actually not the closest but the Feel the Heat package was sold out....
The "Closet Package" might offer more protection.:)

I used to go and watch the shuttle launches if I was in MCO or TPA when one was happening. They went about 50% of the time I went to see them. Sometimes the launches were scrubbed because some yahoo in a boat was out in the prohibited zone off shore and couldn't get out of the way fast enough before the launch window closed.

Without paying money to get on Merritt Island (not refunded if the launch was scrubbed), the best place was Veteran's Memorial Park in Titusville. You could get out on the causeway a bit, but the causeway itself was closed. Since the Falcon uses the same pads as the shuttle it might be a good place. However, you are still about 12 miles away.

Here's what I saw from there:

Attachments

• launch_strip_sm.jpg
    launch_strip_sm.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 87
Hydrazine used in rocket fuel is highly toxic.

L

The Merlin engine(27 of them) all burn RP-1 and Oxygen. no hydrazine.

I would be more concerned with debris if I was closer, or in the launch area. They clear the launch downrange area as best they can but... We have had launches scrubbed because of boats ignoring the NOTAMS.

Musk said "this was the first time and it may not go right..." They have launched with 9 (Falcon 9) engines, but the heavy has 3x that all tied together. Major feat of mechanical engineering if it flies and stays together.

I learned something interesting about SpaceX, they don’t like to use anything that can’t be tested before they are actually used. For instance, other rocket manufactures use explosive bolts to release things. Obviously can’t be tested prior actually needing them to work. SpaceX prefers to use hydraulics or other mechanical releases that can be tested. All of the engines on the Falcon Heavy have been fired at least twice now.

If you are at Port Canaveral or cocoa beach when they test fire the rockets, you can hear the roar but can’t see anything until the smoke rises above the horizon. The test fired the heavy lift rockets last Thursday, if I remember correctly.

I just bought myself a ticket to the fireworks. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve never seen a launch before.

I just bought myself a ticket to the fireworks. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve never seen a launch before.

You picked a good one for your first time. They haven’t launched one this big in about forty years.

If you are at Port Canaveral or cocoa beach when they test fire the rockets, you can hear the roar but can’t see anything until the smoke rises above the horizon. The test fired the heavy lift rockets last Thursday, if I remember correctly.

Stu, I was up there earlier in the week fishing in the Mosquito Lagoon. The test was scheduled for that day but got canceled because the government was closed!

If you go to Spacecoastlaunches.com they have all the countdowns. launches live on line with great commentary's etc. If you have a smart tv and wifi you can cast it from your laptop to the TV . And watch everything live, fantastic coverage as well as quick look live in the sky. https://spacecoastlaunches.com/launch-schedule/ This will inform you of the launch details of ther Falcon heavy and upcoming launches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom