View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
Benthic2
Guru

City: Boston Area
Anyone I know that has had to call TowbouatUS around here, has very positive things to say about them. That's a small sample to judge an entire industry, but I'm sure most of the tow operators are professionals and not pirates out looking for booty.

However, a small percentage of people are opportunistic jerks, and if given the opportunity to take advantage of someone, they will. Why not remove the temptation and make the cost of the salvage based on the work that was done, not the value of what was saved.

If a tow operator, or any sevice provider for that matter, can't give you an itemized cost breakdown of why they are charging you a certain amount, there's something wrong there.

The service provided to pull my boat off the rocks is the same, whether its a 30 year old boat, or a brand new Nordhavn carrying Fabrege Eggs and Van Gogh paintings.

It seems like the law would not have much effect on the legitimate towing services but would correct an arcane law that can be used by the unscrupulous to take advantage of people, and it seems like a good idea to me.

It will be interesting to see how the conflict between Federal Maritime Law and a State Law, if this passes, is reconciled.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote