View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #13
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Long View Post
Curious, did you have TowboatUS or Seatow insurance at the time?

If so, would you mind telling us which?
It is entirely irrelevant as to who the tower was but it was TowBoatUS and I had BoatUS unlimited towing insurance. The incident described occurred in the anchorage at Oriental, NC when my anchor dragged.

To be fair (well only a little) the towing company said that they would contact my insurance company and negotiate a settlement and that i wouldn't be personally charged. Typical- focus on the insurance to spread the cost to all of us rather than hit us individually.

I did contact my insurance company and they had an adjuster call me to arrange to come out and assess the damage. I said what damage, just a little scraped paint below the water line. I said that you can come but it will take a haul out or a diver to see it. He declined to come.

He did ask what value TowBoat provided in this incident. I told him it was worthwhile to have the tower hold me off the rocks while I hauled the anchor and got the engines started, but not essential. I told him I didn't think twice about accepting his assistance because I had BoatUS towing insurance.

I don't know what if anything was paid. Never heard any more about it.

And to others comments about verbal contracts. I think that the Florida law should assume that all tows are non salvage unless indicated in writing. It only takes a minute for the boat owner to sign a form indicating it is salvage, not routine towing. If you can't do that then you probably are in an imminent danger situation and the marine salvage law should hold.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote