View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Sales Tax Boat Purchase

I checked your profile info to see your location.* It looks like you are in Georgia.* Sales and use taxes are a sticky subject, and something to watch as you enter states.

You are near a couple of friendly sales tax states NC and SC.* I believe NC max is about $1,800.00 and SC max is about 300.00.* That, however, does not get you our of the property tax if you stay too long.

You can buy a boat from a dealer in FL and leave the state with a special 90 day cruise permit.* Then pay the tax where you register.* This does not work for FL residents.* If you over stay your permit, FL will charge you double the tax.* They want documentation when you leave the state.* After staying out of the state for over 6 months, you can register in FL with no use tax due.

Hampton, VA is friendly to boats as for as property tax goes.* Not certain about the state sales or use taxes.* MD will get a use tax if you use the boat more in MD than another state no matter the length of stay.

Delaware has no sales tax that I know of.* Much depends on the state you register your boat and where you keep it.* Be sertain to check for the current situation in each state.

Good luck.

As you can see, tax avoidance is a complicated issue.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote