looking into trucking a 34ft marine trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddox

Hello everyone, I'm a newbe to The Trawler Forum and first time potential buyer of a trawler. I'm trying to find information regarding the height of a 1975 34ft Marine Trader "Europa". I live in Florida and the boat's in Maine. Trucking companies have a maximum height requirement of 13'6" including their trailer. I haven't been there to measure and if it's to high, then that most likely be a deal breaker. I'm hoping for any input or suggestions anyone may have to offer. Thank You

I would imagine it's going to be well over 13'6" unless you remove the bridge. Then that gets into lots of labor expense. I'd either find one closer or better yet, bring it down on it's own keel!

I'm not familiar with the tern bring it down on It's keel, I have removed a bridge before to make repairs to boats but could not make out if this one can be removed.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. On it's keel means drive or have it driven down on the water. So to get it to Florida from Maine you would exit the harbor and turn right.

Last edited:
Thanks, every ounce of me wants to make that right turn and enjoy! The boat has a 120hp lehman and what i've read (if well maintained) are somewhat billet proof for the trip. Just checked the weather there and tonight it's -3 degrees so i'm going to wait it out, being the Florida native that I am! Where could I find info on miles to make that trip?

Hello everyone, I'm a newbe to The Trawler Forum and first time potential buyer of a trawler. I'm trying to find information regarding the height of a 1975 34ft Marine Trader "Europa". I live in Florida and the boat's in Maine. Trucking companies have a maximum height requirement of 13'6" including their trailer. I haven't been there to measure and if it's to high, then that most likely be a deal breaker. I'm hoping for any input or suggestions anyone may have to offer. Thank You
Welcome aboard Maddox, I am a long distance trucker who hauls oversize loads all the time,but not boats, so I know a little about what is involved. The boat must be reduced in size as much as possible so this means removing the fly bridge. Once the size has been reduced as much as possible then if it is still over 13' 6" in overall height you can still move it, you just get the right permit, we do it all the time. I just delivered an engine that was 14' 6" so the boat you are looking at can be trucked. It will be very expensive. I am guessing by the time you pay for everything, you are talking, and this is just an educated guess, around $8000.00 to $10000.00. My advice would be to either drive it down, what a great adventure, or find a boat closer. Last week I saw a 34 ft. single engine trawler that looked pretty good in the pictures. It was on craigs list located in Crystal River, for $14,000.00. Might be worth looking at. Good luck

I would suspect that if you didnt know the term "Bring it down on its own keel" You had better truck it because your experience is too limited to try driving it all the way to Florida on the ocean. It would be a great adventure, but it would also be very dangerous for a real neophyte. You need to get some experience under your belt in your home waters before you attempt long passage or even driving it down the ditch.

Maine to Florida on a truck will be in the neighborhood of $15 to $20K

Whoa! I have a 36’ MT sundeck. She is 18’5”. I can collapse the fly bridge, but it still would not be under 14’ because of the radar arch and davit arm. Why not consider hiring a captain to make the trip along with you. It would also serve as a great learning experience. Personally I prefer blue water cruising over cruising the intracoastal.

You will most likely travel at 8-9 knots depending on conditions although I have a 160 Mercedes engine. It might be slightly different with a 120 Lehman.

There is so much to take into consideration with this relocation. I would plan on a month from Maine to Florida, driving 8-9 hours a day.

Thanks, every ounce of me wants to make that right turn and enjoy! The boat has a 120hp lehman and what i've read (if well maintained) are somewhat billet proof for the trip. Just checked the weather there and tonight it's -3 degrees so i'm going to wait it out, being the Florida native that I am! Where could I find info on miles to make that trip?

https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/docs/distances.pdf

As to removing a flybridge and arches, it can all be done. They were built as separate pieces. Still, I'd do it by water. I'd take weeks or months. It's already up there so enjoy all there is between Maine and FL even if you have to break the trip into many segments.

Thank you all for your replies, I was too late making an offering to purchase the 34 Marine Trader in Maine, but I did buy a 34ft Marine Trader, Double Cabin on Lake Michigan near Chicago. Anyone with experience having a boat trucked and can recommend a company would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to bringing it down by water but the time to make such a trip is a problem. I plan to truck it or bring it down by water sometime in late March or the first of April.

Thank you all for your replies, I was too late making an offering to purchase the 34 Marine Trader in Maine, but I did buy a 34ft Marine Trader, Double Cabin on Lake Michigan near Chicago. Anyone with experience having a boat trucked and can recommend a company would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to bringing it down by water but the time to make such a trip is a problem. I plan to truck it or bring it down by water sometime in late March or the first of April.

These folks, for sure, if they'll take it on..spotless rep...haul for Cruisers, Carver and Marquis:

M & B Yacht and Boat Transport | Menominee, MI

How does hiring a relocation captain differ from taking on a crew and sailing it to Florida as a bunch of pals?

How does hiring a relocation captain differ from taking on a crew and sailing it to Florida as a bunch of pals?

I suppose it would depend on your pals, but I think you can assume a relocation captain to be licensed and insured, have the experience and training to maximize the chance of a successful trip, and teach you about navigation, system maintenance, boat handling and so on. I belive some insurance companies prefer a new boat owner to get one on one training from a captain, so you could check that box off during your trip as well.

Sounds like a great time, checks several boxes, and costs a lot less than trucking.

I would imagine it's going to be well over 13'6" unless you remove the bridge. Then that gets into lots of labor expense. I'd either find one closer or better yet, bring it down on it's own keel!

Fly(ing) bridge: another reason to avoid. :hide:

A long-range, ocean cruise on an unfamiliar/unproven boat? :facepalm:

Would think there are lots of suitable (as in undamaged by hurricane) boats to purchase in Florida. :confused:

Last edited:
It’s not experience that I have issue with, as boomerang stated, it’s an unfamiliar unproven boat that’s my concern.

It’s not experience that I have issue with, as boomerang stated, it’s an unfamiliar unproven boat that’s my concern.

It’s a marine trader. Took my unproven mt to the Bahamas. I guess they are all unproven until that first voyage

Proven boats break too. Every time you leave the pier is a crapshoot, though there is a lot you can do to load the dice in your favor.

Can we please have a like button? Capt. Ron hysterical movie!

We bought our current boat in Virginia. Spent about 4 weeks over the first winter working on the boat, adding all new electronics and going through the systems. Took it on a 3 day shakedown cruise in the local area. Then we left to bring her home 1400 miles. No problems. Had a great time.

You’re right about the chance of a problem with any Boat. I will go over it very throughly and make a few passes on the lake and see how it performs

You’re right about the chance of a problem with any Boat. I will go over it very throughly and make a few passes on the lake and see how it performs

Here's how I look at it. Half your east coast trip is already paid for. It may be years or you may never bring it back that far north. I'd take a long slow trip to Florida, seeing all the sights I could. If I had to break the trip down into many segments, then I'd do so.

... I sent a request for quote

When you get the quote back, would you mind sharing it with us? There are always numbers thrown out but it’s nice get something that’s recent and accurate.

On a side note, we shipped a 1981, 34’ Mainship from Oceanside, California to Tacoma, Washington years ago. We only had to remove the flybridge windshield to make the height restrictions. Hopefully you’ll be lucky also.

take a look at Hi from Pensacola

I had mine trucked down to Pensacola FL from Sandusky Ohio. Take a look at Hi from Pensacola and see if that helps your decision. I didn't have the option of removing the bridge. Trucking company did that for me on the way down by hitting a bridge. Factor that into your decision.

Fly(ing) bridge: another reason to avoid. :hide:

A long-range, ocean cruise on an unfamiliar/unproven boat? :facepalm:

Would think there are lots of suitable (as in undamaged by hurricane) boats to purchase in Florida. :confused:
:nonono:Most Florida boats are an uncleaned not maintained mess

Welcome aboard Maddox, I am a long distance trucker who hauls oversize loads all the time,but not boats, so I know a little about what is involved. The boat must be reduced in size as much as possible so this means removing the fly bridge. Once the size has been reduced as much as possible then if it is still over 13' 6" in overall height you can still move it, you just get the right permit, we do it all the time. I just delivered an engine that was 14' 6" so the boat you are looking at can be trucked. It will be very expensive. I am guessing by the time you pay for everything, you are talking, and this is just an educated guess, around $8000.00 to $10000.00. My advice would be to either drive it down, what a great adventure, or find a boat closer. Last week I saw a 34 ft. single engine trawler that looked pretty good in the pictures. It was on craigs list located in Crystal River, for $14,000.00. Might be worth looking at. Good luck
That boat in Crystal River is a dirty mess-I looked at it

Back
Top Bottom