Renovating the Galley on a GB 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wbarnh

I am renovating the Galley on my GB 36 Classic. I have replaced the non working refrigerator and installed a new propane stove. Now I want a new countertop with a bottom mount sink.

I don't necessarily want to go back with Formica and while Corian would be an option I hear that it can get burn marks if a hot pan is set on it. What about Quartz, recycled glass or Granite? Too many decisions. I also want to have a watertight back splash.
In process-
223.jpg

224.jpg

All ideas appreciated

You may already know this, but bottom mounted sinks require a solid, ie non laminated countertop. Granite would be my choice. The granite supplier will come out, measure your space, take your sink and any separate fixtures back with him to get the cutout just right, install the granite and mount the sink.

David

And the granite installer can install a 3-4" matching granite backsplash that is sealed with - dare I say it - clear silicone, making it waterproof.

Thinner Granite

There is a company in our town by the name of Granite Transformations that installs a Granite "Veneer" that is about 1/2 the thickness of normal. They apply it over the existing countertop in homes. I am going to check with them to see if they have a solution for the boat galley. I priced them for my house and they run about the same $$ as regular Granite. But maybe an option for the boat.

Work almost completed

Here's a picture of my new countertop and sink install. I went to a company called Granite Transformations with my old countertop. They replicated the base and covered it with a granite veneer, saving a lot of weight. So now the galley has new refrigerator, stove, a more usable sink and new countertop. We added a few other features and have only the final trim and paint left to complete. I was very fortunate to have a great friend who is pretty handy to help me and the project so far has taken about 4 full days of work.

Attachments

• Countertop 1.jpg
    Countertop 1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 145
Wb,

I did the galley countertop on the old boat in granite. It was 3/4" thick bought from Grossman's Bargain Outlet in Warwick, RI.

Cost was around $750.00 for the granite, fawcet, under mount sink, edge forming bit, various stones, polishing pads and a water cooled polisher/grinder.

Before and after attached. Not the greatest quality photos.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 120
It's not as hard as you would think as long as you take your time.

By the way, I delivered a boat to Elberta from New Orleans last August. Very nice experience and met some great people.

Rob

It's not as hard as you would think as long as you take your time.

By the way, I delivered a boat to Elberta from New Orleans last August. Very nice experience and met some great people.

Rob

Rob, this is my first “Big Boat” and there have been a lot of learning experiences. The Elberta area has been a great place to get started.

Nice job Wbarnh, might do this to mine!

Very nice job, very clean

Back
Top Bottom