Garmin now owns 100% of Navionics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubnuh

I'm concerned that Garmin will now take Navionics offline for those of us using non-Garmin hardware :banghead:. Maybe not right away, but in the future. I love the user generated aspect of sonar mapping. Are there other offshore options that combine this feature?

Why do you have that concern? If your existing equipment meets your needs, why worry about what might happen a few years down the road?

I hope Garmin learned from the purchase of Active Captain, not to introduce the new and improved product until it works. Active Captain worked great and Garmin Blue Charts worked great the 2 together was such a useful tool. Now after the purchase I can’t get the combined “new and impossible “ Active Captain to do anything but cause me to mumble..., wtf why what happened why no bridge height, what happened to .....

Last edited:
Why do you have that concern? If your existing equipment meets your needs, why worry about what might happen a few years down the road?

Because map updates could become exclusive to Garmin hardware...

Why would Garmin give up all that subscription revenue? They bought the company for a reason and they probably know navionics user likes that platform so that may just make it better and keep the platform there.

I talked to some GARMIN top brass today at the boat show. They claimed navionics is bound to long term contracts to support competitors. They claim they need revenues from these competitors to justify what they paid for navionics. They wouldn’t tell me exactly what they are up to but said they need navionics chart layering technology and Delorme’s satalite communication technology to develop a new break through device for aviation. They claim they didn’t buy navionics for the marine side but since they own it now they are going to take advantage of the technology to improve there products. Expect to see future Garmin equipment to incorporate active captain and satellite communications all in the same device.

I talked to some GARMIN top brass today at the boat show. They claimed navionics is bound to long term contracts to support competitors. They claim they need revenues from these competitors to justify what they paid for navionics. They wouldn’t tell me exactly what they are up to but said they need navionics chart layering technology and Delorme’s satalite communication technology to develop a new break through device for aviation. They claim they didn’t buy navionics for the marine side but since they own it now they are going to take advantage of the technology to improve there products. Expect to see future Garmin equipment to incorporate active captain and satellite communications all in the same device.

Tilt,

Thanks for the info. I wonder what aviation product they're going to come up with. Their current stuff is quite sophisticated and wonder how they can improve it.... but I guess there's always something. Overall, I like them and have bought a number of their products for marine, aviation and road. Happy with most of them and their support is excellent, which hopefully will be an improvement for Navionics. However, I did purchase a Simrad package before they bought Navionics because of a number of reasons that Garmin couldn't give me. We'll see how that goes.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom