Oil prices - it pays to shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Changing our oil tomorrow so I went shopping for 30 wt and found a huge range. WestMarine was $27/gallon, Fisheries Supply was $22, locally through Coastal Farm and Supply $12.99, another Tractor supply was $13.25 and Costco stopped carrying 30 wt in my area. Saved a bunch by checking with Tractor supply businesses.

Canadian tire heavy duty 30 21.99 for 5l so 16.65/gal. It is rebranded shell. I found cheaper in 20l bucket in walmart but never tried it asnot sure about where it come from.

Shell Rotella T 30 wt was just under $14 a gallon at Walmart if memory serves me right.

Ted

We live out in the sticks so Amazon prime works for my oil supply. Besides our dog loves it when we get deliveries since he gets a treat from the drivers.

Call around. I found Rotilla in the 5-Gallon bucket even cheaper at one of the auto parts places (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.; forget which one) than at WalMart and even the local fishermen's supply place.

I've seen the same Rotella oil that Walmart sells for $13.99 at a marina "ship's store" for $38.99. And yes, it's about $10 more at West Marine than at Walmart although you could ask for a price match.

When I set out on a cruise, I carry my oil and filters with me for however many changes I think I will need.

I live at roads end in a small town and purchase oil (and other things like impellers) at the only Yanmar dealer in town, despite the extra cost. He's also been a great source of information, and you never know, I may need his services one day so being known to him and being on his good side seems like a smart idea!

Murray,
Don’t need to be in a small town to make that work.

I live at roads end in a small town and purchase oil (and other things like impellers) at the only Yanmar dealer in town, despite the extra cost. He's also been a great source of information, and you never know, I may need his services one day so being known to him and being on his good side seems like a smart idea!

My John Deere is just running out of warranty. My local dealer knows me on sight, smiles as he knows he's about to get a check. Oil, filters, impellers and a couple boat units worth of cruising spares has him always eager to answer questions and help, even when I'm a couple thousand miles away.

Ted

:thumb:

It certainly pays to shop around. I won’t do business at Walmart simply because I don’t like their business practices. I don’t mind buying marine supplies from my local chandlery, even if I am paying a bit more. It keeps them in business and they provide service.

For things like engine parts or oil, I will shop around. However I will usually end up buying them at a local auto parts store. It may not be the cheapest but it is convenient and supports a local business. Surprisingly, I can usually find a sale at the parts store that makes it about as cheap as I could find most places.

Not that I mind buying online. I buy my anodes online as I can get just what I need and a decent price and it is much more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom