Fire Extinguishers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLETF

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Buster
Vessel Make
North Sea Cape Classic 30
The fire extinguishers on my 30 ft trawler have been recalled. My understanding is that the current USCG minimum requirement is either two B-I or one B-II BC fire extinguishers for this size of vessel. I am considering buying two new B-II extinguishers. I would appreciate other TF members opinion about the fire extinguisher fire class, size and agent.
Questions:
1. ABC or just BC?
2. Typical dry chemical, Purple K or another agent?
3. All one type or a combination of types and sizes?
Thanks.

If you mean the Kidde recall, from what I can recollect, they are replacing them for free?

Just let Kidde replace them with new ones. I have 7 that they replaced. Call the 800 number and have the recalled ones at hane since you need model and serial number. Overall very easy process.

Buy more than 2, they don’t discharge for long. Buy lots

Here is the link to the Kiddie fire extinguisher recall.
https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/

Send in the information and they will send you a free replacement and a return sticker to send back your old ones.

For you guys that have already received your replacement Kidde extinguishers, how long after you sent in the information did you receive them? I've been waiting two months.

It was less than 3 weeks. Talked to a couple of others that got them even faster. I would call them back. They quoted me 15 to 20 working days.

It was less than 3 weeks. Talked to a couple of others that got them even faster. I would call them back. They quoted me 15 to 20 working days.

Same here. One was 10 Days. The other 2 were 14 Days.

John

Less than 2 weeks.

Same here, arrived in ten days. And I had 2 under the US recall and 2 under the Canadian recall. It was a very simple process.

Not sure you could have too many fire extinguishers aboard. They do discharge very quick.
My four recalled extinguishers took a little over six weeks for delivery.

Cannot have too many. Get five or ten lb ones. They don't go for very long and boats burn VERY fast. Look into Purple K extinguishers anywhere you think there may be fuel to burn. Again get many and get big ones. There are no fire trucks at sea.

Could not see the reference to horizontal mounting, but it could help avoid powder type packing solid.Then there`s new bracket screwholes to change over.. I`ll take a look at it.

My bad. I was told this during last years safety inspection.

For you guys that have already received your replacement Kidde extinguishers, how long after you sent in the information did you receive them? I've been waiting two months.

I initially called on November 4. I then called on December 15 and they asked for the reference number. I said what reference number? The one that they gave me when I called on the 4th. They said without that they can’t track the replacements. We started all over again but now they told me one of three original ones were not part of the recall so I would only get the two. I just received the three replacements last Thursday. :confused:

Last edited:
The fire extinguishers on my 30 ft trawler have been recalled. My understanding is that the current USCG minimum requirement is either two B-I or one B-II BC fire extinguishers for this size of vessel. I am considering buying two new B-II extinguishers. I would appreciate other TF members opinion about the fire extinguisher fire class, size and agent.
Questions:
1. ABC or just BC?
2. Typical dry chemical, Purple K or another agent?
3. All one type or a combination of types and sizes?
Thanks.

The USCG requirements for fire extinguishers are surprisingly light. Vessels up to 65 feet, with fixed engine room extinguisher, could get away with one portable extinguisher. My own rule of thumb is, you shouldn't be more than three large steps away from a portable extinguisher. Fire extinguishers are comparatively cheap, it just doesn't pay to skimp in this area.

A couple of years ago I went down this rabbit hole while researching portable fire extinguisher requirements and placement for a new build. The results of that research can be found here, including decoding the types and roman numeral designations, as well as different agents and their strengths and weaknesses, and a short video of an actual electrical fire in an engine room on a client's vessel Portable Fire Extinguishers; Not all are Created Equal | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

I prefer two types of portable extinguishers, several dry chemical for fuel, fiberglass, wood etc, and at least one, and in some cases two or more, gaseous for electrical.

When filling out the form on the web, you have to provide the model and a serial number. Once I entered mine, I received my first one. You have to return the bad one in the new one's box. Once they receive the first bad one from you, they send the second. Once they get the second bad one back, they ship the third. And so it goes. painless and keeps the bad ones from being used.

JimL

No, I called in 6 the first time and they sent 6. I subsequently found another one so they replaced it by itself. It was very easy. The hardest part was calling Fedex and getting the pickup scheduled.

We had 4 at the house that were on the recall list. We received 4 new ones within about 3 weeks and shipped the old ones back in the prepaid FEDEX boxes.

After going through the boat a second time I found another one the recall list that I missed on the first go around. This one took a little over a month to get here. Maybe they are getting overwhelmed and slowing down a bit on their response time. But I would follow up with them.

My last one was the same as your situation, I found one after I got the first shipment. I ordered the last one about 2 weeks ago and got it in less that a week. I was surprised it was that quick.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom