Oil changing adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff Updike

Hi to all, I’m new to your forum, and new to the yachting world. I have very recently purchased a 1988 42’ CHB Europa. Today marks my second oil change for the main and gen. The boat came with very little owners manuals or other info, specifically, I would like to install a drain plug to facilitate my routine oil changing. Does anybody know what the thread count is for my 225 hp turbo engine?. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff Updike

what engine ?

It's uncommon to have room under a boat's engine for a drain plug. Most of the time you have to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I do on my engine.

If you actually have a plug for oil changing in your oil pan, just unscrew it and take it to a place where you can buy a plug to replace it with. Or just use what you removed.

BTW: You may be able to download manuals for your boat's systems and components from the Internet.

someone installed a hose from the drain plug hole and a pump on my 135 .it is the easiest boat oil change I have ever done .I think American diesel may sell the hose .and it gets more oil out than the dipstick way

We have Lehman SP225s in our boat. It came with a petcock type shut off on the oil pan and a hose that comes off the shutoff valve. I hook up a small Jabsco pump to the hose and put the discharge into a 5 gallon bucket. It pumps it all out in a couple of minutes. The SP225s take 22 quarts of oil so you don’t want to go through the dipstick. Have you looked to see if you have a shutoff valve installed? You may have one or if not call Brian at American Diesel. He can fix up up with anything you need except the intercooler, it is no longer available. 804-435-3107

Any place that makes up hydraulic hoses can match the thread of the existing plug. My engines all have a short hose and then a ball valve going into permanent plumbing. Hose needs to be for engine oil.

It's uncommon to have room under a boat's engine for a drain plug. Most of the time you have to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I do on my engine.

If you actually have a plug for oil changing in your oil pan, just unscrew it and take it to a place where you can buy a plug to replace it with. Or just use what you removed.

BTW: You may be able to download manuals for your boat's systems and components from the Internet.

Not uncommon to be able to do it, just that it is usually not factory. Many people dont do it as they have mechs come suck it out at winterization and its tbeir annual oil change.

But quite a few heavy users of their boats go with the drain plug adapter to an oil change system like reverso.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom