Watching TV onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TV reception 70 miles out is pretty good but I want to know how you're getting a cell signal to post on the forum that far out!!! Satellite service?

Ah. I meant 70 miles away... on the ICW, not out at sea. And I was using a marina WiFi connection. :)

FWIW, and update: found an oddity now that we're actually in Charleston. We now receive 17 OTA channels, not all the same as the ones we were getting from further away. And PBS wasn't present at 70 miles, showed up at 40 miles, now no PBS reception again here where we are in Charleston. Very likely line-of-sight issues...

-Chris

............... aboatman,
I definitely don’t have a TV on my boat. And I never go to McDonnalds. Ever.

Do what you want and eat where you want. It's your business.

But, it's nothing to brag about and not watching TV or not eating at McDonalds doesn't make you better than other people.

I think you're missing something too. Why is it an either / or? If I'm on a weekend or week long cruise, how am I supposed to get back to my living room to watch TV at nights when docked?

Exactly!

And consider this: I wouldn't want to be on a cruise anchoring out and pull into a marina to find out that North Korea started a war with the USA or an earthquake demolished my home two or three days ago. And TV is good for tracking bad weather, hurricanes, etc. When cruising, TV is your link to the real world.

We live on a boat. What say you to folks like we?

I would say that I envy that freedom, although I do love it when the lilacs and fruit trees are in bloom at home in the spring.

trainn.jpg

But, it's nothing to brag about and not watching TV or not eating at McDonalds doesn't make you better than other people.

Or does it?
In my opinion it does or I wouldn’t have bragged about it.
There seems to be an abundance of vacumes mostly everywhere trying to and successfully sucking people into what is or may not be good for them mostly to make money directly or indirectly. A TV movie is going to spoon feed you a lot of action, sex or just scenes of places you’d like to go so you’ll watch it. Like why’d most of the old western movies show us Monument Valley over and over again. Why did they run their show “Hawaii Five O” in Hawaii? Some of it’s actually good but most of it’s bad. And then there’s salesmen. They come off as your friend saving you but it’s all about their commission.

When I grew up we didn’t have a TV in the house. Ever. Good friends of ours don’t have a TV but many didand do. There’s lots and lots of things we eagerly embrace just because everybody else is doing it. People buy Chevys And Fords or Hondas and Toyotas to be seen as smart people. There was even a Chevy add “6 million people can’t be wrong”.

I grew up leaning toward and frequently embracing the odd and not mainstream stuff trying to not to always being part of the sheep herd. I veiwed it as a badge of objective thinking. Still do. But you can do this to excess or in reverse. People are judged by the house they live in, the clothes they wear, the language they use, the cars they drive ect ect. Many people are and live the part. And many are pretentious. I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasn’t and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Most people are pretending to be what they want you to think they are.

I try to not pretend at all and be objective in what I do and think. But I do pretend in reverse. Being not part of the sheep herd can bite me though. I could buy a lesser car while most folks were buying Toyotas. I could be thumbing my nose at others watching lots of TV and missing out on great programs. I could be uninformed about important things not watching the news to protect myself from BS, misleading content and downright fake news.

So I’m afraid I was saying “I’m better than you” by saying I don’t watch TV on my boat. Not that much of a scope dope. It’s not my nature to put other people down though. So I’m sorry I was criticizing you TV watchers but I doubt I’ll ever have TV on my boat. I’m sure almost all will agree taking a break from TV is a good thing. I watch quite a bit of TV news every day (mostly) and I don’t watch some of the good programs BandB mentioned because we don’t spend that much money on TV service. Read basic Direct TV.

But I shouldn’t be telling other people I’m better than they are even if I think I am.

Last edited:
But I shouldn’t be telling other people I’m better than they are even if I think I am.

Why not? Don't you think people need to know what sort of person they are dealing with? It is hypocritical to feel this way about your relationship to the rest of your fellow man and then hide it from them for the sake of expediency. Believe in yourself and let folks know just how they fit into your scheme of things.

Or does it?
I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasn’t and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Maybe she was just, "Living below her means"? I believe that's one of the steps to becoming, "The Millionaire Next Door."

I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasn’t and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Maybe she was just, "Living below her means"? I believe that's one of the steps to becoming, "The Millionaire Next Door."

Agree. Why is it "pretending" when you are living below your means? That's completely ridiculous.

I've been L(waay)BYM for 30 years now. That's [STRIKE]why[/STRIKE] the only reason I will be able to retire early this fall.:dance::dance:

Or does it?
In my opinion it does or I wouldn’t have bragged about it.
There seems to be an abundance of vacumes mostly everywhere trying to and successfully sucking people into what is or may not be good for them mostly to make money directly or indirectly. A TV movie is going to spoon feed you a lot of action, sex or just scenes of places you’d like to go so you’ll watch it. Like why’d most of the old western movies show us Monument Valley over and over again. Why did they run their show “Hawaii Five O” in Hawaii? Some of it’s actually good but most of it’s bad. And then there’s salesmen. They come off as your friend saving you but it’s all about their commission.

When I grew up we didn’t have a TV in the house. Ever. Good friends of ours don’t have a TV but many didand do. There’s lots and lots of things we eagerly embrace just because everybody else is doing it. People buy Chevys And Fords or Hondas and Toyotas to be seen as smart people. There was even a Chevy add “6 million people can’t be wrong”.

I grew up leaning toward and frequently embracing the odd and not mainstream stuff trying to not to always being part of the sheep herd. I veiwed it as a badge of objective thinking. Still do. But you can do this to excess or in reverse. People are judged by the house they live in, the clothes they wear, the language they use, the cars they drive ect ect. Many people are and live the part. And many are pretentious. I knew sombody that drove a grey-green Toyota and said she was not pretentious. But she was. She was pretending to be far less affluent than she was. She wasn’t and could have just as easily had a Lexus.

Most people are pretending to be what they want you to think they are.

I try to not pretend at all and be objective in what I do and think. But I do pretend in reverse. Being not part of the sheep herd can bite me though. I could buy a lesser car while most folks were buying Toyotas. I could be thumbing my nose at others watching lots of TV and missing out on great programs. I could be uninformed about important things not watching the news to protect myself from BS, misleading content and downright fake news.

So I’m afraid I was saying “I’m better than you” by saying I don’t watch TV on my boat. Not that much of a scope dope. It’s not my nature to put other people down though. So I’m sorry I was criticizing you TV watchers but I doubt I’ll ever have TV on my boat. I’m sure almost all will agree taking a break from TV is a good thing. I watch quite a bit of TV news every day (mostly) and I don’t watch some of the good programs BandB mentioned because we don’t spend that much money on TV service. Read basic Direct TV.

Being a critical thinker and being overly critical are two very different things.

boathealer wrote;
Agree. Why is it "pretending" when you are living below your means? That's completely ridiculous”

Not rediculous at all. This lady was trying to protect herself from appearing to look like she was showing off. She had a very high paying job and was afraid she’d look like a high mucky muck. She grew up as a low mucky muck. Farmers daughter.

I plan on installing a 1 terra bit SSD local cloud device, then streaming preloaded films TV shows from it to tablets, laptops, TV, etc. Good for all areas, but especially good for 'off grid' locales.

I plan on installing a 1 terra bit SSD local cloud device, then streaming preloaded films TV shows from it to tablets, laptops, TV, etc. Good for all areas, but especially good for 'off grid' locales.

Don't go off topic here! Ha ha, just kidding. :banghead:

MichaelB, have you looked at Sling TV? assuming a decent wi-fi or LTE hotspot, it would work similar to AppleTV for much less $.
I havent tried it yet but considering it for the dirt home; starts at only $20/month and right now looks like they give you a free Roku when you sign up.

MichaelB, have you looked at Sling TV? assuming a decent wi-fi or LTE hotspot, it would work similar to AppleTV for much less $.
I havent tried it yet but considering it for the dirt home; starts at only $20/month and right now looks like they give you a free Roku when you sign up.

I have not, but will check it out as I haven't looked at Sling in a while. Thanks for the tip.

For reference, I am mainly watching Netflix and HBO on AppleTV, with the occasional movie rental on iTunes...and I pay for those services anyway, so the $20/month may be incremental for me.

Preloaded shows and even complete series works great except for those of us who are sports lovers or want to keep current on other matters.

Michael, don't let the snobs get you down. You've got plenty of options as you now see. If this is primarily for your home slip, see if the marina allows dishes to be mounted on pilings. If not that, as you seem to be leaning towards a wireless solution, make sure to test the marina's wifi first before spending a bunch of money, and consider one of the many booster products discussed on this forum if it is indeed weak in your slip.

By far the biggest snobs we met while cruising were the "I live a more ascetic life than you" crowd, both power and sail. We liked to host marina, anchorage and mooring field parties on our boat, it was perfect for that purpose. Always enjoyed when you'd get a group of those folks lounging on the aft deck, greatly enjoying the furniture, icemaker and beverage cooler and all manner of electrical comforts, trying to out do each other with how simple they lived.

Though it might help make you thinner.:).
Hope that doesn`t take the thread off topic.:D

Sounds like yet another personal choice topic.

If you are interested in content in movies, tv shows which are entertainment focused - much more cost effective options than satellite.

If your interest is in sporting events, news, weather, and live programming - then a satellite option may be best.

Mark

Sounds like yet another personal choice topic.

If you are interested in content in movies, tv shows which are entertainment focused - much more cost effective options than satellite.

If your interest is in sporting events, news, weather, and live programming - then a satellite option may be best.

Mark

I continue to pay for satellite for one reason only. The NFL package which lets me watch my New England Patriots in California. I grew up in Boston and suffered through many, many awful Patriots teams...so yes it's fun now, but wasn't always!

If I could figure out a way to get the NFL games another way, I'd ditch satellite altogether and just use my AppleTV exclusively.

you can get what is known as a "jail broke" fire stick

it is completely wide open to everything including real time live sports if thats your thing
just need a decent wifi

you can build a seriously good wifi antenna for just a few bucks to reach out and grab a decent signal

you can get what is known as a "jail broke" fire stick

it is completely wide open to everything including real time live sports if thats your thing
just need a decent wifi

you can build a seriously good wifi antenna for just a few bucks to reach out and grab a decent signal

Yes and if you use KODI (which is what you get) for normally free content, then you're fine. However, if you use it to watch shows you'd normally have to pay for, it's illegal.

...... if you watch something in the privacy of your home or boat i see no crime ?

and to stress my point, how many of you fast forward through the commercials.... you do realize those commercials are the way you pay for all that "free" content

or get up to make a sandwich, or go pee.... the list is long.....

............ so you go pee during the commercials, and i will use my fire stick

Last edited:
stealing cable is a crime

"turning the lights on" to signals that i am bombarded with without my consent is just smart

you never responded about leaving the tv during the commercials.... same thing in my philosophy

Back
Top Bottom