View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
DavidM
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
That is an ambitious plan and from my reading of your questions, you have a lot to learn. Some answers and guidance below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gandee View Post
Crew,

My buddy and I are in the initial planning phase of cruising his Bayliner 5788 from SoCal to Florida via the Caribbean chain beginning November 2018. So many questions! Has anyone here ever done it?

Route- obviously south past Baja Ca. Then along the mainland Mexico coast south to the canal. After the canal the question then becomes North to Cancun east to Cuba and on into the Bahamas. Or, after the canal head west along the north coast of S. America and into Aruba, Grenada and on up through the Caribbean island chain to Cuba then Fla.

Medical needs and prep. Shots?

Read up on the State Department's recommendations for the countries you might visit. Doubt if there is anything unusual, malaria maybe.

How to clear customs in countries we plan to stop at, pass or decide to put into?

Get any long range cruising guide and they will discuss the procedure. See Blue Water below.

Weapons? Forget it. The risk is low that having one will help and the potential for trouble is high with a weapon on board. Some countries will require you to declare and leave them with the authorities. I suspect that often you don't get them back.

Charting? Check with Blue Water Books and Charts- bluewaterweb.com for cruising guides and charts.

Weather/sea info and forecast?

You might want to subscribe to a weather routing service.

Com- VHF, SSB, Sat phone, other?

SSB is of limited value. VHF and sat phone, yes.

There's so much to plan and prepare for. The above is just a start but hopefully will generate conversation and discussion.
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote