Watching TV onboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an older (non-HD) KVH Trac-Vision satellite system that we took off the boat. The previous owner used it for DirecTV, but we never did. If you find yourself up in my neck of the PNW woods I'll sell it to you for $300.

[FONT=&quot]Back in 2002 Boat/US and Senator Breaux of Louisiana composed a joint letter to the National Association of Broadcasters (the lobbyists for local stations) in Washington, D.C. complaining that the then and still current policy of allowing RV's but not boats receive the National Feeds from Direct TV was discriminatory. I instigated this letter.

When my boat was in DC that year I hand carried the letter over to the NAB offices and handed it to a representative. They would get back to us...

They did...and said that their stance would not change and that they would not support a change to the FCC. The policy was to protect the local stations advertisers whether you were there to see the commercials or not.

That was the end of that.

So, I called Direct TV and told them to change my SERVICE address to:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]80 Audrey Zapp Dr, Jersey City, NJ 07305. That is the address of Liberty Landing Marina. They asked me what county Jersey City was in and I said Hudson.

A few seconds later I was getting all channels, local and national, on my single LNB sat dish.

Scores of boaters have done this same thing. Be careful not to change your billing address and be prepared to find out which New Yorkers are getting murdered every night on the 6 o'clock news rather than in your home town. At 6:30 the same channel will have Lester Holt, John Muir or the new guy Jeff Glor.[/FONT]

Last edited:
We just went through this decision process.

As someone said above, we are rabid sports fans to decided to go Satellite.

If you want HD, doubt you could buy the satellite equip for 2k today. You could have a couple of years ago I think, but seems like DirectTV and Dish is very restrictive about how they are supporting HD. The cost of the DirectTV box was 2-3% of the satellite equipment.

We also added a local antenna both for all local channels and for those times we are out of the narrow cast beam.

DirectTV was a major hassle to get set up, but we got through it. Had Dish on previous boat - it was a hassle also.

Mark

At home we watch everything on Tivo. When we go on the boat (and want something to watch) I just download the file from Tivo to a large tablet before we leave home. I can play it anywhere at anytime. Can do the same thing with movies.

We don’t have a dirt home anymore, so can’t leverage Xfinity for internet viewing when away from home any longer. We upgraded to AT&T unlimited cellular service since our iPads and iPhones were already on their service. We already had a WiFi hotspot we weren’t using from a prior work temporary location and added it to our unlimited service plan. We added DirectTV Now service (owned by AT&T) that doesn’t count against our data usage (which IS NOT UNLIMITED after all) so we don’t worry about getting our data speed throttled because we watch ESPN or HBO after hours while cruising, we use an Apple TV unit (“free” gift from Direct TV for prepaying for 90 days service). We work remotely from the boat and NEED internet service to connect with and take care of our customers wherever we are. We also have a WiFi booster on the boat that we connect to any marina we happen to be in for a few days, saving on the data usage and providing connectivity for our security cameras when we are away from the boat with our WiFi hotspot on business trips. We also have an amplified over the air tv antenna that was on the boat when we purchased her, we use local stations for weather reports as we move around as well as learning about local events wherever we may be. The boat also came with a KVH system that we haven’t activated because we seem to always have service with the local antenna/Direct TV setup we are using. Bottom line is we are paying about the same for our data/tv service as when we had DSL/cable service at our dirt home.

We just watch over the air free tv via a glomex antenna. You just have to remember to scan channels every 30 miles or so.

That works, but there are limitations to it. Get too far away from home and:

a) DirecTV will know what you are up to and insist you lease a new bow for it (of course adding to your account to the tune of $20... $10 for the additional box lease and $10 for adding a box to your account)

b) The spot beam that carries your local station only hit (as the name implies) a specific spot on the globe. So you won't have access to them. I recall seeing an interactive map somewhere that let you view the range of your specific spot beam.

Dish TV does not have this limitation. Get an RV account and one may change locations at will always getting the locals.

Exactly. If we are not in the stadium on Saturdays in the fall then we are watching our team on TV.

We're sitting in a marina in Miami tonight watching the Heat play the Rockets on television. We haven't decided where we'll be on Superbowl Sunday but we'll definitely be watching the game on television in the boat. (Exceptionally difficult sea conditions this month continue to change our plans).

Now communications is also critical for us and we do have Satellite for Internet but that's a completely separate issue.

If you can’t stay away from the TV while you’re aboard you’re addicted.
Bring some good books aboard.

That's pretty harsh. What do you say to those with other "addictions"? Like say...I don't know... having 14 *THOUSAND* posts on a boating forum? :rolleyes:

Boom and guy,
It’s just an opinion.
What’s yours.

But your joke on me is great.
HaHa a strong case could be made.
Think I should retire?

Last edited:
Boom and guy,
It’s just an opinion.
What’s yours.

But your joke on me is great.
HaHa a strong case could be made.
Think I should retire?

My opinion is that you should read your book and the OP should watch sports on his new tv. I do both on my boat and am happy to have the choice.

I know its the nature of online forums, but I still have a hard time with people telling the other guy how he should enjoy his boat when he just wants help doing what he enjoys. Now get back to your book.

So, by a corollary, would that mean you were addicted to books instead? Perhaps we enjoy television. For us, it's that we very much enjoy sports.

Noooo! At least not until we have a definitive answer on what the best anchor is...;)

My opinion, your opinion, everybody's opinion...that's why we're all on here!
:thumb::thumb:. Well said Boomerang.
Nasty is not the way.

Why do we tell the man that "we don't want TV and go boating to get away from it, and it's all noise and blah blah blah????? If you don't like TV that's YOUR choice. Michael wants TV, that's HIS choice, and only asking for options to get it. If you have nothing to contribute, then DON'T POST..... (rant off).....

It's a pretty common theme. People post all the time that they never watch TV but someone must be watching it or there would be no content and no sponsors. It's like eating at McDonalds - nobody will admit to it but just try to get into the parking lot at lunch time!

I have a "marine" TV, made to run on 12 volts DC and a marine antenna and amplifier with a cable input. I can watch over the air TV or cable where available. I'll often watch a couple shows in the evening or maybe some sports. And of course, news and weather.

I understand the "get away from it all" attitude but you do need to keep an eye on the weather and the news can be important.

Eric,

What if I don't do either? I don't read books, and don't watch TV (much). I will watch the Weather channel reruns however.

Like you, I'd rather be addicted to a boating forum (or other forums).

Greetings,
Mr. a. EXACTLY the reason that there is still a TV on board OUR vessel. Weather and news that may be of interest to us. We very seldom watch TV simply to watch TV. Neither of us are sports fans nor do either of us have "favorite" programs. That being said, we were in Ft. Lauderdale when the horrific shooting took place at the airport (last January 2017). We DID watch the events that day.

Oh, and McDonalds? Nope, not for many years, for both of us. Same goes for most fast food establishments although I will admit to the odd meal from Subway...

Mr. S. Just saw your post....BOTH of us are prolific readers. Different strokes etc.

It's a pretty common theme. People post all the time that they never watch TV but someone must be watching it or there would be no content and no sponsors. It's like eating at McDonalds - nobody will admit to it but just try to get into the parking lot at lunch time!

I have a "marine" TV, made to run on 12 volts DC and a marine antenna and amplifier with a cable input. I can watch over the air TV or cable where available. I'll often watch a couple shows in the evening or maybe some sports. And of course, news and weather.

I understand the "get away from it all" attitude but you do need to keep an eye on the weather and the news can be important.

Aboatman,

I do like the idea of a marine TV, much more efficient on the battery. Are they similar price, haven't shopped.

However, I don't use TV for weather or news. I like the National Weather Service for weather, and gossip for news.

Greetings,
Ms. WB. Only for odd people...

200.gif

I stream the screen from my Garmin plotter/sounder to the TV in our salon, kinda neat looking when going over interesting bottom!

There are many who are cutting subscriptions such as Directv:

" AT&T's DirecTV and U-verse TV businesses were hammered in the third quarter of 2017, while the telco's over-the-top DirecTV Now service delivered its biggest quarterly increase since launching less than a year ago. The company reported a record quarterly loss of 385,000 traditional pay-TV subs, which ..."

But this does not mean people are giving up watching TV, just giving up spending big bucks to watch TV.

That's pretty harsh. What do you say to those with other "addictions"? Like say...I don't know... having 14 *THOUSAND* posts on a boating forum? :rolleyes:
Yea and its like telling some folks to give up drinking when they get on their boats.;) Talk about harsh talk,,,,

If you can't stay away from books while you are aboard, you're addicted.
Bring some good movies aboard.

Greetings,
If you can't stay away from anchors when aboard, you're adrift! Tie up to a dock, crack that book and put on Oprah!

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom